1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Do Gamecube games need an emulator to play on the wii?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Spratkid, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Spratkid

Spratkid Member

Alright, So I have downloaded Legend of Zelda-Wind Waker, and completely extracted the file. I figured since the wii was already intended to play gamecube games I could transfer the .iso using WBFS Manager to my USB and play the game. But this doesn't seem to be working... WBFS Manager doesn't appear to be transferring the file to the USB. Please Assist. ???

2. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

Note: I don't own a Wii, so this is the best I could come up with from Googling. There's also a Wii hacking tutorial written by fellow member 'Kiekoes' in the TUTORIAL SECTION. If you're still unsure, try GOOGLE SEARCH.

[quote author=https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Support/Parents/Hardware/Wii/Can-I-play-Nintendo-GameCube-games-on-Wii-/Can-I-play-Nintendo-GameCube-games-on-Wii--659664.html]
    Can I play Nintendo GameCube games on Wii?

This depends on which model you own. Please note that the Wii Remote cannot be used to play GameCube games, and that standard GameCube controllers or the wireless WaveBird variant are required. Simply plug any GameCube controllers, including WaveBird controllers, into the GameCube controller sockets on the Wii and select the game in the top-left channel on your Wii Menu.

Please note that Wii consoles bought in 2011 or later may not be compatible with Nintendo GameCube software nor accessories that use the Nintendo GameCube Controller Sockets, such as certain Dance Mat controllers.
    One way of finding out if a Wii is compatible with these, is by taking a look at the Model No. placed above the bar code on the system packaging, as shown in the sample image below. Note that the location of the Model No. on the packaging may differ.

[​IMG]

If the Model No. starts with RVL, the Wii system IS compatible with Nintendo GameCube software and accessories.
    If the Model No. starts with RVK, the Wii system IS NOT compatible with Nintendo GameCube software and accessories.
    If the packaging is not available, you can find the Model No. also at the bottom of the Wii system.
    Note that the packaging of a Wii console that is not compatible with GameCube software will also not contain a console stand.[/quote]

So if your Wii is one that doesn't, then maybe what you need is : http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Wii_Gamecube_Homebrew_Launcher.