1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Suikoden II - The "Broken Gate" trick - my own little cheat for Suiko II!

Discussion in 'Game Help' started by OrlandoDude, Jan 20, 2015.

?

What is your fav Suikoden game so far (2015)?

1. Suikoden I (PS1)

100.0%
  2. Suikoden II (PS1)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Suikoden III (PS2)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Suikoden V (PS1)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Suikoden Treirekis (PSP) or Suikoden Tactics (PS2)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. OrlandoDude

OrlandoDude New Member

Hi everyone.

I know Suikoden II (PS1) is a classic and an RPG gamer's must have. I found out about this trick years ago and posted it online to another forum before, but that classic game site went down and the post went down.

So here is my Broken Gate trick to all to enjoy!! ;D

Warning: contains a few spoilers! I try to warn for any spoilers beforehand. But overall, I ONLY suggest using this cheat guide IF you have Played Suikoden II all the way before. I have played this game 15 times over the last 13 years and never get tired of it. :)

===============================================================================
    Suikoden II
    FAQ/Broken Gate Trick
    Playstation 1
    By: OrlandoDude
    Version: 1.2
    Last Updated: April 3, 2008

The purpose of this FAQs/Trick/Guide is to teach gamers and fans of this incredible RPG how to advance the game and characters much earlier on the game. Through this trick, you can enter the Matilda Domain much earlier on the game, allowing you to become a lot more powerful early on the game and allowing you to recruit key characters earlier on as well. This trick does not require a Game Genie or a Code Breaker or any such cheat. This guide was written for those of us who are just curious to see this trick many have missed and to those who want to enhance their gaming experience.

The “Broken Gate” Trick

Q. What is this trick:

A. This trick is simple and consists of entering the Matilda Knightdom way earlier than you are supposed to. All legit, no Game Genies or Code Breakers. This is something the game programmers either left here on purpose or missed on on. To our benefit, I might add. This is often overlooked in 99% of the walkthroughs I have seen out there, which blows. It is a great trick.

Q. When can you do this trick and enter Matilda earlier than you are supposed to?
    A. There are basically 3 primary occasions in the game when you can do this trick:

1. During the Pilika Amulet quest.
    2. After Viktor and Flik rescue you and before returning to the fort. This is actually one of the easier times to enter Matilda as Viktor and Flik are pretty strong (if you loaded Suikoden I data, they should be between levels 32 and 38).
    3. After you are allowed to enter Muse and are asked by Jess to check out Highland provisions with Jowy.

Q. Advantages of doing this trick:
    A. Clearly, entering an area with strong enemies is very risky at first, but it can be extremely rewarding to those who do it right. The advantages primarily are:

1. You get to recruit two very powerful characters very early on the game. This can be highly beneficial, specially on major battles, as one of these characters is very powerful in Major battles.
    2. You get a teleporting character way earlier than you normally could, thus saving you time!! This is a major bonus.
    3. You “bring to your castle shops” a series of powerful armor, runes, and items, including the extremely useful Fire Emblems. Even if you don’t have your castle yet, the items you see in the shops up in Matilda will show up when you castle shops open up. Not only that, you can also buy many powerful equipments whan you enter Matilda earlier with the funds you get from world map monster battles.
    4. You can earn massive cash by doing this quest earlier and level up considerably, thus making game play easier. Usual levels after completing this quest are between 32 and 40. Your Potch will also increase considerably.

Disadvantages of doing this trick quest earlier:
    1. The game loses a bit of its sequence, but not much.
    2. It makes things considerably easier, thus taking away a bit of the game challenge.
    3. You will get powerful character earlier on, thus allowing you to slaughter enemy monsters with way too much ease. This can be a plus as well. ^_^
    4. The teleporting character you recruit early on with this trick will cut down on world map walking time by ½ (this character will teleport you places and that will save the walking time).
    5. This guide contains spoilers, be warned!!!

First you must decide when you would like to enter Matilda earlier on the game. I usually pick when Viktor and Flick rescue Jowy and the Hero from Highland or when I am doing the Pilika Wooden Amulet Quest with Jowy.

Just as an example, I will use the time when you are asked by Pilika to buy the Wooden Amulet in.
    Go to Muse but do not enter the Item shop. Upgrade your equips, runes (I suggest checking the rune shop under “rare finds” for some Water runes – equip at least one on Jowy or Nanami), etc. if you would like, but most importantly SAVE YOUR GAME and then head NW towards the Muse-Matilda border. Saving your game is key here. There is a 50% chance you can die on the way to Highway Village, so having the game saved nearby is crucial.

