1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Mini-Rants Thread

Discussion in 'Rants' started by trimbletown, Aug 18, 2010.

1. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

A loaf of bread for me would be about $4.

2. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

Yikes, that's 103.28 Philippine Pesos :eek:

But I couldn't help it if $5USD is considered expensive here especially if your daily earnings is even below one dollar. Yup, there are those whose daily income is less than a dollar, especially the ones living in the Urban depressed Areas.

3. msg2009

msg2009 Romulations sexiest member

Minimum wage is £6.31 an hour so a loaf of bread is just a few minutes work.

4. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

assuming you get minimum wage reliably, which people on zero hour contracts don't.

5. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Exactly, there are people here who work per day not per hour.

And there are those who even work under no contracts & are what you'd call self employed, like Street food vendors. They own a small (dare I say tiny) business but because of the high cost of living & or Food ingredients, they still don't earn enough.

We also don't have any disability incentives here, like what you have in the UK which is why I am a bit envious of loony. Here not only are you discriminated for having a disability especially when it comes to finding a job, but you are also often left out of everything. Not unless you have money, power or know many people who do.

And don't even get me started about my countrymen's obsession with vanity & looking "White". Yes you read that right, people here are too damn obsessed about looking more white & using skin whiteners even though it is a known fact that having darker complexion means more melanin which protects you against the harmful rays of the sun :p

Call it Colonial mentality if you will, but people here have a very twisted sense of what is beautiful and acceptable, if you fall under any of those twisted ideals of what is acceptable then you're out of luck.

Having Good education doesn't even quite cut it. Let's say you Graduated with honors from Uni, all that becomes meaningless if you have a disability or what they falsely see as "ugly".

6. Loonylion

discrimination against disabled people when looking for a job is rampant here too. It's illegal but the law has been carefully drafted by politicians in the pockets of big business so as to be virtually unenforceable. The burden of proof is on the claimant and in 99% of cases it simply isn't possible to prove discrimination has taken place, no matter how blatant it was.

The problem with zero hour contracts is not the rate of pay, its the fact that there's no guaranteed hours. The benefits office considers you to be employed so there's very little help available to you, and the nature of the contract means you can go for days or even weeks without any work, and consequently without any pay. Your hours are entirely subject to the whims of your employer.

7. Niflheim

Niflheim Horrible evil rat

Is it? I know this is just anecdotal, but from my experience employers were more than happy to hear that I'd be filling one of their quotas. Mind you, I wouldn't exactly be a burden with my disability, so it's not like they'd have any reason not to hire me.

8. Loonylion

To a large extent it depends on how disabled you are and the individual companies you're approaching, but by and large, yes discrimination is a major problem. I'm not sure how enforced the quota system is these days, but I've been told by numerous job centre/remploy caseworkers that discrimination is widespread, it just can't be proven in court except in a very small minority of cases. Basically so long as they don't explicitly say 'we're not employing you because you're disabled', any discrimination case would not be proven.

9. Devon

Devon Well-Known Member

My cousins boyfriend - who is mentally challenged after a car crash somewhat - has a part time job where he works 2 days a week and will earn 160K a year. He gets flown to Auckland and back on their pocket, they also pay for the accommodation and taxi there and about.

10. msg2009

160k what? pennies?

11. Devon

Devon Well-Known Member

What do you think? Does anyone actually say 160K pennies?

12. msg2009

He must have some special skills that can't be found easily if they are willing to pay that.

13. damanali

damanali Well-Known Member

Must be a gigolo. His benefactor must be a rich old woman, or a rich gay man.

He could also be Stephen Hawking in an alternate universe. But I'm leaning on him being a gigolo.

14. Devon

Devon Well-Known Member

You seem to know a lot about the subject.

15. Niflheim

Liberals are the worst nerds, I swear.

16. Jhon 591

Jhon 591 Well-Known Member

Time to quick, Time to slow, Have to be spot on time why... , Are is it just me ???

Rant 2 myself.

17. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Ugh~!

I just finished Scribblenauts Unlimited then I accidentally killed Edgar with his cane. I reset the level & boom! He no longer respawns. I tried resetting my Save but Steam Cloud saved my save AFTER I killed Edgar, so now the game is messed up & I have to start all over again. Damn game not utilizing the typical save slot feature most games have :p And damn that Cloud Saving feature as well :p

18. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

Just a pity party. Uh, anxiety issues making me want to drop all my classes. Woo. :-*

Can't wait to see where this goes. :-*

19. Niflheim

aren't you a litttle too old for classes?

20. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

Never too old for uni.

+ I'm not old, only 26. ie I'm one of the weird peeps who go into a program being older than everyone else.