1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Twilight Princess

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Fennyariel, May 15, 2015.

1. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

cpu-z, coretemp and speedfan are free applications used for obtaining information about hardware and monitoring temperatures.

2. Fennyariel

Fennyariel Well-Known Member

I downloaded CPU-Z and it's got a whole bunch of different tabs! Which one do you want a screenshot of? The same thing for Speedfan too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Loonylion

just the first tab.

first thing I notice is fan1 is running stupidly slowly, and the gpu fan isn't running at all (although could be a false reading).

4. Fennyariel

Fennyariel Well-Known Member

Here's the first tab of CPU-Z.

[​IMG]

5. Blazemax

Blazemax Well-Known Member

*whistle
    that is a nice computer setup you have, some of those parts do need a big psu to prevent overloading. Do you know what your psu stats are(or what model it is)?

No it limited to MAX of 3 cpu cores(least what they say), as for ram, maxing out isnt that hard, but the problem is isolating WHAT is raising your ram. i can overload my 1GB of ram just downloading images.

6. Loonylion

maxing out 32GB of RAM is extremely difficult under normal circumstances. Dolphin has a memory leak, that's how it happened. I saw it happen on a number of occasions while I was producing gameplay videos for the site. Restarting dolphin resolved it. It wouldn't happen with a 32bit OS because processes are limited to 2 (or 3) GB each.

multicore aware simply means it can use more than one core. Whether or not the number of cores it can use is limited depends on how its written and the decisions made by the program architect.

There's nothing particularly concerning about the screenshots, but they were taken when the machine was more or less idle. The low Fan1 reading means I'd check that all the fans are spinning properly and not struggling or scraping anything, and the lack of a gpu fan signal means I'd make sure that fan is operating if it has one. 48c is a little on the high side for an idle gpu.

7. Blazemax

32bit OS uses max of 3.5GB ram. I read this part alot everywhere so i quite impossible to forget it

From dolphins faq page
    as for the ram part, i gave up trying to figure out why it does what it does. I experimented once trying replicated the results of doing the same task over and over only to yield different results. And even worse, i have 2 computers, same os same programs, only difference is one has 2GB of ram and the other 4GB(well the 4gb has a better gpu) you think when you start both up, they would yield nearly the same, but no. the 2gb starts at 536MB and the 4gb starts at 1.04GB usage. all 3 of my computers start up with 1/4 of their ram already in use. If you can explain that to me, i would love to know cause it confounds me to no end.

8. Loonylion

Not necessarily. Most versions of Windows can only address 4GB of RAM in their 32bit variant (various overheads mean it actually ends up as 3.5GB) as that is the limitation of the 32bit address space. However, there is a technology that's been around since the Pentium Pro (before the Pentium II) that increases the 32bit address space to 48 bit. Microsoft simply chose not to implement it in any of their OSes (with the exception of Windows 2003 enterprise server, and Windows XP pre SP1). This technology is known as PAE (Physical Address Extensions) and allows 32bit OSes to support more than 4GB of RAM (Up to about 64GB IIRC).

However, there is a different limit in place also, the process memory limit. This restricts how much RAM a single program is allowed to use, and on 32bit OSes, it's 2GB. (can be raised to 3GB in Windows with a special switch in boot.ini). This is why Dolphin (or any other program) would not be able to run away with all your ram on 32bit Windows, even if the OS was PAE capable and enabled. The process limit is still present in 64bit OSes, but it's much much higher.

it's probably prefetching or some other form of caching.

9. Blazemax

i meant 32OS run at 3.5GB on a basic scale. With modding you alter almost anything do anything, literally wasnt the point. also dolphin doesnt support 32 anymore cause of the limitations.

Ok ok ok enough, this is getting to be pointless bickering about nothing that helps, and whole point is to help op with their problem....which have you figured out what might be the issue yet?

10. Loonylion

I'm still pretty sure it's some form of hardware overloading. The idle temps look OK (although GPU is slightly high) but that doesn't necessarily rule out overheating, and I need details of the PSU to be able to judge that possibility.

11. davidscritchfield

davidscritchfield New Member

My best guess would actually be an overload on your RAM for some reason or another. Due to the error happening at the same place multiple times the only other thing I can think of is a corrupt ISO. Both issues could cause that so the first place I would start would be checking the emulation settings and then trying a different build of the emulator. If this doesn't solve the problem try a different ISO. One of these is bound to fix the problem.

12. Loonylion

our ISO is absolutely fine, I've played it myself. Neither an emulator nor an ISO problem would cause the computer to shut off.