1. This forum is in read-only mode.

[Wii] Problems with burning Xenoblade Chronicles and The Last Story

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by malachite125, May 10, 2012.

1. malachite125

malachite125 Active Member

I recently tried to burn the NTSC version of Xenoblade Chronicles to an 8.5GB Verbatim DVD-R DL disc using ImgBurn. When I tried to burn the ISO onto the disc, I got some type of error where the program kept trying to do something (it was a while ago, but I think it said it was trying to write a "lead-in") and froze, and I couldn't close out of it, so I had to re-start my computer.

I did some research to see if there was something wrong with my DVD burner, and I downloaded a program called Nero Infotool to see if my drive supports dual-layered discs. The program said that I can use 'em, so I figured I must've done something wrong in ImgBurn. I looked up the error I had in the program, and I read somewhere that in order to burn dual-layered Wii games onto a dual-layered disc you need to manually set a layer-break in the ImgBurn options. So I tried messing around with that, using a value that was said to work with Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and the ISO seemed to have successfully been burned onto the disc. When I popped it into my Wii (which can read dual-layered discs, by the way), however, I got an error message when trying to boot in in Neogamma.

I've successfully burned Wii games onto DVD-Rs before, but none of them were dual-layered. Additionally, the ISO seems to work when I run it on Dolphin, so I don't think the problem is with the game itself. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a specific layer-break number for every dual-layered Wii game? I also plan on burning The Last Story, so any help with either of these games would be appreciated.

inb4useaharddriveinstead

2. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

It's your burner.

I've had the same slew of issues, with the same diagnostics. Yes, my drive was able to burn DVD+R DL (printed on the label), but would either screw up at the Lead-in or at the layer break.

My external LG Blu-Ray burner does the job without any issues.

You're doing everything right, except that the burner is at fault.

3. malachite125

I see. Since the burner I used is the one built into my laptop, an external burner might be my only option. Can you recommend a good/cheap one aside from the Blu-Ray one you have?

Either way, thanks for the quick response!

4. insanecrazy07

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&safe=off&q=dvd+dl+burners&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1024&bih=1064&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=8575480023955277021&sa=X&ei=CVmrT6OzKpKE8QTilLUb&ved=0CN0BEPMCMAE

Lol. $24. I remember when these were ridiculous in price.

Ideally, you'll want to find one that obviously burns DL discs, and something that doesn't require AC adapters, or additional software like the one I just linked.

My Blu-Ray burner is the exact same setup as this one, except in Blu-Ray (which also burns everything underneath Blu-Ray).

5. I-Fatman

I-Fatman Well-Known Member

An option with The Last Story is (depends on what version you have though) that you can make it to fit on a DVD5.
    I succeded, burned it and now I am at 55H gameplay. The version I have of it is PAL undub with english texting.

6. malachite125

Hmm, this looks pretty good. Really inexpensive, too. I'll look into it further before I buy it, though, just in case.

I searched around a little and found these steps to burn the PAL undub version of The Last Story; are these the steps you followed?

"1. Open The last Story Undub folder with FileTrip Download Wii Backup Manager and transfer it to ISO to get a 7.91 GB ISO.
    2. Open the 7.91 GB ISO with WiiSrubber, select trim and wait a while to get a 4.15 GB ISO
    3. Open the 4.15 GB ISO with WiiBackup Manager and transfer it to WBFS to get a 4.15 GB folder with one or two wbfs files.
    4. Open the 4.15 GB folder with WiiBackup Manager and transfer it to ISO to get a 4.37 GB ISO.

Now you can burn a correct size DVD-5 Wii image."

I found a download for the folder with "one or two wbfs files" at 4.15GB that's mentioned in step 3, so all I have to do is open this folder with WiiBackup Manager and convert it to an ISO, correct? Or do I have to trim it first?

Also, it seems that this undubbed version is the only version of the game that can be burned onto a DVD-5 - do you happen to know why that is?

7. I-Fatman

The reason why you can make it fit a DVD5 is that they have deleted some audio and text files.
    If you get a ISO at 4.15 directly you may burn it, but if it is 7.91 you need to follow the steps and that's it.

Hope you enjoy The Last Story as much as I do. :D

8. malachite125

I think I can pretty much confirm that my burner isn't working properly; I tried burning the undubbed version of The Last Story, and the burn verification on ImgBurn showed some errors. Sure enough, when I tried playing the game on my Wii the game kept freezing when voice-acting occurred, forcing me to eject the disc and re-insert it. It continues right where it left off, but as soon as more voice-acting starts it freezes again. Additionally, the game worked perfectly fine when I tried running it on Dolphin. I was thinking that I happened to have a bad disc when I tried burning Xenoblade, but since I used a different type of disc from a different manufacturer (I have Philips 4.7GB DVD-Rs) to burn The Last Story and it too didn't burn properly, it would appear that the burner itself seems to be causing the problems. Oh well.

But yeah, thanks again for the advice!

9. sylar1000

sylar1000 Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that, but it might be easier to use a HDD, they are pretty cheap.

10. malachite125

Dunno, I'll look into it. Can you recommend any HDDs that will work with a Wii and are relatively small (and therefore inexpensive)? I think anything from 64GB to 120GB should suffice, but I'm open to suggestions.

11. insanecrazy07

A 500 GB one right now is around $70-$80.
    I've seen some off-brand 500 GB HDDs go for about $30.
    Anything lower in size has a difference of about $10.

I'd recommend one that only requires one USB connection, both data and power. No AC adapters or anything. The Wii will not work with drives that require two USB cables to run (one data, one power).

12. malachite125

Hmm, I found a 500GB Seagate HDD on sale at Best Buy for $64.99; seems like a pretty good deal to me. The website even says it's in stock at my local store, so that's pretty convenient.

Just so I get this straight, I just need to install USB Loader GX on my Wii and WBFS Manager on my PC, partition the HDD, format it and add games with WBFS Manager, and load the games using USB Loader GX? I've never used an HDD with my Wii before, but the steps look pretty simple.

13. insanecrazy07

Yep. Except that I personally use uLoader. Same thing. I just couldn't get mine to work with USB Loader GX.

Also, note that this setup only works with one of the USB ports. Not sure which. I think it's the USB port closest to the edge.

And I'd recommend running dual partitions. One NTFS volume, and one WBFS volume.
    I seriously doubt you're going to use all 465 GB for Wii games. I don't think all of good games combined on the Wii amount to 100 GB. lol

And you can't count the full disc amount when counting them since WBFS takes out the padded data. So yeah, most of your 4.7 GB games are actually 2 GB. 8.5 GB games are usually 5.5 or 6 GB.

I'm sure you're going to like the HDD setup since there's going to be a huge disc read improvement when loading your games. Especially with games like Rune Factory that has to reload every single freaking area upon entry, regardless if you just loaded it 5 seconds ago. (ie. going from Town to a shop, and back to the same town). Either that's poor design or the Wii sucks that badly and can't seem to load as you go.

Oh, and Super Smash Bros. Brawl loads almost instantaneously compared to the disc that seems to take a bit to load.

Also, don't worry about brand. Just get the cheapest one that is able to transfer data and power itself through the same USB. All you're going to be putting on there are disc images (which you should have hard copy backups on hand just in case). If you were to hypothetically throw the drive out of a 10 story building, the only data you should be losing is data you already have another source to.

14. I-Fatman

You could just use FAT and put all of your WBFS files in a directory named WBFS. That way you may use all the other free space for whatever you want.

15. sylar1000

sylar1000 Well-Known Member

I just use a couple of small 16 GB flashdrives i got for like 10-15 bucks. I don't play a billion games at once anyway.