1. This forum is in read-only mode.

NDS R4 - White Screen when loading games

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by JenStar, Jun 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JenStar

JenStar Member

Hi All,

I have an R4 SDHC card for a Nintendo DS light which i have downloaded a few games onto for my son to play. For most of the new games i have downloaded, when trying to load them on the DS to play, the loading bar flashes up then quickly disappears and a blank white screen comes up (or in a couple of cases its a blank black screen - not sure if screen colour makes a difference!). At first i thought it was a broken file but it is happening with all the games i download and try on the DS.
    I downloaded a new firmware for the R4 (R4III dsl v3.09) which appears to run fine with the games i already had on the flashcart, some old and some new games. I accidentally deleted the original firmware on the SD card when cleaning it up to put the games for my son on (hence downloading the new version) so i'm not sure if this is playing a part in the problem.
    I've read the common issues thread and it mentions something about ARM7 patching but the links in the thread are broken and i have absolutely no clue where to start with it - i'm not techy minded at all.

Can anyone offer any advice on how to get a game to run or do the ARM7 patch? any help would be very much appreciated! :)
    Thanks in advance
    Jenni :) x

2. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

Your R-III flash cartridge's primary firmware/kernel is obsolete. It doesn't have the necessary offsets to load/run/overcome Anti-piracy protection. It needs a secondary firmware from third party to overcome this hurdle, in this case YSMENU/TTMENU.

Topic to refer to : http://forum.romulation.net/index.php?topic=43121.0

Steps to do in general :

1. Back up the SD Micro content to computer
    2. Full format the SD Micro
    3. Download and extract package from RetroGameFan : http://filetrip.net/g25123605-RetroGameFan-Multi-Cart-Update.html
    * Choose MANUAL DOWNLOAD when prompted!
    4. Return backed up files from step 1 (but still keep a copy in computer!) to your SD Micro
    5. Copy over R4_SDHC-R4i_SDHC TTMENU FOLDER from step 3 to your SD Micro
    6. Download and extract package from Jhon 591 : http://uploadmirrors.com/download/1CEZRUYL/DAT_s_v6362.rar
    7. Copy these files from step 6 (extinfo.dat, savlib.dat, and infolib.dat) and overwrite/replace the same files found in the TTMENU folder in your
    SD Micro
    8. Load your SD Micro to your flash cartridge, and try running it on your console.
    9. Run TTMENU.NDS or YSMENU.NDS first before loading whatever game you are trying to play. If done, correctly, it should work fine by now.

Note:
    When an update is posted in the topic page I gave. Be sure to replace those 3 .DAT files mentioned in step 7 to update your TTMENU/YSMENU to the latest version.

If your R-III has an "upgrade" behind it's name on the sticker label; in step 5 use R4_CLONE YSMENU FOLDER not the one mentioned above!

Hope this helps, and no you can't do ARM7 patching without proper know how. This is the simplest of solution you can try. In the case it doesn't load rom up to numbered 6362 (any rom numbered above that will have to wait until RetroGameFan release new update!) or causes error, then maybe your cartridge isn't supported by that secondary firmware. Thus simply reformat your SD Micro, and return backed up files from step 1 to return the SD Micro to it's original state.

PS: I won't be able to respond to you for next few days, hopefully other members (preferably Jhon 591 or RetroGameFan) could drop in and help you if there's any further question. Good luck.

Mariojacob7red likes this.
  3. Jhon 591

Jhon 591 Well-Known Member

Have a go at what Prectorian mention, But don't mess with any arm7 ;D

4. JenStar

JenStar Member

Thanks for the detailed response Prectorian. I really appreciate the I nd o. I'll have a go at what you suggest sometime over the next few days and let you once how it turns out :)

5. JenStar

JenStar Member

Hi Guys,

I've finally got around to having a go at this and really struggling.
    Besides the fact that the link for the 'DAT'd v6362' sent me round a load of pop ups that tried to infect my PC (eeek! :-[ )
    it doesn't seem to have helped but im not 100% that ive done everything correctly.

When booting my DS now, i run YSmenu.nds (there is no TTmenu.nds option) and then go to a game and try to run the game but nothing happens. It says 'booting' and then the box dissapears and nothing happens and i have to turn the DS off and ona again to do anything.

Have i just completely messed it up?

Sorry to be such a pain! i'm obviously just not meant to do this sort of thing :(

6. Jhon 591

Maybe retrogamefan could help you: http://gbatemp.net/threads/retrogamefan-updates-releases.267243/

All firmware and how to use it is on his first page.

