1. This forum is in read-only mode.

How likely are you to get caught downloading torrents?

Discussion in 'Computers & Modding' started by stirgo1212, Mar 5, 2010.

1. msg2009

msg2009 Romulations sexiest member

eh? ive just been looking on there

2. gaynorvader

gaynorvader Well-Known Member

Pirate Bay is only "gone" if you live in Ireland and use an eircom connection.

3. stirgo1212

stirgo1212 Well-Known Member

Piratebay wanted to buy a country to put their servers on! Quite cool. Some artificial island called 'sealand' But yes, i dont know many ISP's that ban the pirate bay. Except China but the government owns the whole internet there.

4. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

*facepalm*

If you or your dad have no clue how to use torrents safely, then yes they are dangerous.

You do know what p2p is right-it's the same as limewire, kazza, winmx and ares.

Torrents are safer than all of those generally...though an ip adress blocker is handy :)

[me=hYpNoS]IS getting this[/me]

5. Paddette

Paddette Well-Known Member

"You do know what p2p is right-it's the same as limewire, kazza, winmx and ares."

P2P is not the SAMEAS, P2P sharing is the broad term to describe those programmes. They are all categorized differently.

"Torrents are safer than all of those generally...though an ip adress blocker is handy :)"

Not really. They give you piece of mind, that's all. Who do you think sets the lists of IP's to block? And if someone is 'tracking' you, they won't be on that list.

6. lugia543

lugia543 Guest

I am never going to get caught as long as i live in the philippines. american security tracking only can track people who live in america meaning they can't do anything to anyone outside the country. besides, torrent isn't illegal in the philippines.

7. stirgo1212

Torrenting may not be illegal, but the games/movies/music is. And besides many people outside of america get tracked by the american film makers. Look at China or Australia for example.

8. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

they can track anyone in the world, they just cant legally take action against anyone outside the US. Not that it stops them.

9. stirgo1212

I saw 'Panorama' on BBC last night. It was about illegal music downloads. These guys could just see what you where downloading and even hack into other peoples broadband and use their internet to download their illegal files! Pretty cool. Just shows you how easy it is. They also said thay proxy servers where the only 'fool proof' solution but its still not 100% safe..
    Watched it LL? Your English and being on the net, you should be intrested in the 'net police' no? ;p

10. Loonylion

Panorama is a scaremongering program, it has very little factual accuracy. Only one I watched was the one about wireless networks and I was completely appalled at how blatently incorrect it was.

11. stirgo1212

I supoose so.. But some of the stuff can be quite intresting. Your criticism is a little weak

12. Loonylion

I'm a professional network engineer. I know what I'm talking about when it comes to networks and the panorama episode was so flawed it wasnt even a mockumentary.

13. stirgo1212

Ok i get your point. But they cant just show lies on national broadcasting so there can be some truth behind some episodes.. Did you watch last nights show?

14. Loonylion

They can and do, frequently. Nothing sells better than a scandal. and panarama was trying to stir up paranoia by intentionally portraying things in a bad light and presenting hearsay as facts.

As it happens, they were caught and forced to publish an apology stating that the program was factually inaccurate and grossly misleading. So they published it in a tiny box in the middle of a magazine that virtually no-one reads.

15. stirgo1212

So basicly what you're saying panorama is lies within lies. Jeremy Vine is a bit of a ponce, i agree.

[me=stirgo1212]agrees with loonylion[/me]

16. Paddette

Paddette Well-Known Member

The media lies on a daily basis, both in papers and broadcasting -- BBC and ITV have be caught out with lies before.

17. stirgo1212

ITV stinks, its just one commercial mess

18. nomercy

nomercy Well-Known Member

So anyway, using Peerblock here. Haven't been quarantined in a while.

19. PuffyChain

PuffyChain Well-Known Member

some torrent file download so slow, and some so fast...

20. zainkuken123

zainkuken123 New Member

yeah...some slow and some fast....is it just becouse the peer are a little?...or the seeding?....@.@