1. This forum is in read-only mode.

[PSP] ISO Decryption, no PSP?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by altaccount_fake, Jan 7, 2011.

1. After a few Googlings, I've been led to believe that it's essentially impossible to play a PSP game on a PC emulator as an actual, physical PSP is required to decrypt the ISO. Can anyone confirm or deny this? I'd be more than happy to pay for the games in question if it weren't for the prohibitively high cost of the PSP itself--I'm just not in a financial situation that allows purchasing a nearly-antiquated $200 game console just to play two or three games--and if a PSP is necessary regardless, I fear I may be wasting my time.

Additional information:
    PCSP emulator, running in XP compatibility mode on a W7 64bit PC (AMD Phenom II [email protected], Radeon HD5770, 8GB RAM), all ISOs display a black screen at 0FPS (I assume that means they're encrypted).

2. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

The PSP emulator works on a few games but not all. The emulator is pretty bad, it's still pretty new. Not all games require decrypting, only ones that are using what is pretty much a piracy protection (firmware stuffs).

That being said, you can purchase a new PSP for about 160-170 dollars. But those wouldn't be full hackable. If you look at ebay you can find some older PSP 1000s for 100-150 bucks or so.

3. meganova

meganova Well-Known Member

As far as I know, the only way to decrypt an ISO is by using the PSP itself, so yeah.
    But, you don't need to decrypt the whole ISO, only the clean/untouched EBOOT file that can be found inside the ISO.

Ask someone who own a PSP to do it for you, then you can compile the ISO by yourself using the UMDGen.
    However, since you get a black screen and zero fps running, it could probably means that the ISO you trying to load is either patched or
    has prometheus loader in it, because if it was decrypted, a message saying the ISO is encrypted should be appear just after you load it.

and use JPCSP, as it show more progression, updates, and able to run more games, than PCSP.

4. Interesting, JPCSP does seem to run them... but only at 2-5FPS for some reason. All the games in question are listed as "loadable" in their compatibility list (which seems to be their best status, as far as I can tell). It's times like this I wish Steam had every game ever made available for PC. >__<