1. This forum is in read-only mode.

[X360] Banjo-Kazooie Nuts & Bolts - Natewlie

Discussion in 'Game Reviews' started by Natewlie, Nov 26, 2008.

1. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

IT'S BANJO AND KAZOOIE WITH SUPER DIFFERENCES. They're back, although not like you remember them. Rare decided to ditch almost all the platforming elements from the older Banjo games and replace it with vehicular mayhem, vehicle creation and mission based gameplay. Think of Lego GTA with Banjo-Kazooie characters.

[​IMG]

Banjo Kazooie begins briefly with a scene around Spiral Mountain, Banjo and Kazooie eating/playing video games and overweight (yes, fat). They're talking about not having an adventure for ten odd years. Then Grunty's skull comes out from the rubble of herself from their last outing and hops around to the couple. They start a confrontation and the Lord Of Games (LOG for short) comes and tells them to compete. The whole situation and delivery of this scene is humorous, light-hearted and there are a lot of references to Rare's other games. Then LOG throws the three into Showdown Town and shows you how to make vehicles and do things with the wrench that he equipped Kazooie with. Oh yes, all the moves in the previous games aren't in here, Kazooie only uses a Wrench to pick things up (In fact Kazooie asks for the moves back when he gives back the slender body of the couple and Grunty's body. LOG dismisses them as useless.). The story of the game is to compete against Grunty and then inevitably beat her, for a third time.

Most of the characters are here from the old Banjo games. Grunty, Banjo, Kazooie, Mumbo, Humbo, Klungo, Bottles and even Mr Fit are back. While Rare saw fit to add more, they are a welcomed addition, LOG, Piddles (Grunty's sidekick), the Policechief and TT. LOG being the best character out of the new ones, he's always there to give commentary and it's usually sarcastic, dry, humorous and breaks the fourth wall. All the dialogue is like that in the game but LOG's dialogue is most prominent and sticks out the most. All the characters all have something to say and the witty remarks that Banjo and Kazooie come up with is usually hilarious. Rare has not lost their humor from the past games and it's great they still have it, it gives the game a certain light heartedness and charm. Which most games do not have anymore.

While the story's main objective is lack luster, it makes up for it by the charm and dialogue. You'll always be enthralled by what the characters are going to say.

[​IMG]

The game plays as smooth as butter. Although if you were a fan of the past Banjo games (I've played them briefly) you might be a little disappointed by what I'm about to say. This Banjo game plays NOTHING like the past ones. Rare decided it wasn't fit to make a cookie cutter platform like the last ones and decided to make it about vehicle challenges and vehicle customization. But the game is just as fun. Just like the past ones, there is a hub world (showdown town, and it's huge) and you go from one to the other starting challenges and completing them for Jiggies and Trophies. Jiggies make a return and you get them by completing challenges, trophies are when you complete a challenge above the requirements to get a jiggy. Get four trophies and you get a jiggy.

The challenges themselves aren't that difficult but they are always fun and entertaining. The challenges vary from racing, collecting object to playing soccer, Destruction Derbies and more. The challenges are made in such a way that to complete them and acquire the trophies you have to think outside the box and create a vehicle to better complete the challenge. Every challenge LOG gives you a vehicle that's suitable for the challenge but it is never the best. If you have the parts then you are able to better LOG''s recommendation vehicle.Example, during the soccer challenge LOG gave me a vehicle to push soccer balls in the net, so I edited it so I can fit 5 soccer balls in the net of my vehicle and I put springs inside to shoot the soccer balls at the net. I got the trophy. :>

The vehicle creation is akin to Spore's creator's, it's simple and intuitive. You are still able to create complex creations and it's easy. If you don't like that kind of creation or using your imagination it might be harder to use but it's still simple to use, you just have to get used to it. Once you're used to it you can create a helicopter that detaches into a plane. Or if you're interested you can make a penis car and make it squirt water. If you're inclined to. You can add odd parts and even add a megaphone that makes sound. To collect parts, you collect crates in showdown town and give them to Mumbo.

