1. This forum is in read-only mode.

GBA ExpLoader Tutorial

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by mikeac, Nov 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikeac

mikeac Well-Known Member

There is a newer version of GBA ExpLoader that is combined with moonshell.
    Here is how you use it.
    This is NOT NEEDED for certain flash carts. The CycloDS, Acekard, M3 Real, Edge, and EZFlashV don't need this, only if you need it for Rumble or RAM. For Rumble or RAM, don't use Moonshell, skip that part into v0.57/8.
    GBA-NDS linking is possible when you flash it to the NOR in the second part of the topic.

Here is where GBA ExpLoader updated, if there are any new updates that I have not yet posted, PM me.

PM me if you have got this working PLEASE!

Confirmed working:
    Moonshell Version:
    mikeac (Acekard 2i + EZ Flash 3in1)
    GBA ExpLoader .57:
    mikeac
    GBA ExpLoader .58b:
    none yet
    GBA ExpLoader .58X:
    none yet

Requirements:
    Flashcart/Linker compatible with GBA ExpLoader
    (ie. Any Homebrew compatible, Slot-2 compatible card.)
    Supported Slot 2 device (ie. EZFlash 3in1, eWin2in1, M3 Perfect, maybe SuperCard, etc.)
    Moonshell 2.05
    GBA Roms in your Flashcart

NO DSI!!!!
    Click Moonshell and GBA Exploder to download them. Click GBA roms to look at a list of roms to download.

NOTE: This is mainly for the EZ-Flash. Based on what Slot-2 card you use, you may not have Rumble or RAM capability. I haven't used mine for about a month, so tell me how good my instructions are. The reason for that is that... I lost it. I will add pics to the how to download and insert moonshell and GBA ExpLoader, but not the use of GBA Exploader, in this topic. Also note that the Moonshell and v0.58 versions are buggy.

PART 1
    Step 1) Download and Extract the new GBA Exploader and Moonshell through the above links.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Step 2) Setup Moonshell for your card

A highly edited quote:

Step 3) Copy the two files out of the GBA Exploader folder and place it in _root_:/moonshl2/extlink/
    [​IMG]
    Step 4) Now, start up you flashcart with your slot-2 card in it, select moonshl2.nds, and check to see if you can select and load .gba games, then go to step 4-6 in part 2.
    If you can't, this version GBA Exploader is not compatible with either of your cards. You can go to the classic GBA ExpLoader, which is explained in PART 2. If you don't want to do that, you can load GBA ExpLoader manually, in the next step.
    [​IMG]

Step 5) ~~WORKAROUND~~ Okay, in MOONSHELL, go to moonshl2, extlink, and GBA ExpLoader. You must have your Slot-2 Card ready. Then, follow steps 4-6 of part two.

[​IMG]
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PART 2

OKAY. Sorry... no pics for this part, might upload later. Here is the 0.57 GBA ExpLoader and 0.58 Beta - some saving issues and 0.58X with iTouch/M3 Real compatibility - saving issues. Click the version number to download it.

Step 1) Download and extract one of the above ExpLoaders.
    Step 2) Put it in your flashcart in the root of the card.
    Step 3) With the both flashcarts in your DS, start it up, and go to the GBA Exploader file.
    Step 4) Press R/L to go to the PSRAM section. select your .gba game up to 16 MB using the on screen instructions to flash it to the PSRam and boot it up, but the data does not stay after turning your DS off.
    Step 4a) ~In place of Step 4~ Press R/L to go to the NOR section, then select the game, and instead you will flash it to the NOR, which supports up to 32MB games. Takes longer, but the game will be playable after shutdown.
    Step 5) To use Rumble, press R until you get to the Rumble menu, and select what level of rumble you want. High is uncomfortable, Medium is good, and Low is... low. This is homebrew compatible.
    Step 6) To use RAM, go to the rumble screen, enable Expansion RAM, and then start up whatever game you want(ie. NDS Browser, Quake 1/2, vMac, SNEmulDS, etc).

Moonshell is also a media player. For a readme, click here and select your language next to Online Manuals. Note, that if it says commercial NDS games not supported, then you have an older readme. If you need any help, post here or PM me.

UPDATE: Fixed and added links.
    UPDATE: Pics, minor updates.
    UPDATE: Minor updates.

2. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Re: GBA ExpLoader Tutorial ~ MSHL v0.1 (NEWEST) & v0.57 (STABLE) & v0.58 (BETA)

Just to add-the acekard doesn't need this program-if my crazy little brother can get terminator 3 working that means it's that easy :)

3. mikeac

mikeac Well-Known Member

Haha...

R4DS needs it though.

And isn't your bro my age?

4. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

13-if you are then yes.

But...he's a bit on the dumb side I guess XD

I often forget that most 13yr's here are smarter than what he is.

I only added the acekard comment because it's listed up there-the acekard doesn't need it-but can be optional...for what reason I have no clue.

5. mikeac

mikeac Well-Known Member

Well... for the AceKard you need it for Rumble and Ram... that's it.

Yeah. I'm thirteen.

I think other 11 year olds are smarter than my 11 year old little brother.

It's probably an older brother thing.

6. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

I think the CycloDS, Acekard, M3 Real, Edge, EZFlashVi all have GBA Loaders built in to their firmware :)

7. mikeac

mikeac Well-Known Member

Well... this was a waste of time then.

BUT R4/i users need this, and so do other incompatible flashcarts.

Like I said before... Some need Rumble and RAM for it.
    The Cyclo DS has auto-Rumble and Auto-Ram... you should know anyways.

8. TirithRR

TTDS, R4 and the many many clones and copies, etc. They all need the homebrew.

9. mikeac

mikeac Well-Known Member

That's what I said.

On the top I said...

10. TirithRR

I know, I was just adding to the list of cards that don't need it :)

Cause you also said in the tutorial:

Flashcart/Linker compatible with GBA ExpLoader
    (ie. AceKard, CycloDS, EZ V, R4, etc.)

11. mikeac

mikeac Well-Known Member

Edited.

They are USABLE with GBA ExpLoader.

12. Kiekoes

Kiekoes Guest

I click on Moonshell and I just get a Readme.
    Help?

13. mikeac

mikeac Well-Known Member

Fixed.

Also adding that the first option is somewhat faulty.
    UPDATE: Added pics, minor edits.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.