When you get to the border, the guards will tell you the board is shut down. Push the iron gate and it will be pushed forward, just like you pushed the boxes back in Viktor's fort! Walk around the gate and you are in Matilda!! ^_^ How cool is that?!? ^_^

But here is where it gets tricky: You need to follow the road NW towards the Highway Village. If you get into a random battle, try to flee/run, or you will be wiped out. You should not have to face more than 1 battle the whole time you are walking from the checkpoint to Highway Village. I sometimes make the track without being attacked even once. Just follow the road straight into town.

Once there, you can go to the inn and do the Humphrey/Futch side quest, which is described in most walkthroughs (I will enclose my version here). Just talk to Humphrey (the big guy facing the wall near the stairway in the inn) then stay the night twice and then you will go into the Kent rescue side quest and Humphrey and Futch will join temporarily. They are at level 34, which is awesome at this point of the game. Their weapons should be around level 10 – 12 each. Again, this depends on how strong they were in your Suikoden I game and whether or not you loaded Suiko I game data.

If you don’t have at least Jowy or Nanami equipped with a water rune (Rare Finds at the Muse Rune shop), go back and get one. They should be almost free now that you have a fortune in Potch after fighting all these enemies in Matilda. Make sure you don’t skip this step, it is important.

So for the Humphrey-Futch side quest (MAJOR SPOILERS HERE):

Head to the inn and you'll see Futch running out the inn and after that head up and you will see the inn owner talking to Humphrey. She will then head to the counter. The scene will shift outside. You will see Futch and a local boy, Kent, talking about Dragons and Dragon Knights. Futch will then show a dragon scale to Kent as a proof that he is one of the Dragon Knights and they will chat some more about it. After that scene, you and Humphrey will continue you're conversation.

[1]"So, uh... where are you from?"
    [2]"Weather sure is nice today, huh?"
    [3]". . . . . . . . . . ."

Choose the first or second answer and Humphrey says "Uh hum ..........." and another option pops out.

[1]"Where are you going?"
    [2]"My, what a big sword!"
    [3]". . . . . . . . . . . "

Choose the first answer and he'll say "Harmonia" and again another option pops out.

[1]"Why Harmonia?"
    [2]"Think it'll be nice tomorrow?"
    [3]". . . . . . . . . . ."

Choose the first answer and he'll say that his looking for dragons then the inn owner will come in and Humphrey approach her and leave. Humphrey apparently enjoyed chatting so much he has paid for a night at the inn! Nice! Go out of the inn the next morning and you will see Kent and a guy talking about how the locals have been hearing weird “dragon noises” from Rakutei Mountain north of the village. Kent gets all excited, wanting to help Futch get a new dragon, the crazy kid heads to Mt. Rakutei on his own! Go back to the inn and talk to Humphrey and Humphrey will say "Did he go somewhere...!?"

[1]"I'm a little worried..."
    [2]"Yeah... let's go."

Choose the second answer and Futch comes in and talks about how he is wondering where Kent is and heads to bed. Talk to the inn owner and you will sleep again. The next morning head down to the inn lobby and you'll see Humphrey and Futch and some villagers gathered around, talking about Kent having gone missing. After Futch talks about the Kent’s disappearance, then the guy who talked to Kent tries to escape.

[1]"Um... that kid..."
    [2]". . . . . . . ."

Choose the first then you'll talk to him with Humphrey and Futch and after talking to him, Humphrey says that we must save Kent.

[1]"To return the favor, I'll come."
    [2]". . . . . . . . . "

Choose the first and the two will join your party and then head to Mt. Rakutei, north of the village. The quest is on. Now before we can complete it, we have some things to do.

Now is the time to save (again) and try your luck. Put the weakest characters in the 2nd row of the party and head out to the world map to try your luck and live through a battle. Humphrey and Futch will be able to hold out on their own and will do most of the fighting at first. All your weak characters have to do is Defend and pray. Some may die in the process and that is fine, as long as a couple other weak characters live and get massive level increases after the battle. You should easily load up on Potch and get your characters leveled up to at least level 32 - 35. You can go to Rockaxe to buy advanced equips, armors, and Runes, but they are expensive. You will need to level up your crew quite a bit and slaughter quite a few monsters before you can afford some of these toys.

