1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Help to boot moonshell 2 on start up

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by bannockburn1314, Feb 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fire_Ice

Fire_Ice Guest

For the moment you've got me confused so lets see if I get this straight:

You've got a R4 and you've got the right firmwire (I presume) and you wanted Moonshell
    I gave you the links to Moonshell and I understand you want to us Moonshell to start up your games.

That is impossible Moonshell is a tool to play DPG files and mp3 on your DS
    To start up up games you've got your firmwire or YSmenu.

So that means you need this in your micro SD card to work properly

R4firmwire (to play games etc.)
    YS menu (for games with AP that needs to be patched)
    Moonshell (to play mp3 and DPG files) (everything to run moonhell were in my previous post with the links)

If you've got this on your micro SD it will work properly (I've got a R4I RTS and it works with normale R4i RTS firmwire.

To start up Moonshell from your R4 press the middle buttton to start up Moonshell

If it isn't you can change that in your settings (for the moment I forget how to get there )
    and if they're correct the middle button will launch Moonshell

You can also enter your games folder and use the Moonshell.nds file it also launches moonshell
    (you can choose where to put Moonshell.nds but with R4 I always put it in my gamesfolder in case the middle button fails to work like in your case)

Maybe this will help you to get it work

2. fire_ice your confused well that makes two of us lol.Was already told earlier in this thread that it cant be done but i've seen it done all it all be it on a different card http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6N2orHTf60&NR=1 this is what i want.Moonshell 2 to boot up on start up and to be able to start my games from moonshell.I've tried this guide which suggests it can be done http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=149734
    Post Merge: [time]1266251089[/time]
    ok yoshiflip worth a try how do i do it,access the settngs?

3. yoshi2889

yoshi2889 Well-Known Member

EDIT: And just call me yoshi :p

4. yoshi simple instructions but im not getting it what do you mean by button start? oh hell you dont mean press start do you? told you i was a noob and what settings am i looking for ?

5. Fire_Ice

Fire_Ice Guest

I've looked at the video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6N2orHTf60&NR=1) and I don't know if you've noticed you can only do that on a Acekard 2i (Like I have with AKIO and not with a R4

That what you saw in the video can only be done with a Acekard2 2i with AKIO firmwire

6. then whats all this then? its clearly marked R4 INSTRUCTIONS

R4 Instructions
    WARNING: SPOILER INSIDE
    (show)
    (hide)

1) Extract the files of the r4denc package on your desktop.

2) Copy your R4-DLDI'd moonshl2.nds from the root of your card to the r4denc directory.

3) Drag moonshl2.nds over r4enc.exe. This will produce a file called "moonshl2.nds.DAT".

4) Rename moonshl2.nds.DAT into "_DS_MENU.DAT".

For users of Windows XP/etc., the .DAT extension might automatically be hidden. In this case, open any explorer window, go to "Tools", "Folder Options...", "View", check the Advanced Settings panel and remove the check from "Hide extensions for known file types." Keep it this way for now.

5) Copy _DS_MENU.DAT to the root of your card. From here, you can choose to overwrite R4's original _DS_MENU.DAT firmware file or just rename it to something else and keep it as backup. What matters is you get the renamed _DS_MENU.DAT at the root of your card.

Okay, now you can change it back. Follow the extra steps in the previous step and put the check back. It might get annoying when you're renaming files, so it's recommended you just keep the extensions hidden unless you discover you have an everyday use for them.

6) Create a new directory on your desktop called "r4ysauto".

7) Extract the contents of the r4ysauto package you downloaded into this directory.

8) Copy the YSMenu package you downloaded from Yasu's site into the r4ysauto directory.

9) Run r4config.bat and answer the questions accordingly. Anyhow, these are my answers:

Language: EN
    Flashcart: R4
    Overwrite: Yes
    Skin: No
    YSMenu Language: EN
    Ways To Install YSMenu: 4
    Automatic Updates: Off

10) Rename the YSMenu package you copied to the directory as "YSMenu0810211800.zip".

11) Run r4.bat. This will produce "R4_custom_English.zip".

12) Extract the files of this archive into the root of your card.

13) Create a new directory called "ysmenu" at the root of your card.

14) Move the YSMenu.nds you extracted from the R4_custom_English archive into the ysmenu directory.

15) DLDI-patch YSMenu.nds.
    Post Merge: [time]1266261810[/time]
    yoshi got into the settings but wher do i start looking?
    Post Merge: [time]1266261960[/time]
    ps ignore the no sound problem think i need to convert my dpg files again the issue is HOW TO LAUNCH GAMES FROM MOONSHELL anyone?

7. yoshi2889

yoshi2889 Well-Known Member

Moonshell launches Homebrew, I never saw it launch any normal DS game...

Start looking by ''Sound'' and (if it is there) ''Movies''.

8. GarY_Y

GarY_Y New Member

Since Moonshell 2.07 it has been impossible for people to launch games from Moonshell without this workaround: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=208136

Now I'll go back to lurking...

9. GarY_Y you the man,you solved it mate.I haven't tried the work around in the link but with the knowledge you passed on i got it working with moonshell 2.05.So to all those who said moonshell can't and will not ever launch games,i now have moonshell booting on start up and launching games on my r4.All credit for this goes to the geniuses over at gbatemp Commercial ROM Loading Guide with MoonShell 2 & YSMenu by rtnario/Blackiris/XX256.Thanks to all who contributed to this thread and tried to help.i'm now considering naming my 1st born son GarY_Y

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.