1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Twilight Princess

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Fennyariel, May 15, 2015.

1. Fennyariel

Fennyariel Well-Known Member

Could somebody please tell me why when I just start out in Twilight Princess I get to the lake to get Epona from that girl (her name escapes me) my computer just plain shuts down. I've got an AMD 6100 6 core processor and 8 gig of RAM, and with all that I shouldn't have any problems. I've even tried playing with the version of the game you guys have here.

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

sudden shutting down is usually temperature or power related.

3. Blazemax

Blazemax Well-Known Member

not always, sometimes its malware, computer bugs, COMPUTER CRASHES, overloaded system, faulty wiring, and me least favorite, the annoying family member who loves to pull the power cord when i playing video games, which endes up turning into a blood bathe.

Im guessing you are using dolphin emulator, can you tell me which build and if you are playing the WII or GC version and i believe i can help.(not a promise but i can try)

4. Loonylion

bugs and crashes will have a blue screen, someone pulling the power cord wouldn't need a topic. Malware won't cause a power off, it would be an orderly shutdown.

Overloaded system == power issue, ditto faulty wiring.

5. Blazemax

Bull, i have had bugs and crashes where the computer just turned off, no blue screen, no warnings(but i did get a few error messages after restarting). Second that last part was a joke, but it does belong in the group. You think i never had computer problems before? i play games alot, of course ive seen my fair share of weird and unexplained things.

6. Fennyariel

OOPS! I am using Dolphin and it's the latest x64 version of 4.06-6266. And I of course am playing the gamecube version! ;v) Never did like the fact that they made good ole southpaw Link a righty in the Wii version! :mad:

7. Blazemax

ok, i know the latest builds can be unstable. you could try using one of the stable ones, just till you clear the part that makes you computer pttb. if it occurs again, then you are going to need to be checking your computer top to bottom to find out what is going on.

8. Fennyariel

Well I did download one of the older versions. Now I just need somebody to tell me how the hairy heck am I supposed to combinate buttons and joysticks on my Xbox 360 controller so I can stab the stupid scarecrow for the kids?

9. Blazemax

well for starters, the button mapping for whatever you used for the previous build, is saved in your registry so you should have to do this part again, and hopefully the save will also be fine(and if not uhoh). I use several emulators version sometimes cause some games seem to work better on one than the others, and i never update unless its has a game i want to play that states "its not broken anymore".

If you didnt get that ill make it simpler, install older version(without doing anything with current one). move the save from the current version to the older one save folder. start older emulator version, check to see if you settings are correct(same with your buttons) play game to see if it works, do your task in the game to see if your computer does die. if you succeed play a little after that then save, take newly save file from older emulator and put it in current save file(save a copy of the previous save for just incase). Continue playing on current version of emulator like nothing happen should everything go fine. if it does however doesnt.....i think you might have to find someone smart that you can find in physical form to help you.

10. shrubtime

shrubtime New Member

if you dont get it working you can always upload the iso on to a sd card and play it directly from your wii ( given that your wii is softmodded ) using wiiflow on the homebrew channel. this isnt much help but it is an alternate option if all else fails

11. Loonylion

the game runs fine on 4.02

12. Fennyariel

Thanx for trying guys but it seems no matter what version of Dolphin I get it still crashes me. I have given up!

13. Blazemax

I havent heard having the same problem you been having so fixing it is very hard, especially for isolated incidents. Its not unheard of for someone to have problems other dont get(for example epsxe after playing a game and closing the program, it likes to fake exiting fullscreen, even though it was NEVER in fullscreen, and ironicly this is the first time that it happens, since i have change my hard drive a few times).

Only advice i can offer is playing with your settings to see if it will help. you can try changing opengl to direct3d or others, or even asking someone else to take your save, play after the issue and give it back, hoping that it never HAPPENS AGAIN!!! just cause one idea fails, doesnt mean there isnt a solution.

14. Loonylion

I'm pretty sure its a hardware issue with the computer. either the processor is overheating or the PSU isn't capable of supplying enough power when the computer is running dolphin. the OP didn't say that dolphin is crashing, she said the computer is shutting off. That is almost always hardware related.

15. Blazemax

I agree with you that it might be hardware, but the fact it is shutting off EVERYTIME the person reaches the same point in the game telling me its software acting on the hardware. I mean if it happens when doing something else maybe, but i know that some emulators like to put wear and tear on your system which can cause it to um not work right. Its a play at your own risk.

I know one time over maxed my cpu doing 3 sites simultaneously and the result. computer restarted, no blue screen, no warning. got to be more careful so something worse wont happen.

16. Loonylion

more likely the game just pushes the hardware over the edge at that specific point. The load caused by the emulator isn't constant, it varies according to the complexity of the code it's currently running, and most likely at that specific point the load is sufficiently high to overload the psu or trip the thermal cutout on the CPU.

17. Jhon 591

Jhon 591 Well-Known Member

Be cheaper and less hassle to buy a £20 - 25 001 Wii with last firmware released, these day's and cherry bomb it ;D

18. Blazemax

im not so sure about that, i know dolphin can only use so much cpu and ram, but if op is right about their specs so far, im quite sure that the psu is sufficent to the task. i could be wrong, but i dont think so or this would be happing to everyone else and so far i havent found one mention of it.

Well before you argue about it lets ask OP "What is your psu?"

19. Loonylion

Dolphin can use as much as is available, it's multicore aware and I've seen it using 27GB of RAM.

I've seen computers that worked fine under normal use but as soon as you put them under heavy stress the psu crapped out. Had it happen on my own computer when I upgraded to an 8800GTX, the computer ran fine but when I tried to run a game it shut off; the issue was the 8800GTX needed 40A on the 12V line in 3D mode, and my PSU could only supply 36A.

@OP: We need to see screenshots of cpu-z, coretemp and speedfan. We also need to know what PSU you have (make, model, wattage, and ideally how many 12V rails it has and the amps on each) and what GPU you have.

20. Fennyariel

Looney I'd love to tell you all the but I can't right now. I'd have to be able to open my case and I can't. And as for that other stuff I don't even know how to find out what that is. Besides, all that sounds like I might have to replace something and I don't have the money to do that right now anyway. So like I said, I'm going to have to give up on it for now, thnax anyway.