Seam that R4 SDHC not much firmware supports this.

Not sure but maybe WAIO v1.16

http://forum.romulation.net/index.php?topic=39701.msg730923;topicseen#msg730923

7. JenStar

JenStar Member

Thanks for the response Jhon.

Would I just be better off investing in a new card to replace the R4?
    Can you recommend any that are worth the purchase?

Thanks again, I know I'm being a pain! Lol

8. Prectorian

Better buy other cart if trying to salvage the old cart isn't working for you. The R4i SDHC Gold from R4ids . cn or R4idsn . com would be your better option. If money permits, the more expensive SuperCard DSTwo won't let you down. But there are other carts that's good too, not limited to those.

9. Arthur Charles

Arthur Charles New Member

I personnally fixed this bug with Etrian Odyssey III by using Wood instead of the classic kernel.

10. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

that depends on exactly which variant of R4 you have; there are dozens of different ones and wood isn't compatible with most of them.

11. Jhon 591

on the contrary, the classic kernal is more updated then wood by half .

12. Mariojacob7red

Mariojacob7red New Member

I kind of have the same problem in a way. I've been researching as much as I could to get the game Rosario to Vampire : Tanabata no Miss Youkai Gakuen (J)(iND) to work on my R4 SDHC Dual-core card and it just gets stuck loading on a white screen. I've even tried loading the english patched version and I've used the MaxCrassMethod to replace the Arm7 and none of it works. Any thoughts on what's causing the game to not load? (I've attached as much info as possible for you to look at. Hope it helps and thanks ahead of time. :) )

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here's the NDS files if you need to take a look at them too.
    http://bit.ly/RosarioVampire
    (This one is the English patched one. -->) http://bit.ly/RosarioVampireEnglish

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  13. Prectorian

Just add latest 'TTMENU/YSMENU' v.7.0.5 to your SD Micro : https://forum.romulation.net/thread...-sdhc-r4-i-clones-m3-i-dsone-i.43121/page-185

Note:
    1. Back up your SD Micro content, then you format your SD Micro and return the backed up files into it
    2. Extract the file from RetroGameFan from link
    3. Your cart probably need either the R4 Clone folder or the R4 SDHC folder, just try copy that entire folder one at a time into the SD Micro to see which one will run on your cart
    4. Careful not to overwrite the original files from no.1
    5. Boot up your NDS, go to the R4 folder and load the YSMENU.nds or TTMENU.nds (depending on what's in the folder)
    6. Choose the game to play

14. Mariojacob7red

Mariojacob7red New Member

Ok. Thanks. I'll try and find time to do it this weekend if I can. I'll update you if anything happens or I might need help.

15. blackkitty

blackkitty New Member

hi! i usually download games from emuparadise, and that's been working like a charm. but now they removed all downloads cuz of haters, so i found your site, and it's not working at all. i've updated my manager, my software on the card, nothing works, just a white and black screen until i turn it off again.

16. Prectorian

Can you please be more informative? What is this manager you're referring to? What flashcart (brand/fullname)? Which rom (name)?

17. blackkitty

blackkitty New Member

i tried to insert a pic of the cards but it didn't let me. i'm using g6 u-disk managwer along with g6 flashcard
    i tried several roms like, dogz, dogz 2 and scribblenauts

18. Prectorian

Ok, the issue is not with the roms. That much I can assure you. If you don't trust my words, you can try it on a PC emulator such as No$GBA or DesMuMe, you'll see it run fine. The issue is your g6 flashcart kernel/firmware (which you refer to as software earlier) is old. Think it dates back to 2010 or 2011. It doesn't have ability to bypass roms that have piracy protection for games released after its last known firmware update, hence why you see white or black screen on your NDS when you attempt to launch the rom.

You could try to patch the rom using DS-Scene Rom Tool following this tutorial : https://forum.romulation.net/threads/patching-ds-roms-ap-and-translations.59991/. But if even after doing that doesn't help, well get an R4 cartridge. The g6 even back then was considered an unreliable product.

19. blackkitty

blackkitty New Member

that's wierd, the games i have that works, like super princess peach, i downloaded last winter. but i'll try following that tut and see if it works.

20. blackkitty

blackkitty New Member

okay so, now scribblenauts is working, but that's the only one that i could patch. the other ones it didn't find any patches for. so any suggestions?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.