I usually opt for Fire Emblems at Highway Village at first, as they raise Strength by 15 and help resist fire spell attacks. They are cheap at around 3,500 Potch each. You may also find a Thunder Amulet as a “Rare Find”, which is awesome as well. I take this opportunity to “invest” in Fire Emblems, as they raise defense and add 15 points to your strength/attack, which is awesome. This will really help. No, you do not have to buy hundreds of Fire Emblems and take them with you back to Viktor’s fort, as once you have your castle and shops set up, Alex will sell Fire Emblems. But on the other hand, you should buy all the Thunder Amulets under the Rare Find you can find for now.

I suggest you go back to Highway Village and rest/save often. After all, you never know when you will face a large group of foes that can tear you up. After several battles, you should be able to level up your characters to around levels 33-38. Once ready, re-stock your supplies, make whatever armor upgrades you wish at the Highway Village and Rockaxe and get some more goodies and head out!

I suggest beefing up your characters with Runes and new armor (go back to Muse, if you want to get some runes to help out), but make sure to buy some new armor and the Fire Emblems. The battles at Mt. Rakutei will be rough!

ON TO MT. RAKUTEI

Enemies: ASSASSIN, SPIKER, HAWK MAN, PIXIE

Items: FUR CAPE, THUNDER RUNNER, STONE OF POWER, UNICORN PLAN #2, MEDICINE RUNE, DRAGON PLAN #2, 2,000 POTCH, SKILL RING, THUNDER AMULET

Enemies drop: About 4,000 – 17,200 Potch in every battle

Once in Mt. Rakutei you can't go forward because of the magic barrier of the mist then Hero uses his Bright Shield rune to clear the mist. Yes, I know, you don’t have that Rune, yet! That would happen later on, so…come on now!! You are getting way head of others who play this game, so minor bump in the storyline.

The mountain is treacherous. Walk all over the place and make sure you collect all the items above. You may choose to leave and return to Highway Village or Rockaxe and sell some of this junk and/or use the newly acquired funds for some upgrades, that is fine as well. Might actually be a smart move, depending on your situation.

Head all the way up and finally, you will see Kent lying on the ground then an enemy boss Harpy appears and do battle with him.

ENEMY BOSS: HARPY

ENEMY DROPS: 40,000 POTCH

This boss has high HP points (life points) and it attacks twice in each turn and has four kinds of attacks, namely:

1. Tornado attack (magic spell that is similar to “The Shredding” wind attack)
    2. Bird's claw attack (physical ATK against one enemy), Bird's claw grab (physical ATK – this one can make you unbalanced)
    3. Wind slash attack (this attack will have a great damage on your party, you better use some great healing spell (HOPEFULLY you purchased on under “rare finds” at the Muse Rune shop, as I suggested it earlier in this guide) to heal your party. Otherisde, you will face an uphill, long battle here.

The strategy is pretty straight forward, although this battle will be very long. I use either Jowy or Nanami as a dedicated healer. He/she is the person with the Water run I plead you to get in Muse. I initially start by casting Protect Mist to help deflect some of the Harpy’s magical attacks. Humphrey and Futch should attack like there is no tomorrow, since they have no runes and you cannot give them any until they join. Have the two hack the Harpy and after a good 20 mins, she will go down.

After you've whacked the Harpy, Kent wakes up and tell that he heard a dragon’s cry at night and it's above over there.

[1]"How did you get here?"
    [2]"Let's hurry back."

Choose the first answer and then he'll talk about how Futch’s dragon scale cleared the mist and protected him on the way up the mountain, past the legion of enemies and monsters. Ftch says it is time to go home but Kent insists he heard dragon cries before he twisted his ankle and got hurt. Kent then runs up the mountain. Follow Kent and you will enter a cave. Everyone will then see a large, white dragon egg. Futch doubts that is a dragon egg as Dragons only live in dragon caves, but Humphrey remembers Sir Joshua of the Knights of the Dragon Den back in Toran (formerly known as the Scarlet Moon Empire, to those who missed Suikoden I) told Humphrey that once in a while a “wild dragon” appears and will lay eggs in caves outside dragon caves.

Futch then drops a bombshell on everyone and say he does not want to ride on a another dragon that is no Black, his now deceased dragon. Then quiet Humphrey draws out his sword and decides to destroy the egg. Then the Hero must respond:

[1]"What!? WHY?"
    [2]"Maybe that's best..."

