1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Proper version to use?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by ricky86, Dec 16, 2014.

1. ricky86

ricky86 Member

Hi all,
    I bought an R4 card from a website awhile back and used the card on a normal DS lite and everything worked fine. got it working with the 1st version of wood i installed but my son lost his ds so ive gotten him and my daughter both a 3ds and went and bought another r4 card but this time i cant get it working. here is a link to the item that i bought
    (ok i cant link the item but ill post the details of it at the end of this post)
    could anyone tell me or link me what to version to use on this card,
    Thank you
    Which console can use R4 3DS RTS card?
    * Nintendo 3DS/3DSLL/3DSXL: 3DS v9.4.0-20 and all below version.
    * Nintendo DSi/DSiLL/DSiXL: DSi V1.4.5, DSi V1.4.4 and all below versions.
    * Nintendo DS Lite console.

The R4i SDHC 3DS RTS card is the enhance version of the r4i sdhc 3ds card. As we know the R4i SDHC 3DS RTS card added the RTS functionality: Real-time save features; Real-time guide features; User-cheat features. Now you can save current game state at any time of the game via R4i SDHC 3DS RTS card.

What’s including in the R4i 3DS RTS box:
    • 1x R4i SDHC 3DS RTS Card
    • 1x USB micro reader/writer

R4i SDHC 3DS RTS card Functionality:
    • Real-time save features:
    Allows user save current game state at any time of the game. Player can immediately continue the game state by reload the save file after the game failed or shut down the console. R4i-SDHC launches unique sharing features where RTS save files can be share between the users.
    • Real-time guide features:
    Real-time guide features allows user to read hints/guide of the games immediately without exit to the game. Real-time guide support 2 types of format (text and picture). User can write guide into any “txt” file or “bmp” file. The size of the “bmp” file should be “256x192”. The “txt” file support English, Simplify Chinese and Japanese language coding. If both “txt” and “bmp” file exist, “bmp” guide file will have a priority.
    • User-cheat features:
    Enhance the features of user cheat. User allow to activate/deactivate/modify user cheat at any point of the game. To do these changes, user need to save the state of the game then return to the MENU to configure the user cheat. After that just need to run the game and reload the RTS save file again.
    Post Merge: [time]1418738474[/time]
    PS.. all it keeps saying is (Can't open_dsmenu.dat)

2. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

Most of your above post seems to be taken from the cart's website. In any case, assuming both 3DS consoles are running firmware above v.4.5.0 or maybe even the latest v.9.4.0, while the R4i SDHC 3DS RTS flash cartridges was purchased blank (not pre-installed by seller), then you'd need an older NDS console or newer ones which meets either of these conditions below to do the flash cartridge firmware/kernel installation steps successfully;
    1. NDS Fhat (the first gen NDS console)
    2. NDS Lite
    3. DSi/DSi XL running firmware below or maximum v.1.4.3
    4. 3DS/3DS XL/2DS running firmware below or maximum v.4.3.0

You can't do the flash cart installation on the 3DS consoles you have if the console is already running firmware above v.4.5.0. thus why the problem faced. And each time the 3DS console has an update for it's firmware, you must remember to always upgrade/update the flash cart's firmware before attempting to update your console's, otherwise what will happen is exactly as current issue; blocked. If you can't find any NDS consoles that meets any of those 4 options, easiest is to take them back to the seller, and ask them to install it for you.

In case you haven't know how to check your 3DS console's firmware version;
    1. Don't insert any flash cart into the cart slot
    2. Switch on console
    3. Go to Options/Settings/Configuration
    4. Look at the bottom screen (the version number is either on the left or right side)

3. ricky86

ricky86 Member

Hi thanks for the reply.
    the version its saying its running is Ver. 9.4.0-21E
    is this the number you were wanting?
    Post Merge: [time]1418741308[/time]
    also.. the seller does not seem to like replying to emails, Ive emailed them countless times and getting no reply. although the msgs were regarding delivery time. was weeks before i got the item. i did however just email them half an hour ago asking for help but i am not holding my breath on a reply

4. Prectorian

Yes, so if the screen says 'v.9.4.0-21E', that means those 3DS consoles are running the very latest firmware version. As I said earlier, it blocks your flash cartridges which hasn't been pre-installed by the seller (which is the condition sold unless buyer request). If you bought them online, then your best choice is to find someone that has an NDS handheld that meets any of the conditions I mentioned in the above.

