1. This forum is in read-only mode.

FF8 corrupt text problem

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Makatak, Sep 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Makatak

Makatak Member

I am using epsxe. When I use Petes OpenGL 2.9, I get wierd, corrupted, unreadable text almost everywhere in Final Fantasy 8. And when I use any D3D or OpenGL plugin 1.77, the text is fine, but the cutscenes/videos are blank/corrupted.

And the corrupted text problem occurs whether I use epsxe 1.7.0, 1.6.0, or 1.5.2. What versions of espxe, plugins, and options should I use or avoid to run the game without major problems like that?

2. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Try using the 'Nice' setting in the video plugin configuration.

3. Makatak

Makatak Member

that is what I'm using. And I've tried randomly messing with other settings, but to no avail.

4. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

What type of video card do you have? Non-Nvidia (GeForce) cards have trouble with OpenGL.

I think my setup uses ePSXe 1.5.2 with Pete's OpenGL2, but I'll check it out later to be sure. I do remember the corrupted text, and I thought switching to 1.5.2 fixed that for me. You should also go into the game fixes section of the plugin and enable anything dealing with FF8. I think there are some cursor fixes and stuff for it.

5. Sltl

Sltl Member

[​IMG]

with 0x0002 and 0x1000 in Special Games Fixes.
    0x1000 must be used only with 1.5.2.

This is the basic video setting for FF8 with pete's OpenGL 2.9.

Note that Using texture filtering and Hi res textures can turn font into gilberish (note sure about the writting of this word... :x)

6. anandjones

Try using Pete's Soft Driver. Otherwise, you could pSX emulator instead?

7. -zeRo-

-zeRo- Well-Known Member

Isn't there any special fixes for this game?

8. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

yes, there should be at least one.

9. Makatak

Makatak Member

well strangely enough, it looks ok now. When I used nice settings this time, I let the game load like normal instead of using f3 to jump to the main menu.

10. anandjones

Save-states do cause many issues.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.