1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Nintendo 2dsi xl problem

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by djl79, Nov 6, 2014.

1. djl79

djl79 Member

Hi folks, my son had a ds lite with a r4 card full of games, now the machine is broken so i just bought him a 2dsi xl that i was told is compatible with ds games, must be only with original games, because my r4 card doesn't work, what can i do, do i need a different card like a r4i? Or do i need to change anything on the existing one? Please help :(

2. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

There's no 2DSi XL. There's NDS, NDSL, DSi, DSi XL, 2DS, 3DS, and 3DS XL. So I'll just assume you meant DSi XL even though the below response is valid for any newer Nintendo handheld generation after the NDSL, with the firmware version different.

The issue is with your R4 not the rom; either it's one that doesn't support DSi or if it does will require updated firmware from it's official website. DSi console run a certain firmware version, being v.1.45 as the latest. In which case the R4 has to be upgraded to the version the DSi is running or even better, upgrade to v.1.45 if available. If none is available from it's official site that matches your cart, then you'd obviously will need to buy a new one that does. On a side note, if the DSi firmware is above v.1.43, even if the cart has upgrade to run on it or higher, you'd need an older handheld to perform the upgrading, before getting the R4 to run on that DSi. There' no way to upgrade on a console that blocks it from running.

3. djl79

djl79 Member

Yes sorry us tge dsi xl, how do i know which firmware version do i have in the console and in the cart abd hiw can i change it? Thanks @prectorian

4. Prectorian

To view the DSi's firmware version, switch on your DSi without any cartridge inserted in the bay, once boot up, go to settings, the version number is at the bottom right of the screen.

As for the R4, it's likely not possible as it should have been easily viewed with the cartridge inserted in the console's bay. However in your case that can't be done since it's blocked from running on it. You might be able to find it by inserting the R4's SD Micro in your computer and manually searching through the files in it. But most likely not, so whatever it is, it's logically is below whatever the DSi's firmware is running on anyway.

What's more crucial is what R4 brand you have. Up to now you haven't mention its exact name or its website address. What you must do is check the R4's sticker on its body or packaging to know its official website, and see if the sticker mention of it being compatible with the DSi. Go to that site if the sticker says it does support DSi, see if they have newer firmware for you to use to upgrade your R4. Make sure to match the image on the site found above the newer firmware with that in your possession. You cannot use random firmware even if it's from the same official website, and of cause there will be no use trying if the cart's sticker didn't mention it being compatible with the DSi. Assuming it's compatible and a newer firmware is available for it, hopefully v.1.45. Then next would be finding an older NDS/NDSL/DSi running v.1.43 to perform the upgrading. Remember you can't do so on your own DSi, as I suspect it's running v.1.45. If you can't find update from the cart's official website or anyone with an older NDS handheld, you should consider buying a new cartridge and ask the seller to pre-install it with the latest firmware that does at least support v.1.45.

That's it. Good luck.

5. djl79

djl79 Member

Thanks a lot, I'll try :D

6. djl79

djl79 Member

@prectorian sorry to be such a pain, kernel is the same as firmware? My card is the r4 upgrade revolution for ds wi-fi and on the web site www.r4i-sdhc.com shows me ss onky kernel download the version 1.80, do you think if i removed the old files and add this ones, should work? For my new dsi xl?

7. djl79

djl79 Member

Sorry v1.80b

8. Prectorian

Yes, kernel is the same as firmware. If your cart is officially from that site, and is the one with the 'WiFi' on the sticker, then yes, it would be able to be upgraded to v.1.80b for it to then be usable on your v.1.45 DSi XL. However, as I've mentioned, you can't do the cart upgrading using that DSi XL as your cart at current is blocked by its firmware. You'll need to use an older NDS handheld to do the upgrading of your cart before it can be use on that DSi, and do back up the SD Micro files before proceeding. Again please remember that if your cart is not from that website, don't try to use it, there are several similarly named R4 carts in the market, using firmware not meant for it could damage it, be sure to recheck with the address provided on the cart's sticker or packaging. Make sure the handheld to use in the upgrading process been fully charged, and follow the steps as instructed by the website.

9. djl79

djl79 Member

Thanks so much

10. djl79

djl79 Member

Is the website written on the card, but on the website list shiwa exactly the same card but without wifi written on it, i guess it will be the same, wouldn't it? Sorry for so many questions, thisbis honestly all new to me ans have absolutely no idea, but i appreciate your help a lot and if i get it working it will make my son a very very happy kid

11. djl79

djl79 Member

When you say upgrading is deleting the existing files on the sd micro and move all the files downloaded from the website to the sd micro or i have to do something else? @prectorian

12. Prectorian

I'm kind of confuse with what you're talking about, it seems to me that you're translating Mandarin to English and back. So maybe I should explain in a bit more detail about this since it seems also that you're not sure if your cart is from that website you mentioned earlier. So here goes;

Most NDS flash cartridges provides their official website address on their cartridge's sticker (that's the sticker you see stuck on the flash cartridge's body), if you can't find it on the sticker, then it can be found written on the packaging (box/plastic pack) when you first bought the product from the store. Keep in mind that there are fake flash cartridges going by very similar name with that of its original, and there are also web sites that no longer exist. I should point out that one example of a clone/fake cart that goes by similar name and website to the one you mentioned is for example r4i-sdhc . hk. If your cart is from this .hk website you cannot try using the .com source. They are 2 different producers despite the similarities.