[​IMG]

The sound design for this game is quite good. The sound affects aren't that spectacular meaning I can't remember most, but the music is different. The music is amazing, it's basically enhanced music from the past games, the dynamic music from the old games is also here. (Meaning you go from land to water and the music changes tone). There is no voice acting in this game and it's better that way. All the quirky sounds the characters made from the past games are still here. Thank god, no one wanted cheesy voice acting in MY Banjo game. Luckily the graphics are more than up to par with the music. The graphics of the game are simply nothing short of AMAZING. Probably the best looking game of this gen. It's colorful, smooth, detailed and animates beautifully. There is also absolutely no texture pop-in or pop-in in the game that's noticeable. This game is a graphical marvel. Although they changed the character models from circular to blocky, they still look fantastic (there's a bit by Grunty who says the fans will hate the way it looks).

[​IMG]

That basically sums it up, Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts is drastically different from the past iterations but it's still nothing of a great and fun game. It's gameplay style and artistic style is a breath of fresh from today's gritty, bloody shooters and it's just as good. Congrats to Rare for making such a different and fun game, congrats indeed.

NXE install stuff: 6.7 Gigabytes, an approx. a 10 minute install. Made my game's cut scenes stop being choppy and loaded parts faster. It also decreased loading screens from 10 seconds to 7.

+ Gameplay is fun, just as fun as the past iterations
    + Dialogue is humorous
    + Characters are entertaining
    + Vehicle customization is simple and deep.
    + Tons of parts to use and play with
    + Arguably the best looking game this gen
    + Music is phenomenal.
    ? There is an easter egg in this game referencing to Rare resurrecting their past series' (Battletoads, Jet Force Gemini, Blast Corps, Grabbed By The Ghoulies and Killer Instinct). Will they return?
    - Sounds are forgettable
    - Vehicle physics may take some time getting used to
    - Other people's creations on XBL vary from penis to penis and sexual innuendos. If you find a game.

That's my review style, suck it up. I'll edit this review with pictures and content asap when I'm not busy. Editing this will be frequent because I'm picky.

Decide for yourself if this game is worth it, number based reviews are too subjective and a 7 nowadays means it terrible to some people.

Bottom line, I love this game.

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

Re: [X360] Banjo-Kazooie Nuts & Bolts

please can you score each of the 5 categories out of 10 and give a total out of 50 as per the stickied guidlines topic. Also this needs some screenshots (can be taken from another site). Other than that, it's a good start.

3. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

Sorry to be on my high horse sort of but I'm refusing to. A number based score is different to person to person and a 9 out of 10 may not last forever (see GTAIV and a few other games). Instead I'm saying the positives and the negatives of the game because you read them and think about them then make the purchase or rental upon those positives. Some people buy games instantly because it gets a ten from a popular review site then regret it (see again, GTAIV). My husband bought the game and immediately shelved it.

Make the conscience decision upon the positives and negatives and not the number. 7 or 8 to some may mean it's meh or bad.

And why the rule? Everyone has different review styles and this rule kinda funnels all the styles into only one which isn't the greatest thing in the world.

That's what I have to say in the matter.

If I need a number score then, I give it a 30 out of x.

4. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

a number score following a single system is a requirement to be able to compare games to each other. if one game is reviewed and given 8/10, while another gets 45/50, there is no clear comparison. Our system tries to make things more fair by allowing reviewers to award points out of 10 in each of 5 categories (graphics, sound, story, presentation and replayability I think offhand) These scores are then added up to make one total out of 50. We encourage justification of each individual score. Numerical scores also provide the reader a brief synopsis of the review, and allow them to quickly see exactly what is good about a game and where it isn't so good.

5. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

There are many reviewers on this site. Opinion varies from person to person, I thought Mirror's Edge is a really good game, that doesn't mean everyone else does. So comparing scores does not work. I also think it's better than FFTA2. I mean, oh my gosh. :<

If a game gets 8/10 and you compare it to a game that gets 45/50, then either divide by 5 or times it by 5. :p

And I also have a brief synopsis of the games positives and negatives. Putting a score on a video game is akin to putting a score on how tasty food is. With this format you're able to interpret the review into your own score, if you want the game or not. Instead of a number shoved down the throat.

If you're into number scores and only that then go to the positives and negatives, it gives you better insight. And instead of someone saying "AW MAN THAT GAME GOT AN 8"it'll be more like "AW MAN THAT GAME IS TIGHT AND ENJOYABLE AND STUFF", makes it more justifiable.

