1. This forum is in read-only mode.

My way of increasing the speed of desmume

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by T-Dub, Sep 21, 2010.

1. T-Dub

T-Dub Well-Known Member

Hello, everybody I've been reading forums about black & white, mainly about how to make them work properly on emulators. Which caught my eye the most was a No$gba topic and how the peoples on that thread was trying to find a save fix for the emulator.

...To be completely honest, I'll rather prefer no$gba over desmume anytime and I can't wait until they, until somebody finally find one. I've been no$gba for so long I never even gave it consideration of downloading other NDS emus...but since you can't save on it...YET; and I use that word strongly, I decided to swallow my proud and use the desmume. Oh, the irony! :eek:

...I've been usin'...as much I dread saying its name...'desmume'...For awhile now, I had no idea that it would run so very slow...and I mean, REALLY slow...

After reading a couple of forums on how to speed it up (which basically only increased the speed of the emulator slightly)...I've figured out a way, my own way, how to make it run faster...no lag in the music or nuthin.

First you'll have to make sure nothing up, besides the emulator; that mean no other browsers can be up beside the emulator (cuz, it's that pathetic) also you cannot still be connected to the internet...no lie; it'll still lag if you're still connected. That's how it does with me.

Anyways, after that set your settings to these commands:
    On the 3D setting use the Open GL

On the sound settings: Over the Synchronization Mode click Dual SPU Synch/Asynch, leave advanced spu logic unmarked. Next decrease the buffer size to at least 5000 or less. Also, make sure your interpolation's on None (fastest, sounds bad) and leave everything else untouched.

Moving to emulator settings
    Under the Bios section click 'Use external Bios images'
    Under that scroll down and find Emulate SWIs with Bios images, click it...Also under that, click the Patch Delayloop SWI (speed hack) as well
    As for everything else...leave it unmarked.

Now, to the Configuration section
    Well...I never really had problem with the overworld, it was the battles that always lagged with me.
    Okay, under Frame Skip set it to 4 or more...Also, I don't think it really matters if you check limit framerate or Auto-minimize skipping, but I've never marked them before...so, yeah...

Alright, after that go straight down to Display Method and click Directdraw HW and there...you're game should run smoothly.

Oh, I almost forgot the most important part, once you bring your emulator up you'll gonna have to stretch it out a bit...Um, well, it should look something like this:

[​IMG]

If this is done correctly, you will not encounter any lag doing the intro speech

Well, I hope this work for you all. It sped up the Pokemon/Wild Battle on my emulator.

Here's a few more things I learnt from a youtube video I saw.

You can add more speed to your desmume by downloading game booster 2 to temporarily stop programs in the background, don't worry you can switch it back and forth.

Click Here to Download Game Booster 2

Plus if you (and you have to do this while desmume's up) right-click the taskbar and click task manager, find desmume over image name and right-click desmume then click set priority. After that, find and click high priority. Remember to use game booster 2 first, before doing all of this. You game should at least get 55-62 fps during battles and maybe 49-58 fps while walking on the over world, well, that’s how it is for my computer.

2. awesomebros

awesomebros Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, but why did you need hypercam for a screenshot of the emulator?

3. T-Dub

T-Dub Well-Known Member

I didn't record, I only used it to take the pic.

4. awesomebros

awesomebros Well-Known Member

But print scrn+MS paint saves you the hassle and it has no watermark.

5. T-Dub

T-Dub Well-Known Member

lol thanks. I didn't know that.

6. meganova

meganova Well-Known Member

By changing the 3D settings to OpenGL can cause the game to go even slower, unless you have a good PC,
    using SoftRasterizer is still recommended, with both Edge Marking and Fog disabled.(unless the game need it)

Plus, using the External Bios Images may cause slowdown as well, this should left untouched unless your emulator freezes randomly, or using cheats.
    and for some reason you NEED to use it, just enable the 'Patch DelayLoop SWI' ONLY, leaving SWI's unmarked.

As for the Sound, increase/decrease the value of Buffer Size doesn't give any changes, unless you mute it.

I suggest keep the Frame Skip value below 3 or 4 as it keep the game run at stable framerate,
    using more than that can cause frame loop, and hang/stuck at random interval (for some games).
    Just set it to 3, disable the Limit Framerate, and enable Auto Minimized skipping if the graphic is not running smoothly.

7. DarknessDarkrai

DarknessDarkrai Active Member

The most important thing to remember while trying to increases the speed is that, in the "Emulation Settings" checking whether the tab under "General" named "Enable Advanced Bus-Level Timing" is enabled or not.

Keeping it disabled increases the gameplay speed alot. Along with that just adjust the Frame-Skip as it is required.

8. T-Dub

T-Dub Well-Known Member

well, for some reason, on my computer, decreasing the buffer rate and decreasing the volume on the emulator increases desmume's speed; I read what you wrote and I increased the buffer rate, but it seemed to slow back down again.

Also, playin on openGL runs the game better than on soft; strange as it might seems, it's true. Also, it seems to run faster on the NOSSE2 and sometimes when I click force maintain ratio.

Tho, the game and music does seem to lag and slow down, once entering big cites and routes/forest with lots of scenery around. (I'm talkin' Black and White)

...I'm not really sure if my PC's really old or new...I mean, I had it, like, since 2006 and it never gave me any problem. By the way, its a Window Vista Home Basic. Does that mean anything?

Guess what I'm saying, I'll rather play it on No$gba...too bad there's no save fix yet.

9. T-Dub

T-Dub Well-Known Member

I've updated my speed tutorial. LOL this was basically a bump.

here's my computer specs:

[​IMG]

sorry, I know the pic's a little iffy, but it couldn't be helped. soooo....yeah.

10. BBZekrom

BBZekrom New Member

Still lagging.