See below for illustration where to find the cart's official website, here I am using the images from the website you had linked to me earlier (assuming that your cart is indeed from that site):

[​IMG]

Again, I should stress that just because 2 flash cartridges goes by the same name and looks similar, doesn't then means they came from the same producer. You have to be very careful. You cannot use random kernel/firmware that originates from other producer just because they look or named similar. Even from the same producer you need to be careful, make sure to match the image on the website screen with the flash cartridge that's in your hand.

See below; For example, that website you linked to me, it has at least 4 cartridges that goes by similar names, but as you'll notice for example, (see image no.3 and no.4) there are 2 that looks very similar between them with only an " i " behind the word R4 that distinguish their difference. So be careful.

[​IMG]

So now, make absolute sure that your cart came from that web site first. If it is, then which one is it among those 4 images that is yours. If it's not among them, find again the correct web site address or take a photo of the flash cart you have and post it here. (* if you need to post a photo, upload it to tinypic.com, copy the IMG CODE, and paste it to your post)

Allow me to explain each cart compatibility if your cart is indeed from that site you linked to me earlier;
    [list type=decimal]
    [*]Image No.1 : R4i 3DS WIFI RTS; this cart works on NDS Fhat, NDS Lite, DSi, DSi XL, 2DS, 3DS, 3DS XL. Supports DSi firmware v.1.45, 2DS firmware v.9.2, 3DS firmware v.9.2.
    [*]Image No.2 : R4i Upgrade Revolution for NDS WIFI v.1.4 or R4i Upgrade Revolution for NDS WIFI (without v.1.4 written on the sticker); this cart works on NDS Fhat, NDS Lite, DSi, DSi XL. Supports DSi firmware v.1.45. Does not work on 2DS, 3DS, 3DS XL.
    [*]Image No.3 : R4 Upgrade Revolution for NDS; this cart works on NDS Fhat, NDS Lite, DSi, DSi XL. Supports DSi firmware v.1.45. Does not work on 2DS, 3DS, 3DS XL.
    [*]Image No.4 : R4i Upgrade Revolution for NDS v.1.4 or R4i Upgrade Revolution for NDS (without v.1.4 written on the sticker); this cart works on NDS Fhat, NDS Lite. Does not work on DSi, DSi XL, 2DS, 3DS, 3DS XL.
    [/list]

If your cart is image no.4, then you'll have to buy a new flash cartridge because it does not support DSi.

How to update/upgrade your flash cartridge varies from 1 producer to the next, however in general the steps would be;
    1. Back Up SD Micro files to your computer
    2. Download the upgrading package from official website (decompress using WINRAR/7Zip if the package is .RAR or .ZIP)
    3. You may choose to Full Format the SD Micro
    4. Place the upgrading files in the SD Micro (the file that ends with .NDS or .DAT)
    5. Full charge your NDS console
    6. Insert SD Micro into the flash cart, and insert into console
    7. Switch on, choose the .NDS file you'd added
    8. Follow on screen instruction
    9. Wait until process ends (NEVER EVER SWITCH OFF THE CONSOLE even if the process takes a long time)
    10. When the screen shows process completed, then switch it off. And you might be asked to reboot (which means switch off, and then on)
    11. Done.

In other cases, it might just need you to download the package, extract/decompress it, place the package content to your SD Micro, boot up the cart on your console, go to SETTINGS/CONFIG screen and press UPGRADE, and allow the process to start. In general, that means you'll still need to;
    1. Back up the SD Micro content
    2. Recharge your console until its full
    3. Download the files needed and add them manually to the SD Micro

To know exactly what you must do, consult the official website or read the "READ ME" or "INSTALLATUON INSTRUCTION" text file that comes with the downloaded package.

13. djl79

djl79 Member

ok sorry if i'm confusing you, it wasn't my intention. MY card is 100% exactly the same as the photo you have send that has a card on the right side and a red box on the left, and yes, it belongs to that website.
    and on the second picture, you have numbers from 1 to 4, so i would say is the number 3, but that picture with number 3, on the sticker doens't have wi-fi written and mine does so i guess it will be the same card right?
    Also when you say if you download the wrong one you can damage,the card or the dsi?

14. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

you can brick the flashcart yes.

15. Prectorian

Yours has the "wifi" written on it but without the "v.1.4" and without "i" on it? Yes, likely no.3 but I'm not sure. It might even be one that no longer in production thus no longer have update for it to run on anything other than NDS Fhat and NDS Lite. What I meant by damaging "it" refers to the R4 cart not the DSi. And the damage is as what had been mentioned by Loonylion.

16. djl79

djl79 Member

Ok thanks I'll try to do it with the 3 and fingers cross that works