1. This forum is in read-only mode.

FFIX ePSXe black screen.

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Metametasystem70, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Please forgive me if I have missed something obvious. I have attempted to get this game to work on at least 4 separate computers over the past few years, spent days at a time, and downloaded from many different sources. Converted ISO to other formats, used old versions of ePSXe, played with settings and special game fixes. I can't figure this one out. The controller pops up in the top right-hand corner of a black screen when I load ISO. That's where the action ends. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Currently using Radeon HD5570, Windows 7, and Pete's OpenGL2.

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

you cant use pete's opengl driver with ati graphics cards, switch to one of his directx drivers.

use epsxe 1.5.2

3. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

Just so you know, 1.5.2 is pretty much MADE for Squaresoft RPGs.
    I'm sure all of the problems will resolve itself once you start it in 1.5.2.

4. I have ran 1.5.2, in the window that resembles command script, it appears as though it is working when I load ISO. The game window remains blank however.

Would that be Pete's OGL/D3D?

5. Loonylion

graphics are handled by pete's drivers. Opengl is only for nvidia cards, directx is for ati, and software is for the really shit graphics cards like intel and any ati/nvidia card with less than 16MB ram.

6. Thank you for your time and help, Loonylion. I am having difficulty figuring out which of Pete's drivers are designed for DX/ATI. I have attempted, in addition to his OGL drivers of course, D3D and P.E.Op.S. Soft GPU (Windows). Both continue to give a black screen. Is there one that I am missing? I have been all over pbernert.com which appears to be Pete's page.

7. Loonylion

d3d is the directx one. Post a screenshot of the settings you are using for that driver.

8. Loonylion

special game fixes aren't enabled, you have to check the box on the main graphics plugin configuration window as well as the relevant ones in special game fixes. You may also have to click 'select device' and choose your video card.

9. Video card now selected. Check in the box for special game fixes on the main screen. Exited and reloaded emulator. Attempted to run ISO, no change thus far. Also tested checking the box in 'Select Device' screen for 'Full-screen Flipping (Needed by some cards)'. Restarted emulator and tested again. Still no change.

[​IMG]

10. Loonylion

I'm going to go to bed shortly, but I'll try to reproduce your problem tomorrow.

11. Loonylion

Got it working with these settings, and also works in 800x600 windowed. It does take a bit to start.

[​IMG]

12. I don't get it. I haven't even heard audio. I think it is extremely awesome that you have done so much to help me, but I feel bad taking up this much of your time, if you get any desire to chalk this up to clashing software or something, please know that I won't blame you for a second. I don't often run into a problem I can't solve on my own, let alone with help, but I've already given up on this one 4 other times with 4 separate computers over the years. I loaded the ISO before typing this out, still black screen and no audio.

13. Loonylion

it does sit on a black screen for a while, but it starts eventually.

14. A few hours hence:

[​IMG]

15. Loonylion

you do have the bios file, right (scph10001.bin)?

16. Yep. scph1001.bin is in the bios folder and selected in the config.

17. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

Try messing with the 4 options under Compatibility. You may need to play around with those to get it to work for your specific setup.

I remember FF9 being a real hassle to get right.

18. Zukeeny

Zukeeny New Member

I know this is an old thread, but I recently stumbled upon it whilst looking for a fix, and although I didn't find a solution here.. I thought I'd stop by and post my fix for a similar issue.

The iso I had been trying to load was an .ecm file, in other words, it's still compressed. In order to decompress it, you must first download Neill Corlett's Command-Line Pack.
    (I can't post an external link, so just google it. Note: Click on the link that corresponds with your OS, NOT the source code)

Once you've unzipped the file, run the .ecm through the unecm application. Once the process is complete, run the newly decompressed image file as an iso in epsxe, and you should be good to go.

Hope that solves it for you ^^

P.S. I do not come here often, so if you have any questions, it may take quite a long time for me to see them.

19. Jhon 591

Jhon 591 Well-Known Member

They are other emulators out there try Psxfin

http://psxemulator.gazaxian.com/

No plugins needed, just bios.

Martin is working on a new psx emualtor http://nocash.emubase.de/psx.htm and mentions in the long run could lead upto a psx 2 .

http://nocash.emubase.de/psx.htm

"Playstation 2 (for examining it's PS1-compatibility, and maybe PS2 emu)"

Although this is in dedug development.