1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Help loading shining force 3 in SSF

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by trickofthehand, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Hello to the community. First of, yes I did search the forums but whether because of my extreme non-technical savvy or retardation I can't get my Shining Force 3 ISO to work. I'm using latest SSF emulator and downloaded a Shining Force 3 ISO (can't remember website). I've searched and found numerous guides but I still can't seem to get it work. FYI I'm using Daemon Tools lite to load a cd image.

If anyone can get SF3 to work with SSF or any other emulator please let me know exactly how to get it to work. Detailed instructions big plus :)

2. funguy

funguy Well-Known Member

Shining Force III gave me a headache a while ago,

the rom/iso is corrupted, I got it to work however, by using an app called CDmage,

download CDmage, and scan your Shining Force iso for corruption, CDmage should detect flaws,

then click repair.

Any probs, pm me, and I'll try to help you through it

3. meganova

meganova Well-Known Member

Are you using a virtual drive to play it??

4. funguy

funguy Well-Known Member

he mentioned he was using daemon tools

5. Funguy, If I knew you irl I'd buy you a beer. Thanks for taking the time to read my post and to actually reply and help me solve my issue. You're a credit to these forums.

6. meganova

Daemon Tools = Virtual Drive. ;D

7. Yes I'm using Daemon Tools Lite, and got a new problem. The game works fine however every once in a while, randomly, I get a "CD READ ERROR! PLEASE CHECK CD AND PICKUP LENS."

I'm using SSF Ver0.10 beta R1

Any ideas? I haven't been able to replicate the error, it's always random but generally happens after entering a building. I've tried unmounting and remounting the .cue file and 'opening' and 'closing' cd tray commands. Either way it's pretty much a hard crash of the game, not the emulator itself.

8. funguy

funguy Well-Known Member

the emulator I use is SSF_010_test,

with this emulator, I do not get the errors you are getting now

also make sure the bin and cue file file are named exactly the same

as in Shining..... .bin and Shining...... .cue

If you are still having problems, I will upload my working iso

let me know

9. trying new version of ssf now. I assume I don't need a BIOS with this version?
    Post Merge: [time]1256003078[/time]
    So far so good, much thanks again funguy. Game runs a little bit choppy in outdoor areas though, any suggestions on improving performance? I've got a pretty good rig (good enough to run most fps on max graphics).

10. meganova

.............You need bios for each version. ;D

Improve performance? means... you need higher computer specs.. ;D

11. Actually I'm playing the emulator funguy suggested with no bios loaded. I had heard that some SSF emulators didn't need you to download one.

Here's my specs:
    Pentium 4 3.20GHz processor, 3 gigs ram, NVIDIA GeForce 8800gts, 500gigs hd (duals).

How much higher do I need considering I can play every FPS i've bought at high to very high settings? Don't get me wrong I'm glad to be playing the game w/o having to fork out 200$ for a copy of SF and another 50 for a SS. It's not gamebreaking or anything, just the choppiness in outside ares is annoying.

P.S. funguy: you ever find an iso of scenario 2 or 3 that was translated and works on an emulator or am I just going to have to go back to wow until Dragon Age comes out after I beat scenario 1?

12. funguy

funguy Well-Known Member

hi, I'm glad you have it working,

your pc's specs are more than ample for ssf, nice gfx card too :),

yes, I do have scenario 2, (it's yours if you want it), again, let me know, and I will upload it

as for scenario 3, it never got translated, which is a great shame

13. I would make man-love to you if you uploaded scenario 2 :) I've been playing trying to keep scenario 2 in mind, looking forward to playing with Arthur again.

Honestly, leave it to Sega to have it's head so far up it's ass that they never bothered to bring over Scenarios 2 and 3 to a game that got great reviews for saturn, and that's rare. Now the japanese are making Shining Force Feather (i'm sure the awesomness of the title got lost in the translation) into a fighting game with button press combos. I'm not sure if it's sheer stupidity or an overwhelming desire to destroy the Shining Force franchise on their part, but how do you not get the point that everyone hates the barrage of shitty Shining titles that share nothing with the originals?

It's pretty sad really, all three originals got rave reviews, whilst all the other Shining titles that strayed from the rpg/strategy build did horribly. Yet they still don't get the point. These people are the Uwe Boll of game development.

14. funguy

funguy Well-Known Member

lol @ the man-love, ye the Shining Force series, what a great gaming experience i found the series to be,

It's good to find someone else who enjoyed and appreciated the first 2 installments,

I have the first 2 installments on my wii, downloaded from the VC

I will upload scenario 2 for you soon, and post you the link

As for Shining Force Feather, I have read nothing on this game, i just read Shining Force in the title

and am waiting eagerly for it, I do hope they haven't ruined too much of the original gameplay

here you go http://www.megaupload.com/?d=2DZ5TJBL

15. Feather is a title for DS, it's still strategy but when you attack you have to do a combination of button presses, similar to any console fighting game, to do different attacks. You can also do combo attacks with other team members (requiring more button press combos). Also there's only 11 characters in the game I believe.

/sigh such waste of potential of a superb series.

Once again many thanks, if you ever find scenario 3 let me know :)

Have you heard of this by the way?

http://forums.shiningforcecentral.com/index.php?showforum=34

16. funguy

funguy Well-Known Member

Damn! I had high hopes for this game

like you said, why destroy a winning formula? oh well, another another missed oportunity for sega

that's an interesting forum, and no I haven't heard of it before, but I will take a good look at it

thanks for the link

I didnt think you would be interested in Scenario 3, as it didn't get translated, but ye sure i'll let you know

enjoy your games

17. New oddity using the emulator you suggested. At the start of Chapter 3, anytime I exit the headquarters the entire emulator crashes. I went back to SSF Ver0.10 beta R1, found the priest and saved the game then tried reloading it with SSF_010_test but again it crashed upon loading the savegame. I'm hesitant to keep playing with the beta version even though it seems to work because of the persistent cd errors I was experiencing originally.

I'm going to try to get out of that town by finishing all the fights and see if it's just that town the emulator doesn't like or if it's all of Chapter 3. You ever experience any of this when you played through Scenario 1?

18. funguy

funguy Well-Known Member

I surprised to hear that, no that emulator has never crashed on me

Isn't this twice now on 2 different emulators for you?

very strange, I don't know what to suggest, apart from you trying another emulator

p.s. I wonder if it's because you aren't using the bios.....just a thought

19. meganova

That CD mage is confusing..
    Could you provide a short tutorial?

and the setting for your SSF too. ;D
    and bios that you're using for Shining Force 3.

20. funguy

funguy Well-Known Member

confusing? all the options for the CDmage are at the top,

browse for rom/iso for it to scan, then click the repair option if it has found corruption

settings for SSF, the main thing to set is the area code,

mine is set for America, Canada,Brazil, as I use U roms

I have'nt messed with any of the other options, wasn't no need

you have to make sure the drive letter in daemon tools picks up the emulator, that confused me when I first used it

the bios are SEGA_100

hope this helps

p.s forgot to mention, the bio's location has to be set also, there is a browse button for that