1. This forum is in read-only mode.

DeSmuME 0.9.6 x86 and Pokemon Soul Silver

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Hologramm, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Hologramm

Hologramm Member

Yea, yea another Pokemon topic :p
    I've been pretty much all over this forum for last few days trying to get some insight on current Pokemon updates as last time i played any game was a while back maybe a year or two.

I stumbled on Rudolph's topic and downloaded pre-patched version of SS/HG. I'm using new DeSmuME 0.9.6 as it's simple and easy to use. From what i can tell (correct me if i'm wrong) patched SS/HG shouldn't gave any more problems, crashes or freeze?

My problem is this:

[​IMG]

After graphic scrambles like this games goes black screen after i exit current location. Starts to happening as i get 2nd badge. From what i can tell patched solved that part? So am i missing anything?

I tried all kind of DeSmuME settings and nothing. My PC is tip top up to date drivers (XP SP2 AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual 4400+,GeForce 8500 GT 2GB RAM). Games run normal, no lag or anything only problem is random black screen every few minutes.

Thanks in advance for any insight :)

2. sylar1000

sylar1000 Well-Known Member

It looks perfectly fine to me :)

3. Hologramm

Hologramm Member

Ok maybe this is better example: :)

[​IMG]

4. meganova

meganova Well-Known Member

Either that related to the patch, or the emulator, but works fine on mine.

Set your 3D Settings to Softrasterizer,
    and if that problem happen after you use savestates, try load the game from in-game saves.

If none working,
    Post your save file here.

5. garg_priyansh

garg_priyansh Well-Known Member

I better tell you to start using desmume svn builds, as they are faster, smoother, download the latest svn builds from emucr.com

6. meganova

I suggest not to use the SVN builds, as they are likely to produce several issues than the official releases.

7. Hologramm

Hologramm Member

Got my version of the game from here:

http://forum.romulation.net/index.php?topic=34997.0

HG (E)
    SS (U)
    Versions

I've experimented with 3D settings including Softrasterizer but other then smoother graphic no impact.
    In-game saves don't work for me, i can save in game, it shows its saved after 20-30 sec but when i start emulator it just goes directly to new game it doesn't show Continue or anything.

So I'm using DeSmuME save options. Here are 2 saves 1st is save of a glitch 2nd is a minute before glitch happened.

http://www.2shared.com/file/aHiyD0eh/Glich.html
    http://www.2shared.com/file/2vQF5Sgo/2_online.html

8. meganova

The first save shows the same problem like what in your previous pictures, moving to next area, or accessing menu sometimes will lead to a black screen,
    However, your second save runs like normal, and I've tested it for about 15 - 20 mins, without graphic issues.

9. Hologramm

Hologramm Member

Well, just my luck. Problem that nobody else have/had :p

Back to game boy for me. Eh good old Fire Red/Yellow/Sapphire. :-\

Thanks meganova for you're help.

10. meganova

Well, does your problem solved then? I'm sure using the in-game saves will fix the problem.

11. Hologramm

Hologramm Member

In-game save don't work. I save but it doesn't show when i reset emulator. I goes to new game directly no saved game to continue.

12. meganova

Have you manually configured your save path? Config -> Path settings, make a folder for it, e.g SaveRam.
    Though it was created automatically, but better making one if nothing happens after you used the in-game save.

13. Hologramm

Hologramm Member

Well i'm confused now.
    I made few try's earlier with new paths to save game to and it didn't work. And i tried one last time now and bang its there (made SaveRam folder) :eek:

I'll try using only in-game save from now on to see what happens, but i don't get it why/how would DeSmuME Save State As option get corrupted.

14. meganova

If you haven't configured the path for any of your directories, the SaveStates path should be in the root of your DeSmuMe folder,
    See whether there are any files that start with SS and then end with .ds1 , .ds2, e.g Pokemon Soul Silver.ds1.
    If there is, move it into a new folder and configure your States path to that folder, and load the game again, the states should be working if you configure it right.

15. OLK

OLK Well-Known Member

Use No$GBA instead. Encrypt the Soul Silver ROM and play from the GBA BIOS start up, and you will get no freezes whatsoever. Been playing for days with no freezes

Heart Gold still freezes up though. I wonder why only Soul Silver is fixed with the BIOS but Heart Gold isn't. Oh well

16. Hologramm

Hologramm Member

In game save works great now but looks like problem is still there. I give up.
    It just looks like my PC hates Pokemon Soul Silver :-\

I will download and try No$GBA as soon as i get a chance, but my moral is as low as it gets. Only a miracle will help now, lol.

17. Jhon 591

Jhon 591 Well-Known Member

Keepup with the latest builds

http://www.emucr.com/2011/01/desmume-svn-r3908.html

18. M.AzaryPika3172

M.AzaryPika3172 Well-Known Member

Use Ideas emulator for another chance!

19. TRgthe2nd

TRgthe2nd New Member

I'm using a completely different emulator with the same exact problem.
    I have the DraStic DS Emulator v2.12.b for Android running HeartGold with the same issue. I'm trying to buy TMs from the GoldenRod city Department store but the emulator crashes when I leave the room (istead of black screen/same thing). Has this issue been resolved?

20. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

This topic is for DeSmuMe an emulator for PC. Yours is emulator for Android. You ought to make your own topic instead of necro-ing unrelated dead topic. In any case, we don't know how far ahead the Drastic emulator for Android been developed. You could try using patched HG rom since most Pokémon games has anti-piracy protection and the emulator in use might not have the needed offsets to overcome the protective measure. Use DS-Scene Rom Tool to perform the patching of your clean/unpatched HG rom (though still keep original files for back up). Even then, I'm not sure if it will help when it come to using Drastic.