1. This forum is in read-only mode.

How likely are you to get caught downloading torrents?

Discussion in 'Computers & Modding' started by stirgo1212, Mar 5, 2010.

1. stirgo1212

stirgo1212 Well-Known Member

Soo, I think many people download torrents on this site so Iv'e set up this poll answer HONESTLY not just for 'fun'

2. sylar1000

sylar1000 Well-Known Member

It all depends on where i download them from

3. yoshi2889

yoshi2889 Well-Known Member

I am unlikely.

I do not trust torrents.

4. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

torrents are by far the safest form of peer to peer.

5. yoshi2889

I do not trust them. My dad doesn't trust them either.

6. stirgo1212

stirgo1212 Well-Known Member

But you neverknow know who is watching you... There are a few companies who track your IP adress...
    But if you are unlikely then you trust torrents no? Unlikely means that you dont think you can download torrents.

7. yoshi2889

Unlikely means you do not get caught easily.

8. Paddette

Paddette Well-Known Member

If they track your IP address, they merely see swarmed data, but if they can link what you're downloading - I.E the downloaded .TOR files, or the hash, then they can look at you at connect you to illegal downloading, and send you an e-mail.

9. luvelias

luvelias Well-Known Member

Use peerblocker when you download torrents.

10. Paddette

PeerBlocker/PeerGuardian is mere peace of mind. It doesn't actually do anything.

It blocks IP's, but those IP's aren't checked.

11. bobafett1136

bobafett1136 Well-Known Member

I don't download torrents. :)

12. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

Very unlikely for me as I don't use torrents except to get Linux Distributions.

13. Jonez001

Jonez001 Well-Known Member

Isn't that an attack to your privicy?

14. yoshi2889

Uh-uh. that's why they do it!

15. snebbers

snebbers Well-Known Member

I don't know whether it is likely or not, I don't think about what BT do.

16. dragneon007

dragneon007 Well-Known Member

I'm pretty new to torrents and I already downloaded like 5 different torrent softwares without knowing what a torrent was or how it worked.

Sooo what are the chances of someone like me being Caught that has used torrents without peergaurdien or any protection?

17. luvelias

luvelias Well-Known Member

*shrug* same chance anyone will get caught. When I was in highschool like 3 people got caught downloading music and was fined 25 thousand dollars. Their parents had to pay for them cause they were minors.

On the other hand... my uncle's been torrenting/pirating since I was a toddler.... hasn't gotten hit yet.
    I think it comes down to luck and if you happen to be randomly chosen and checked up on. Then again I don't know how this crap works lol.

18. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

It has more to do with sharing. Most everyone that has got caught and fined has done so through old programs like Kazaa and Napster which listed you, and all the files you had. Then let people download them directly. This gave the MPAA and RIAA an easy target and easy proof to go after you. And they go after you for actually having the files available for upload.

19. Blade5406

Blade5406 Well-Known Member

Limewire...

I do not use it.

Go to an Internet shop/

20. Paddette

Not if they are your ISP - It's their internet. You are paying for a service.