1. This forum is in read-only mode.

safe trimming

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Neon32, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Neon32

Neon32 Neo-Noir

hey guys does safe trimming damage the gameplay / removes contents from the rom ?

and how is it different from accurate trimming ?

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

trimming removes null bytes used to pad the game data to the size of the chip it is stored on. it has absolutely no bearing on the game data itself

3. Neon32

Neon32 Neo-Noir

then how is it different from accurate trimming ?

4. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

I would guess that safe trimming will leave some null bytes, while accurate either does not or leaves less.

5. miguel_urbie

miguel_urbie Member

a game usually doesn't fill the whole memory...
    when you dump a game you read all the data on the media, including empty parts...

i am gonna use a nds game example because i guess safe trimming is related to the ds case...
    for example, a developer makes a game that is 96MB.. because several reasons they must put it on a 128mb memory (the closest size the game can fit)
    you can't purchace a dvd to old exactly 3.272.347.523 bytes to burn the video about the barbeque you made that sunday... you must purchase a standard 4.7gb one and there is a area that is wasted...

when you dump a rom, for several reasons including special or weird filesystems... you dump the whole memory... (128MB)
    then of course you can trim it, removing the left over data that is empty...
    i don't know exactly how the trim works, and i don't have knowledge to answer what happens..

but in the case of the DS.. trimming usually breaks the DS DOWNLOAD PLAY.. safe trimming tries to don't break it...
    if you don't use ds download play or multiplayer, it's usually safe to don't use safe trimming...

i can guess trimming removes a partition designed for ds download play.. or ds download play is located at the end of the data and some blank\null is part of it... (like the ds uploads data from x to x address, located at the end of the data )
    or maybe random checks to verify you are not using pirated games...
    but this is just a supposition and guessing...

6. Neon32

Neon32 Neo-Noir

i was using ds games, and thanks guys.