1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Manila Water stumbles upon underground tunnel in Makati City

Discussion in 'General News' started by Cahos Rahne Veloza, Jan 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

Source: http://www.gmanews.tv/story/210573/report-manila-water-stumbles-upon-underground-tunnel-in-makati-city

The instance I saw this news article one "fantastic" & a bit "Conspiracy Theory-ey" idea popped out of my mind.... The Yamashita Treasure!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamashita_treasure

But meh, that's just me forever hung on "National Treasure" that movie Nicholas Cage starred in :)

One "comment" by someone on the news article page does however state that the tunnel might be but one of several underground tunnel systems that are below the city's streets that once served us escape routes during the Japanese Era or even beyond that during the Spanish Era.

2. calvin_0

calvin_0 Well-Known Member

i bet there is a fully operationally alien lab down there

3. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

there's quite a lot of stuff like that in the UK. Large parts of Victorian Manchester still exist, buried under the modern city, and if you can find your way in there's a wealth of stuff to explore.

4. damanali

damanali Well-Known Member

OR, that is the work of those tunnel burglars. Didn't it come out of your mind that it might be those thieves that are trying to rob a bank, pawnshop or some financial establishment?

Its already known that the new tactic in bank robber and pawnshop heist is done using tunnels.
    One case is the BPI Branch in Iba, Zambales, and the Pawnshop in Pasay where the thieves even entered a raw sewage pipeline.

And the fact that it was found in the Makati area, "The Financial Capital of the Philippines" it might be either the thieves or it was supposed to be a pit for the MRT line.

5. Cahos Rahne Veloza

A quote from one of the comments on the weblink:

English Translation of the first two sentences:

Those tunnels were constructed prior to (or during) the Japanese Era. Inside the grounds of Our Lady of Guadalupe Minor Seminary (OLGMS) are underground tunnels that were said to run beneath Highway 54 (EDSA).

Also if I recall Correctly (IIRC) there are also such tunnels beneath Fort Santiago...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Santiago

... that connects to underground chambers below old Manila in Intramuros.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intramuros

6. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

I doubt robbers would build a tunnel big enough for several dump trucks. it sounds more like something official.

7. will1008

will1008 Well-Known Member

Maybe there are some important stuff there, like Marco's ill-gotten wealth. Or jools.
    inb4peoplerecognizetolkienreference
    inb4wut?

8. Cahos Rahne Veloza

More like, "officially mandated to be created & the plans for it were lost & forgotten".

That's one of the biggest problems City Planners have done to various buildings & locations in this country. Instead of preserving buildings & cites of historic value they simply tear such places done & build stuff over it/them to fit their own designs. A very good example of this is how old Manila was re-planned where all of the original estuary systems that were created back in the Spanish era were either filled with land as part of reclamation or have been buried in garbage. These canals & estuaries were designed to curb flooding during the rainy seasons but because most if not all of them are now gone, flooding is a major issue during the rainy months.

9. damanali

damanali Well-Known Member

Then it probably would be an allocation for the MRT/ Metro Rail Transit. If you have rode the the MRT train here, its not like PNR/ Philippine National Railway which is on the ground, or LRT1 and LRT2/ Light Rail Transit which is above ground. The MRT was built not to impede the traffic in EDSA, it could go above ground, underground or ground level. So probably, it was a scrapped allocation for the MRT.

Is it plausible to be several dump truck wide? Yes it is. Is it plausible to be an underground tunnel, i hardly doubt it but still plausible, why? By studying tunnels like done in Iwo Jima, Singapore, and Bataan&Corregidor in the Philippines, Most of these tunnels are not several dump trucks wide, most tunnel are passable by only at least 2 men, and a lot are even only 1 man passable.

But of course, everything is possible and its still a great discovery. My question is, why build a tunnel as wide as several dump trucks? Tunnels back then are made for secret passage to an area, but several dump truck wide would be incredible purpose.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.