1. This forum is in read-only mode.

[TUTORIAL] A guide to download ROMs and ISOs from RomUlation

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by necr0, Sep 14, 2012.

1. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

A guide to download ROMs and ISOs from RomUlation
    By: Xenirina

Inspired by a question on RomUlation's Facebook Page, I decided to make a quick and easy-to-follow guide of how to download and extract ROMs and ISOs for easy use.
    I will also show you how to download from TurtleShare for those users wanting Playstation 2 ISOs.

Step 1a: Download a ROM or ISO from RomUlation

Note: I'm a premium member and so this will look a little different to non-premium members. But not much.

On the main page, click on the tab 'DOWNLOADS' and then choose the system you wish to download for.
    We also offer SNES, which can be found here.

[​IMG]

For this tutorial, I'm going to be using Nintendo DS ROMs.

Once your system has been chosen, you will come to a page similar to below.
    Choose the ISO or ROM you want and click on the name. Clicking somewhere else will not do anything.

There is also a search function if you want a certain game (which I will show you how to use later).

[​IMG]

Once chosen, you will come to a game info page.
    This page will display details on the region, file name, file size, points required to download and other stuff. There also screenshots which you can view (will not be there for every game as they are uploaded by users).

To download, click on the yellow 'Download' button. There will be ads, but they are cut of in this tutorial.

[​IMG]

Now just click 'Download From North American Server'. Easy eh?
    The download speed is as follows: 100kb/s for guests/ 250kb/s for members, unlimited for Premium Members.

[​IMG]

Finished! Just wait for the download to complete, and then go to step 2 of the tutorial.

Step 1b: Download Playstation 2 ISOs from TurtleShare

Follow the entire guide above until you hit the downloading bit.
    For files under 500MB, just hit the 'Download Single File TurtleShare.com' button. It'll take you to the download page where you can download the file easily.

For files over 500MB, it is trickier. You will need to download multiple files. So just download them all and put them into a folder somewhere.

[​IMG]

You will be redirected to TurtleShare.
    Just click the 'Slow Download' button.

Download speeds are reasonable, but I cannot really say how fast it is, as it is different for everyone.

[​IMG]

Wait for the download(s) to finish. Extracting and combining files will next.

Step 2a: Extracting ROMs/ISOs

Once you've downloaded, extracting is easy.
    Download an extracting program, I suggest WinRAR, but there are a lot of other ones. You can get WinRAR here.

Install your preferred software (I'm going to use WinRAR). Once that is done, right click the .rar or .7z file you downloaded and click 'Extract Here'. WinRAR (or whatever program you are using) will run and extract the file.

[​IMG]

That was easy!

Step 2b: Merging part files and then extracting

If your download PS2 ISOs bigger than 500MB, you would have noticed they come in two or more parts.
    This is how you merge them.

Download HJSplit. You can get it from here. Choose your OS on the left side.
    It is a simple extraction, no need to install. Boot up the program.

[​IMG]

Click on 'Join'.
    You'll be faced with a menu similar to below. Just select the .001 file in the first box. Then select where you want to output the file.
    Make sure all the part files are in the same folder. If they aren't, the merging process will get tricky.

[​IMG]

Click start and wait. Once it is done, go to the output location.
    Now you will be faced with a .7z file. Simply extract it the same way you would extract a RAR file. See 'Step 2a'.

Well, done.
    You now have a .iso file or a .### file. You can play these with an emulator or with a modded console. If you want help with getting these to work, feel free to post in our Technical Help or Flashcart Help boards.

Happy days!

2. Jhon 591

Jhon 591 Well-Known Member

Nice guild for the nobs ^ ;) :p

3. FulgoreSama

FulgoreSama Well-Known Member

Although it will be added eventually, about merging the split archives that are made by HJSplit, this is how I figured it out. Hope this contributes to the guide in a positive way.

4. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm aware of how to join them.
    I just need to download two part files from RomU.

5. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

Update

- Added 'Step 2b: Merging part files and then extracting'

6. wakkey2

wakkey2 New Member

Hi, this might be an old thread and i might be beating on a dead horse here but i'll try to ask. What are points? How do you obtain more points for download? Thanks. Still very green to this.

7. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

[quote author=https://www.romulation.org/introduction/#points]
    Downloading on RomUlation is pretty straight forward, but to make sure it goes as painless as possible you need to know a few things about how our system works. It's not difficult so just give it a read.

RomUlation uses a point system to prevent download abuse. We host a large number of files, and without the point sytem in place, a small number of greedy users would saturate the connection and create a poor experience for everyone else.

When you sign up at RomUlation, 500 points are credited to your account to get you started. Every megabyte you download requires 1 point. For example, an 80MB file will cost 80 points. If you run out of points, there are a variety of ways to earn more.:
    » Regular members receive 100 points credited to their account every 24 hours.
    » Become a premium member! Premium members do not require points to download at all! See the benefits available to you as a premium member here.
    » Upload Screenshots! Each screenshot that you upload and get approved earns you 30 points. See the screenshots section for more information.

Points are removed from your account as soon as you begin your download. The point cost for that file will then be set to zero for you for 24 hours, enabling you to redownload the file in case of a broken download or interrupted transfer. You can, however, always resume a download at no point cost.
    [/quote]

Got any further relevant questions, feel free to ask.

8. temps

temps Member

Hi, I've just discovered jdownloader. How can I set up a batch of downloads using jdownloader? I have no problem downloading individual files. Thanks

9. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

jdownloader does not support RomUlation, it only works with sites it has a plugin for.

10. temps

temps Member

Ah, ok thanks. Never mind. Is there anything I can use to manage the downloads?

11. Loonylion

IDM is known to work.

12. temps

temps Member

Yes, it's working well for me. Thank you for the advice.

13. andrew11214

andrew11214 Member

this tutorial is excellent ! thanks very much !

14. dcv1979

dcv1979 New Member

thanks for tuts ;)

15. plaingal

plaingal Member

Am I doing it wrong? I don't have to "extract" once game downloads I click open, WinRAR opens in new window. All I have to do then is left click while holding down and drag it to my games folder. Some games will work but others willnot. So this is why I think I am doing something wrong?

16. Loonylion

no you're just using winrar a different way, the outcome is the same.

17. plaingal

plaingal Member

That's good. Thanks. :)

18. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

Just make sure you have WINRAR v.5.0 or newer, else it might return an error message. Making you think the archive was broken. But if this isn't the case, it'd be something to do with your flash cart's firmware. You could also try patching the rom using DS-SCENE ROM TOOL (you can find the link and tutorial under the topic of patching rom in this tutorial section, also written by Necr0). Not all rom require patching, so there may be several that you think might need patching but isn't available from the tool. The program is also obsolete by now, naturally that means newer rom that does require patching after the last update to the program, certainly won't be supported.

19. lkenny

lkenny New Member

Hi all, I am quite new to this and have been wanting to play skyward sword. I found one on here but there is 4 parts, two says to install an internet downloader and the others require you to take some online surveys for a password to "Access" them. Is this normal? I didn't think you would have to download any third part apps or take surveys to access the roms. Idk if I am posting in the right area since this is my first time so I am sorry if it is wrong. Thank you for any advice and help. much appreciated.

20. Loonylion

you are not getting them from RomU then. Our files are not split into parts and do not require downloaders or surveys or passwords or anything like that.