1. This forum is in read-only mode.

(TUTORIAL) YSmenu for r4 and all of its clones(easiest way)

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by afrokid13, Dec 3, 2009.

1. afrokid13

afrokid13 Well-Known Member

You will need:
    R4ysauto http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=103879(this is the best and probably the only way to install it to an r4 clone such as r4 III, R4 gold edition, R4 SDHC etc.)
    Latest YSmenu firmware http://home.usay.jp/pc/etc/nds/
    to find the file press f3 then paste this into the search bar 2009/03/27 00:00(This will definitely change everytime there is a new YSmenu release)
    winrar is a must always. There are some great tutorials here on romulation to install that.

NOTE: I suggest you backup your files in a folder on your desktop just in case, also these instructions work for the m3 and n5 too as the m3 is the same as the r4 and the n5 is a clone of the r4 but it has different firmware files so it is impossible to install it as a firmware, all the other options work though.

1. Extract all the contents from the Ysauto archive to a folder
    2. Put the YSmenu firmware you downloaded in the same folder
    3. Rename the YSmenu firmware archive to YSMenu0810211800
    4. Run the r4.bat file
    5. After it does some stuff it will ask you which language the installation process should be in, the options are English, German, and Dutch I believe
    6. Then it will ask what flashcart you use, the options are R4/N5/M3
    7. After that it will do some more stuff and then it should say press enter when it�s done
    8. If you have a skin it will say it found a skin and asks if you want to use it. If you say yes it uses the first skin in your skin folder (if you have an r4, so it would use whatever theme is in your theme1 folder) it will also notify you if it found a GBA frame. Write yes if you want to use this skin.
    9. The next step will ask what language you want Ysmenu to be in, the options are English, French, Dutch, Japanese, German or Spanish. Choose the language you prefer.
    10. Now here is the important part.
    At this point the options are the following
    1. Install Ysmenu as a firmware
    2. Install Ysmenu as an automatically starting NDS file
    3. as a replacement for moonshell(using the middle button on the r4 menu)
    4. Like any NDS file

Installing Ysmenu as a firmware only works on the original r4 card, although there are some rumors that it can still work on a clone if you leave in a file that is distinct to that card. For example the r4 III (which is the card I am testing this on) has a file called r4III.dat which the original r4 doesn't have. Supposedly if you were to leave this file in the root of your card along with the other Ysmenu files it would work, but from my tests it hasn't worked, but if I do get it working I will edit this.

Installing Ysmenu as an automatically starting NDS file. This is the best way to install it on a clone if you want to make the complete switch. This method creates an .NDS file that starts automatically when you turn on your DS. Make sure you still have the original firmware for your card.

Installing YS menu as a replacement for moonshell. Instead of pressing the middle button to launch moonshell when you press it it launches YSmenu. This is for people who still want to keep their original firmware and be able to �dual boot� into Ysmenu.

Installing Ysmenu like any NDS file. This will install YSmenu as an NDS file. This is also another method of �dual booting� but instead of replacing the middle button it will show up as an NDS file on your card so you can launch YSmenu from there.

11. After you have chosen your option it will say YSmenu has installed successfully press enter. When you press enter it will exit out of the program. Wait a couple of seconds and if you have winrar (which you�re supposed to have) a zip file will pop up will all the necessary files for the option you picked. Extract all the files to the root of your card.
    12. ENJOY!

All the pros and cons of YSmenu can be found here(scroll down) http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=97615

Personally I �dual boot� YSmenu and my original firmware. I am probably going to make the full switch soon though because it recently found out about YS skin selector. The only reason I kept the old firmware was so I could still have multiple skins but with the skin selector there�s no limit on how many I can have vs. 12 with original firmware and just one with Ysmenu without skin selector.

I made the full switch sorta recently. I now use method 2 on my r4 III and on my original r4 I use YSmenu normally. I am glad I switched everything works better, and I can have as many themes as I want compared to the limit of 12 with the original r4 firmware with YS skin selector

I use YSmenu because it supports GBAtemp's massive cheat database. I can't use it with the original firmware because the cheat file is too big, and there is a patch to fix this but it makes everything Japanese. Also, with YSmenu there is no need for GBAexploader because YSmenu supports GBA ROMs as long as you have a slot 2 card. It will also support SNES, NES, GB, and GBC ROMs as long as you have the emulator in the root(only applies to some emulators I believe, Doesn't work with Lameboy, Snemul, or Nesds)

UPDATE:
    By Duncan Idaho
    Thanks for this information and the link

(this only applies to the dual boot method)

for those who Ysmenu is not working, go and erase the TTmenu and the Ysmenu firmware, seek the firmware that has an Xbox360 background its the one thats actually working, and also decompress the unofficial TTmenu, now you should see several .dat or similar items (r4patch, etc.) those items drag them inside the TTmenu folder, now move the Ysmenu .nds app to the root of the Sd card and do the same for the TTmenu folder, now it should run the game, in case it does not works remove from the TTmenu folder the items you placed inside

im leaving a link with the firmware + the TTmenu alreday fixed for those who are intrested:

http://www.mediafire.com/?w1judgwdzlj

UPDATE:
    This should solve the messed up saves, another thing that can solve it is renaming your TTMenu folder to YSMenu

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=141993

the savlibs and infolibs can be found in your TTMenu or YSMenu folder

make sure you replace those with these

NOTE: this is optional but solves problems for some Saves like Pokemon Platinum

Thanks to: The talented people at GBATEMP for all these files and programs and thanks to Yasu who is the talented programmer behind YSMenu

2. voldemont

voldemont Active Member

:eek: Im a bit lost, so when im trying to download R4Sauto wich file do I download? TTYSauto or TTyConfig? or both? and Also where the R4.bat file? I donwloaded both files and I cant find it. Has anyone tried it on a R4 SdHc??

