1. This forum is in read-only mode.

trying to open minecraft.jar file

Discussion in 'Non-Emulation Help' started by kenny6457, Feb 18, 2011.

1. kenny6457

kenny6457 Well-Known Member

but every time i try to open it it doesnt open
    and also it says its a exacutable jar file
    and im also trying to install some mods

2. Zanoab

Zanoab Member

Rename it as a .zip file or use WinRAR or 7zip to open the .jar as an archive.

3. kenny6457

k
    Post Merge: [time]1297988574[/time]
    going to see if mods and stuff work

4. lewis9191

lewis9191 Well-Known Member

You don't have to rename just simply open with.

5. kenny6457

i havetried that but i just chose with program to open it since javas being a bitch
    oh and also mod works YAY!

6. lewis9191

lewis9191 Well-Known Member

My fucking mc world got deleted from random power switch. So much time GONE.

7. kenny6457

that sucks
    you should have made a backup

8. Inunah

Inunah Well-Known Member

To open a jar file with winrar, right click and click open with. Search for Winrar in that list you're given.

Also, to easily install mods, get Minecrafter. If you install mods manually (which is also permanently), it usually blocks you from survival multiplayer. But with minecrafter, all the mods are temporarily installed, AND AUTOMATICALLY (kind of like the YSmenu autocompiler). By temporary, I mean once you close Minecraft and Minecrafter the mods are no longer installed. You'll need to use minecrafter every time you want to use the worlds the mods are associated with, but other than that it's really efficient and easy.

Minecrafter

9. LuckyTrouble77

LuckyTrouble77 Well-Known Member

I downloaded the .jar when no other version would open anymore on my computer for some reason and it opened like any other executable for me.