Borrow the person's handheld, prepare the installation package as per provided by the cart's website, and perform the installation on that borrowed console. Only then will it work on your 3DS. That also I should point out, it will work once installation is done through it, if your flash cart do have an upgrade/update to support v.9.4.0.

5. ricky86

ricky86 Member

Thanks ill try that. is there no other way of setting wood or something up on the pc then starting it up on the 3ds?
    Post Merge: [time]1418742216[/time]
    Or changing the version of firmware on the ds?

6. Prectorian

No, WOOD R4 and YSMENU/TTMENU are third party firmware/kernel that helps to load rom and by-pass anti-piracy protection present in NDS game rom. They are not solution to overcome such blockage issue currently face. Your solution to overcome this block is to update the flash cart on an older handheld as per mentioned. Again even so, if the flash cart maker's official website doesn't have update/upgrade for that cart to run on latest handheld's firmware/kernel, then it's a dead end unless they release one at a later time. It is mandatory to always remember to update/upgrade your cart first before choosing to upgrade your handheld.

7. ricky86

ricky86 Member

i have to admit i am getting a bit confused :p
    i just checked the other 3ds and that version is running 7.1.0-16E but guess still to high.
    thing am abit more confused by is the listing for this R4 card says it will support v9.4.0-20 and all below version but clearly is not or am i still missing something that i dont understand?

8. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

it will only support versions higher than 4.5.0 AFTER an update is applied, not before.

9. Prectorian

I don't think you should be confused. Keep in mind that just because the site says "support v.9.4.0 and below" doesn't mean your cart can be installed on that v.9.4.0 3DS console. Remember that your cart is blank when received. The site merely points out that the cart if installed with that firmware/kernel, will be usable on all console version. On condition it has been installed successfully. At current your cart hasn't been installed successfully, because you tried installing the cart's firmware on a 3DS v.9.4.0 that blocks all cart that hasn't been pre-installed with the latest update for it. Same case with your other 3DS console that runs v.7.1.0. Do re-read my first post, I clearly stated that any 3DS console running firmware above v.4.5.0 blocks flash carts, unless the cart been pre-installed with the latest firmware/kernel that is compatible with whatever the console is running.

10. ricky86

ricky86 Member

i think i get it now..
    correct me if am wrong please, to get the kernal to work i have to load it into a 3ds thats running v.4.3.0 or below? after that i can use it in higher versions such as the 2 3ds's ive listed above?

sorry for having to repeat your self. getting myself stressed out with this thing

11. Prectorian

Right. Find an NDS handheld that meets any of the criteria I'd earlier mentioned, perform the installation of the cart's latest kernel/firmware as per provided by the cart's website on that borrowed handheld/console, and then it will run on both of your 3DS console.

12. ricky86

ricky86 Member

ok thank you.
    another question. i still have to buy a 2nd R4 card for the other 3ds, if i was to buy one with a memory card already preloaded with the kernal you mentioned would i be able to copy the data to another micro sd and then use it that way?

13. Prectorian

I don't think so. The installation will be recorded on the cart's internal chip. The Micro SD is just the medium, you'll still end up needing an older console to do the installation on those 2 already owned carts. Only after those 2 carts been installed with same kernel, then can you cross use the Micro SD containing the same firmware/kernel files on all of your same brand carts.

14. ricky86

ricky86 Member

ok thanks again for all your help and sorry it has taken so long for me to understand :p

15. Prectorian

That's alright. Hopefully you find a way to acquire an older NDS console to do that installation successfully. Else, buy 2 new carts along with Micro SD cards with request to the seller to pre-install it with latest kernel/firmware so that it supports v.9.4.0 or newer 3DS console firmware version, and you can use it upon receiving. Which by doing so, in the event you decide to buy more micro SD cards for use on those 3DS consoles, you can simply copy/duplicate the files from that pre-installed SD Card to the new card, and it will immediately work on those flash cartridges.