1. This forum is in read-only mode.

TUTORIAL: How to Dump/Restore .SAV files to a Legit Cartridge using WiFi.

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by insanecrazy07, Mar 26, 2010.

1. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

TUTORIAL: How to Dump/Restore .SAV files to a Legit Cartridge using WiFi.
    Stuff Needed:
    A Flashcart and Legit cartridge
    SavSender 1.1 (SavSender.nds) Download here: http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=63925
    Netcat (nc.exe) Download here: http://joncraton.org/files/nc111nt.zip
    cmd line commands

READ THE ENTIRE TUTORIAL BEFORE STARTING!

1. On the root of your microSD card, make a New Folder called DATA.
    2. Inside the DATA folder, make another New Folder called SETTINGS.
    3. Create a new .txt file called savsender.txt and open it in Notepad.
    4. Run cmd and type ipconfig.
    5. Copy down the IP address, should be 192.168.1.xx or something like that. Mine is 192.168.1.68
    6. In the savsender.txt file, type the IP address that is shown and choose a port. All tutorials, and I, used 5000.
    It should be typed like this:
    7. Save the file.
    8. Rename the extension of the file from .txt to .conf
    9. Put savsender.nds in the DATA folder

Next section covers Port Forwarding. I didn't need to do this section...
    However, since every router brand is different, the Port Forwarding is different. The idea is to enter in the IP and the port that was found earlier in making a new Port Forwarding entry. To make this simpler, just turn off the internal firewall on your router, but don't forget to turn it back on when you’re done.

Put nc.exe onto your Desktop

Dumping Saves:
    1. Run cmd.
    2. Type cd desktop, hit enter.
    3. Now type nc.exe –l –p 5000 > savefile.sav
    5000 is the port number, that is a lowercase L, not a 1 or an I, savefile being whatever you want to name it. When you're done, hit enter and don't touch it.
    4. Boot up your flashcart with the microSD card in it.
    5. Go to DATA.
    6. Start savsender.
    7. When the black screen comes up, switch the flashcart with the legit cartridge, and press A to start dumping.
    8. When it says Done! You are done. It should be on your Desktop.
    9. Hit Ctrl + C to end the "nc.exe –l –p 5000 > savefile.sav" command.

Restoring Saves:
    Note: The savefile must be on your Desktop along with nc.exe
    1. Run cmd.
    2. Type cd desktop, hit enter.
    3. Now type nc.exe –l –p 5000 < savefile.sav
    5000 is the port number, that is a lowercase L, not a 1 or an I, savefile being the save file on your desktop. When you're done, hit enter and don't touch it. This needs to be <, don’t mix this up with the last instruction set.
    4. Boot up your flashcart with the microSD card in it.
    5. Go to DATA.
    6. Start savsender.
    7. When the black screen comes up, switch the flashcart with the legit cartridge, and press B to start restoring. Do not get this mixed up with the Dumping function.
    8. When it says Done! You are done. The savefile that was designated on your Desktop is now copied to the legit cartridge.
    9. Hit Ctrl + C to end the "nc.exe –l –p 5000 < savefile.sav" command.
    [​IMG]
    The end result of what it looks like, even halting the process at the end of the transmission.

Ending comments: This tutorial is based off of this tutorial http://www.scdev.org/forum/index.php?topic=9915.0 reworded to make it EVEN SIMPLER than when I did it. I was going to include SavReceiver in this tutorial but the Restoring function doesn’t work as smoothly (or at all) as the dumping function does so I decided to go the Netcat route since it does both flawlessly.

2. Jonez001

Jonez001 Well-Known Member

Is it possible to delete save files with this?

3. insanecrazy07

I don't think so...but you could just send over a blank save, although it would probably register as a corrupt save...It may let you start the game over though...

You could also start the game using an emulator, save ASAP, and then transfer that .SAV file over. It would be the same thing as starting over on the legit cartridge.

4. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

Alternatively there will be this device coming around in near time : http://r4i-sdhc.com/SaveDongle.asp
    Its useful in dumping and editing save files from legit cartridges for NDS, DSi, and 3DS.

5. insanecrazy07

Cool, except it might only be useful for 3DS applications (who uses DSi anyway?).
    Why buy ANOTHER piece of hardware when you have a perfectly good piece of software that is FREE.

Also, why does the site look like one of those shitty torrent clone sites? Ya know, the ones that promise you a torrent download but when you click it, it just goes to a credit card form...

Also, with anything hardware, what's the situation with standardization? Will RAW/R4/CycloDS/M3 .SAV files work (like the ones I mention in the tutorial) or does this hardware create its own nonstandardized format?

6. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

Regarding functionality its as stated by them compatible with NDS/DSi/3DS original cartridges.
    Yes, its unnecessary to buy a hardware when you can make use of such program you have posted, but isn't that program above limited for use on NDS original game carts only? While of cause its more suited for 3DS cartridges since as we know, many of the 3DS carts have a save file edit/delete restriction that makes re-selling as 2nd hand a hurdle.

I'm quite sure the site is legit and not like you think it is. But, I am unsure about their promo of giving away 300 of their upcoming product as real or not. But I have received a letter from their ADMIN after I responded to their offer within just 24 hours, and now after a few days waiting my name is finally among the listed to receive the free product.

When and if I do get the product, only then can I make further remark/comment about it, especially since they require beneficiaries of the free product to write some feedback/review. Which of cause I will comply should the product really reach my hand. Until then, its more or less wait and see.

Edit:

Finally received the free product as they had said will send. Will be making a review once I've tested it.