Choose the first answer then Kent tries to get Humphrey to stop. Humphrey explains that without a Dragon Knight, the baby dragon will either just die and if it does survive, without training of a Dragon Knight, it will just terrorize the villagers nearby. Kent tells Futch to stop him and then Futch hesitates and then asks Humphrey to wait… just then the egg hatches and you'll see a white
    Dragon. Futch immediately walks up and begins taking care of the white dragon and names it “Bright”. After Futch agrees to keep the dragon, you'll be at the entrance of Mt. Rakutei and Humphrey asks if you ever need any assistance, to simply ask.

[1]"Will you fight with us?"
    [2]". . . . . . . . "

Choose the first answer and they will pledge to you to go with you then at the Highway village they say farewell to Kent and Lucy and then joins your group and then head to the Muse-Matilda border and push the game again, as you did before. You can go back to Viktor’s fort, no issues here, no glitches. You now have the use of two tanks and Humphrey plays a major role in major battles. He is extremely useful with his “heavy Armor” ability in Major battles, which allows chatacters to take 3 hits before they die, rather than the usual 2!! Nice, huh?

I hope you have all enjoyed this journey. You now have powerful characters and can enjoy this game even more!!

Acknowledgements

Thanks to Jesus Christ who enabled me with a bit of free time to write this! And He gave me many other awesome things too!

Thanks to the reader (you)!

Thanks to Konami for this incredibly cool game. Suikdeon II is the best Suikoden ever, even though Suikoden III is very good too.

Thanks for Code Breakers, that allow people to get cheat codes so they can better write these guides (although I did not use a cheat here).

Thanks to my wife, who let me play when I have time! lol

Take care!

OrlandoDude (Romulation)

Copyright info

Copyright 2008 “Orlando Dude”

Post Merge: [time]1421745177[/time]
    Another one of my guides for Suiko II that was taken down from my old Classic game website.

This 2nd guide deals with an un-fixed game glitch that occurs in Tinto. It DOES contain spoilers, so do NOT use unless you have just arrived in Tinto OR you have played Suikoden II before.

Hope it helps! :)

Suikoden II
    FAQ/Glitch Issue
    Playstation 1
    By: OrlandoDude (from Romulation forums)
    Version: 1.4
    Last Updated: April 3, 2008

The purpose of this FAQs/Guide is to assist those who are stuck in Gustav’s house in Tinto due to a game glitch. This glitch is annoying and can ruin your Suikoden II gaming experience. That is a real bummer, specially since Suikoden II is probably the greatest RPG in history. So thus come this guide to help us avoid this glitch and to help others trigger it out of mere curiosity.

FAQs

Q. What is the Tinto Glitch?

A. There is a common glitch in Tinto where the Hero and Nanami get stuck inside Mayor Gustav’s house in Tinto City.

Q. How does this glitch happen?
    A. I have run several test scenarios into the reason for the glitch. While there may be other reasons that trigger that glitch, the main reason seems to be the Hero going into any shops when Jess is sending out his soldiers out. This seems to be the key that triggers the glitch.

Q. Can you save the game before activating the glitch?
    A. Sure. You can save at the Tinto Inn right as you are insulted by Jess and Hauser. The trick at that point is to choose option #2 when asked by Gustav if you would like to discuss strategies against Neclord. Choose option #2 and you can leave the house and save then. I actually suggest you do save, to be sure the glitch won’t ruin several minutes or hours of game play.

Q. What happens during the glitch?
    A. You are allowed to roam the area behind walls, but that is it. You are stuck at that point and cannot do anything about it. The game will not progress and you have to reset. Sucks if you have not saved your game in a while, doesn’t it?

Q. How can I avoid this glitch and get on with the game?
    A. Simple. When the soldier runs in and says Jess is moving out his troops, do NOT enter any of the shops. Run straight down and watch the scene with Jess, Hauser, Viktor, Klaus, and Ridley. Then you will be back into the house with Viktor and that is how the game is supposed to progress.

Acknowledgements

Thanks to Jesus Christ who enabled me with a bit of free time to write this! And He gave me many other awesome things too!

Thanks to the reader (you)!

Thanks to Playstation USA for translating this awesome game.

Thanks for Code Breakers, that allow people to get cheat codes so they can better write these guides (although I did not use a cheat here).

Thanks to my wife, who let me play when I have time! lol

Take care!

OrlandoDude (from Romulation forums)

Copyright info

OrlandoDude (from Romulation forums)
    Copyright 2008​

2. M.AzaryPika3172

M.AzaryPika3172 Well-Known Member

Nice games! :p But you forgot the Nintendo DS version included!

3. lcleong

lcleong Well-Known Member

Suikoden Treirekis is nds not psp!