3. afrokid13

use the GBAtemp link up there and click the download link that says Download(mirror)

then extract all those files into a folder called YSauto or whatever you want to call it, make sure the folder you extract it into is empty.

the r4.bat file is in the archive which you need to extract to a folder.
    sometimes the file extensions are hidden so it might just be called r4.

It will work on any r4 clone as long as you have the firmware for that cart using method 2 through 4

4. Duncan Idaho

Duncan Idaho Well-Known Member

the .bat file will run onto a macintosh based computer?

if not can any one help me to do the file thats needed for an N5? due thats the flashcard im using (firmware 1.31)

5. voldemont

voldemont Active Member

;D thanks afro kid!! I'll try it when i get home

6. afrokid13

no problem

I have no clue about macs but im pretty sure .bat is a windows based file.

If you are using an N5 there is no way you can replace it as a firmware
    you can however do methods 2-4

I'm sure there are premade files of all the methods that you can download somewhere but you are gonna have to look around.

7. supernova-777

supernova-777 Active Member

can anyone help i ran ys menu on my r4 sdhc and it worked but then when i try to play a game it says "Unsupported DLDI Name"
    can someone help

by the way when it said which flash card i'm using i said r4 is that correct?

8. nanamal

nanamal New Member

yessss!!!!!!!!!!!finally works!! thank you afrokid you rock!!

9. Duncan Idaho

afrokid13 could you please add this little piece of info i discovered to the first post:

(this only applies to the dual boot method)

for those who Ysmenu is not working, go and erase the TTmenu and the Ysmenu firmware, seek the firmware that has an Xbox360 background its the one thats actually working, and also decompress the unofficial TTmenu, now you should see several .dat or similar items (r4patch, etc.) those items drag them inside the TTmenu folder, now move the Ysmenu .nds app to the root of the Sd card and do the same for the TTmenu folder, now it should run the game, in case it does not works remove from the TTmenu folder the items you placed inside

im leaving a link with the firmware + the TTmenu alreday fixed for those who are intrested:

http://www.mediafire.com/?w1judgwdzlj

10. Jhon 591

Jhon 591 Well-Known Member

why not make a few pre-patched versions one for each super card and post the hear?!,

11. Duncan Idaho

the problem is that the patch as far as my knowledge goes its avaible for the R4 in exclusive, so Ysmenu si the option for the clones.

12. supernova-777

supernova-777 Active Member

I Placed the files into the root on my sd card and its the same except now it's in spanish and there's a change in background

when i run ysmenu and then the game i want to play it says unsupported dldi name
    and then when i run akaio 1.4.1 and then ysmenu it says booting but it just keeps booting forever

what can i do to fix the problem

13. Duncan Idaho

did you used my download link?, the problem is that you migth have sent more files than the nescesary, also try removing them, for some reason only works on certain cards.

look how YSmenu should look:

[​IMG]

when you decompress the Ysmenu rar file you should see several files the ones who arent shown in the picture are meant to go inside the TTMenu folder.

14. Noob1996

Noob1996 Guest

I'm having the same problem.
    Someone knows how to fix this?

15. afrokid13

Yasu hates and forbids this and no one cares and ignores him
    poor guy

besides I've never uploaded anything to the internet :p
    but if you are interested I could pre-patch it like you said then email them to you and let you do the rest. Super card? this if for r4, M3, N5 and clones

you guys didn't use the latest YSmenu. Read carefully the instructions are up there

Latest YSmenu firmware http://home.usay.jp/pc/etc/nds/
    to find the file press f3 then paste this into the search bar 2009/03/27 00:00

download that file

and RENAME it to this "YSMenu0810211800" (without the quotes of course)

thats not the file you are supposed to download

this should solve supernova and Noob1996's problem
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    would anyone be interested in a YS/TT skin selector tutorial
    it enables multiple skins in YSmenu and TT ds

16. Noob1996

Noob1996 Guest

Still got the same error..

17. afrokid13

did you download the right file and do the process all over again?

which method are you using?(1,2,3 or 4)

18. Jhon 591

Don't forget to (Note) that ysmenu was made for original or remake R4 cards, but not for R4 SDHC cards...

19. yoshi2889

yoshi2889 Well-Known Member

Does it work at an R4i-SDHC Upgrade? I still got the R4-SDHC if its needed...

20. Jhon 591

Lest but try and let us know, Mabe afrokid13 could add it to a list of works and non-works, mabe?