1. This forum is in read-only mode.

C:\Avenger.... what is this?

Discussion in 'Computers & Modding' started by timmy1991, Sep 7, 2009.

1. timmy1991

timmy1991 Well-Known Member

I ran malwarebytes on my PC earlier today, and it said I had to reboot in order to remove one of the infected files. When I restarted my PC there was a folder in C:\ called Avenger... could this harm my PC?
    AVG did not detect any virus in the folder.
    It contains the file secedit.exe

2. kamuikurou

kamuikurou Well-Known Member

Umm... I'm not sure but viruses or ad/mal/spywares usually hides themselves. And they can't be deleted/renamed/moved easily.

Anyway, try googling the secedit.exe and avanger keyword, it has some interesting results.

3. timmy1991

hmm... the search came up with everything from it being a virus to a log created by malwarebytes... still not sure what to do about it

4. kamuikurou

kamuikurou Well-Known Member

Can you actually delete/rename/move it? Does it recreate itself? :-\

5. timmy1991

ok I think I have found the answer... I looked on the malwarebytes forums, and they said that it is just a leftover file that was supposed to be deleted when I rebooted, and I can safely delete the folder

6. yoshi2889

yoshi2889 Well-Known Member

try for if you not sure AVG-free, it will detect real virusses and dont make them... www.download.com

7. timmy1991

AVG never said this was a threat, but I have it solved now

8. yoshi2889

maybe youre right... mine version is saying something: but its in dutch. it appears everytime when my computer is long time no use...

9. timmy1991

hmmm.. I don't know...I don't speak dutch either, the only error message I get after no using it for a while is a virtual memory shortage for some reason...

10. yoshi2889

Re: C:\\Avenger.... what is this?

i can translate... only this i cant translate: Trojaans Paard PSW.VB.ATL as i said: its in the sys. directory...
    Post Merge: [time]1254681518[/time]
    and, wait... you can get into your c/ drive?! my computer crashes anytime if i want that...

11. timmy1991

must be just your computer... I do maintenance on peoples computers a lot, and that's the place I always go first.... never had one crash on me because I opened C:/

12. yoshi2889

maybe that 'trojaans paard' thingy... i heard that it is some virus... hope it doesn`t infect my whole c:/ drive...

13. timmy1991

actually, now that I think about it... it has happened on one of my older computers before

14. Mikiie

Mikiie Well-Known Member

I lol'ed

15. timmy1991

I looked up your trojaans paard PSW.VB.ATL, it means Trojan Horse PSW.VB.ATL...
    PSW.VB.ATL is a password capturer, I highly recommend that you have your computer looked at and possibly re-install windows to prevent being hacked...
    it's spyware, so first download a spyware removal tool, and see if your problem is fixed, if not, you might want to go for the professional help, or a clean install of windows

16. yoshi2889

yeah... thats what i have...

17. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

So do I.

18. PuffyChain

PuffyChain Well-Known Member

try scan with kaspersky...

19. theunderling

theunderling Well-Known Member

Prevention is better than the cure.Get a good AV and the resident shield should stop these things from accessing your PC.

As for paying a professional-Id rather buy a new hard drive and a copy of Windows7 than waste money with them.

20. yoshi2889

Re: C:\\\\Avenger.... what is this?

??? My PC says this:

secedit.exe is a process associated with Windows Security Configuration Editor Command Tool from Microsoft Corporation.\r This file is part of Microsoft® Windows® Operating System

(Got from the internet)
    Post Merge: [time]1260552676[/time]
    T-T Why would someone hack me? You do not find any interesting files on my PC, exept my Opera passwords... (Wait a sec.: I saw that someone changed the maintenance text on my forum. It could be my admin mate, but I do not think he changed it like this: ''Hello, evil fellow members, this forum is closed, it will be opened soon for you to attack it again.'', thats not how I know him, and how everyone knows me. (I did not fantasied it, it is copied))
    Post Merge: [time]1260552783[/time]
    I didn't T_T