1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Is having your laptop on your lap harmful?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bikeboy99, Apr 21, 2011.

1. bikeboy99

bikeboy99 Well-Known Member

For males/females, Hopefully you guys know what im talking about

And if it is whats a way to avoid it?

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

I dont think it has been conclusively proven to be harmful, unless you have one of those laptops where the underside gets hot enough to cause physical burns.

3. bikeboy99

bikeboy99 Well-Known Member

Can you get sterile? From heat or radiation? Sorry if it sounds stupid

4. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

I've heard news reports about it, but I don't buy it to be honest with you.

And you can avoid it by putting it on your knees.

5. toffster92

toffster92 Well-Known Member

While too much of anything is always a bad thing, I don't think you need to worry about sterilization from the radiation emitted from your laptop, especially if it's one of the newer models.
    It's the same deal with the brain tumor fear from cellphones back in it's early days. While both devices do emit small quantities of radiation, and I mean really really minute traces, they only really affect your physiology if exposed to it over a long period of time - like say, the whole day. And even then, the effects are so insignificant they are easily patched up by your body's systems.

6. markswan

markswan Well-Known Member

The sperm enjoy the heat, it's like a tropical holiday for them.

7. NYman

NYman Well-Known Member

Actually, I have a ThinkPad, a small one. And it doesn't heat up so much. Only the big laptops burn your lap.

8. will1008

will1008 Well-Known Member

Some put a pillow or something below it.

9. Loonylion

That isn't necessarily a good idea because it could block air vents on the laptop, causing it to overheat and sustain damage.

10. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

If anything you want to put a hard, flat surface on your lap to place your laptop on. Like a wooden board or tray. This lets the feet on the bottom of the laptop do their job and keep the air circulation open.

The idea that using a laptop on your lap will make you sterile is wrong. While I suppose that if you set a hot laptop on your lap for many hours, and then ran a test on your ejaculate, you may end up with a lower sperm count for that one emission, I don't imagine there would be any damage to your testicles, only the sperm produce in that time frame. Also, all the laptops I've used have the heat vents near the back of the laptop, not the front. The heat would be coming down the middle of your thigh, not your crotch.

While I'm no expert, I'd imagine that wearing your tighty-whiteys for your whole life does more damage than a few hours of laptop-lap heat exposure. Those keep your testicles up against your body and unable to naturally lower to cool down.

11. Jonez001

Jonez001 Well-Known Member

Or get the PC real slow because all the power needs to go to the vent. Weird is that this doesn't happen when the laptop is on a desk...

12. Loonylion

no it slows down to reduce the amount of heat its producing because the heat isnt being vented.

13. Soluri

Soluri Well-Known Member

Meh, cold temperatures are better.

14. klaimore

klaimore Well-Known Member

I heard somewhere that some guy put a laptop on his lap cos its called a LAPtop and burnt his thighs.

15. Loonylion

Yes, that would be one of the ones that produces excessive amounts of heat.

16. yoshi2889

yoshi2889 Well-Known Member

That's why I bought the little laptop table that was in sale at the store, as I use our laptop frequently :p

17. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

It's actually pretty much agreed upon in the scientific community in Denmark that tight underwear does damage your sperm quality over time. Similarly they also agree that the heat generated by your laptop is damaging to your sperm quality. It's most likely not going to make you sterile, but if you can avoid it then you should.

18. usernameladiesman217

usernameladiesman217 Well-Known Member

Birth control, now available in laptop form.