I mean this by the most upmost respect. I just think that the review rules aren't accustomed to other styles and it limits them, and I simply prefer mine over the number one in place.

6. Rhith

Rhith Well-Known Member

Another positive note that you may want to include is that the game is only FOURTY dollars instead of the insane sixty nearly every other game refuses to avoid. I just picked up the copy I reserved yesterday and it is fun! Not very far yet.

(My advice, just do the number score so this doesn't get locked.) ;)

7. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

Thanks Rhith. I forgot to add that, although this doesn't apply to our neighbors across the sea. The UK has the game at regular price.

I'm not too worried about this topic getting locked, I'm waiting for another post from loony or a moderator to see if this sort is okay. Loony hasn't replied so it might be alright.

8. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Hi Natalie!

Good review, however you should just add in the required marks.

9. Reider

Reider Modereider

Honestly, I have no real objections if you choose not to add in a score. You seem to have put in a fair amount of work into it and I'd consider the "pros and cons" section about as good a set-up as any.

Just my $0.02 on it.

10. Rhith

Rhith Well-Known Member

Well that settles it!
    Great game, great review!
    I've played a bit more now and it's great. For those who have played the demo, it goes into it slower then that. I haven't even reached the stage in the demo yet. Get so many more pieces and a lot of achievements in the beginning. Well worth the purchase.

"? There is an easter egg in this game referencing to Rare resurrecting their past series' (Battletoads, Jet Force Gemini, Blast Corps, Grabbed By The Ghoulies and Killer Instinct). Will they return?"

Tech level, game disks and floor sections referring to many Rare games including 360 disks with Banjo Kazooie (which is out on 360) and a 360 disk with Banjo Tooie on it. (I have a feeling it will be out next.)

11. cab9541

cab9541 Well-Known Member

i dont blame you on the scoring issue since gta4 got a perfect ten from at least one popular site and there is no game that deserves that, especially not a grand theft auto game. all gta games are really good but far from perfect, to say a game is perfect is way out of line. great review i might pick this up on my next trip to best buy

12. Rhith

Rhith Well-Known Member

GET IT :D
    I've 'beaten' the game now. (Not all stages but last battle is done) Was fun through and through and I'm still working through it all. And it gets HARD. I can NOT get the T.T. Trophy on the final battle. Missed it by 11 seconds. :(

13. cab9541

whats with the nxe install thing she mentioned? i just bought my 360 and only have five games (the four that came with it and saints row) before all i had was a ghettobox(or wii for short) and dont know what all this cool new stuff is

14. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

NXE is the new Xbox dashboard update, you can get it if you hook up your box online. Or if you find a torrent and put it on a memory stick and use it on your box. You're able to install games onto the HD.

15. cab9541

wow thats pretty cool thanks i will be getting my 360 online once bresnan hooks our internet up right now i am just runnin off my neighbors(yes i have full permission, i party with them) and dont wanna drop the hundred dollars for the stupid adapter when the damn thing should have come with integrated wireless anyway. at least with a wired connection i will suffer less lag once i get to playin online. so with the nxe install do you still need the game disc?

16. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

Are you able to completely install games onto the HD like some PS3 games? Or do you still need the stupid disc?
    I hate having to carry around discs all of the time. I go portable with my PS3. I take it to my friends' houses every once in awhile.
    I still haven't gotten a 360...dammit.

Anyway, onto the review.
    Pretty good. I only liked the first Banjo Kazooie game. I didn't really get into Banjo Tooie. I'm not surprised that this game is different from the others since microsoft (yes, small m. I seriously hate microsoft now) bought Rare.
    Making a penis car that squirts water might actually be the deciding factor on getting a 360.
    Hell, me and my buddies made a penis on the drumset in Rock Band, made everyone wear bright pink with penis tattoos and funny sayings like I heart COCK (I don't know how to make the heart symbol on here).
    Fun times.

17. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

It completely installs but you still need the disc for verification. It's so you can't rent games, install and return. It's so you actually buy them.

18. Girogex

Girogex Guest

Wow! seph was right winter is pretty up tight. No disrespect to you winter.

Anyway awesome review Natewlie, you have opened my eyes to a greater possibility on reviewing games.

I might as well play this game.

19. cab9541

i think it would be safe to say that you sir have a penis fetish