1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Earthbound- The ugly truth?

Discussion in 'Gaming Lounge' started by Wild_Kat, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Wild_Kat

Wild_Kat Guest

First of all, I'm linking this post to Earthbound because it's mainly about the game.

First things first. Today I finally finished Super Metroid. What an awesome game. I need to play the sequels...

But now, the interesting part.
    Today I was looking for a download of Giygas's battle music, since I need to put some more songs into my work's PC playlist and I like that song. As I was searching, I eventually ran into a forum thread in portuguese, titled (after translation): "Giygas: The most tense boss of all history of gaming".
    This is a well deserved title. Giygas is worse than Kefka. Worse than Sephiroth. Worse than any villain or anti-hero you can think of. Not because he's incredibly evil and cruel, just because of what he really is.

To those who don't know Earthbound, here are some images:

http://guineapig119.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/earthbound.png?w=512&h=448
    http://api.ning.com/files/S*DmHaFM7YggYTxSBRV6fny00D95H0f*oFj*7vIfg-4_/EarthBound_by_fashion_jerk.jpg

Sounds childish, doesn't it? The typical family-stuff Nintendoish material?
    Playing the game will actually reinforce that thought even more. You'll be fighting lots of weird enemies, including rats, bugs, hooligans using hoops, skateboards or pogos, crazy hippies, enraged ladies attacking with their purses, stressed adults and all kinds of stuff.
    During the fights, you can suffer from lots of special status, like having a cold (small DOT) or being haunted. Ness, the main character, will ocasionally suffer from being homesick, in which he'll sometimes stop fighting in the middle of the battle, and the "antidote" is calling his mom to get over being homesick.
    So far, sounds like a RPG designed for kids.

The story is quite simple: a being from another planet called Giygas comes to your planet with the same old intention we're used to: domination and destruction. And you have to get stronger to face him. Nothing new so far.

The game is actually much more interesting than it sounds. You have to join up with a blues band called Runaway Five to get through a haunted tunnel (their music scares the ghosts away), fight against a cult of lovers of the blue color, travel to an alternative world in which everything is weird, help a town get rid of being haunted by halloween-like monsters, destroy a haunted tent, trap zombies into that same tent, meet the town of Mr. Saturns (the small, big-nosed creature that can be used as an item in Super Smash Bros. Melee), fight giant dinosaurs and all kinds of stuff.

How you make money? By fighting. But beating the enemies don't give you money directly. For each fight, Ness' dad deposits a certain ammount of money on his account, and you draw that money from an ATM. How you save the game? Call your dad and he saves for you.

The other characters? Paula, a girl with psychic powers just like Ness whose special ability is Pray, which causes strange effects during battle, like everyone getting healed or the enemies suffering from negative status; Jeff, a small genius who can fix broken equipment during nights and use all kinds of gadgets in battle, like the Multi-Bottle Rocket, and he joins up with Ness and Paula because he receives Paula's prayers when she and Ness are trapped; Poo, prince of his kingdom and a martial artist who joins up because of the visions he had in his meditations.

The weapons? Ness uses baseball bats and yo-yos (like in Super Smash). Paula uses frying pans. Jeff uses toy guns. Poo is the only one that actually uses "real" weapons - he fights barehanded during most of the game, but later on he receives a powerful sword.
    Items? All kinds of stuff: burgers, cookies, foods of all kinds, toothpaste, rulers... If you eat a certain food and add the right condiment to it, the effect is doubled - like eating a burger and using ketchup, or fries and salt. You even use teddy bears as protection, they take damage for you until they can't take any more damage and are destroyed.

About the last boss, Giygas. He has three forms. The first one is the one I said above, where you fight him and Pokey. You don't attack Giygas because doing so causes damage to Ness. The second and third form are much harder, but you beat him if you know what you're doing.
    So, you beat him and go back to your world. The world is saved, everyone's happy and you watch the credits roll while watching pictures a random photographer took of you during the game. Yay!

Actually, no yay.

Like I said in the beginning of this post, I was searching for that song and ran into that thread. On that thread, I ran into the following image:

[​IMG]

The image on the left is the small "corridor" you have to go through to reach Giygas, the last boss and villain of the game. He opens up his center and shows Ness' face, for some reason the player doesn't understand. Pokey, an ex-friend of Ness, joins Giygas and you have to fight them, but only hitting Pokey until Pokey stops fighting and decides to "turn off the Devil's Machine and show the true Giygas".

The image on the right is that "true Giygas".
    Now, read the description below in that image.

Yes. You weren't fighting Giygas himself. You were fighting his fetus, after he was created by a rape. Turns out he just wanted to be friends with Ness, and the only reason he's attacking back is because he's fending off for himself, not because he's cruel and wants to destroy everything for the hell of it.

Turns out that, in the end, you were doing an abortion.

How you beat him? Senseless fighting like most RPGs won't work on the second and third forms. There's also no "weak spot" on Giygas and also there's no need to "destroy certain parts of him before attacking his head/heart" like some games. No. You have to pray nonstop with Paula while keeping the others healed. During Giygas' second form, as she prays, friends that she and Ness made during the game start praying too, thus causing damage to Giygas, until he's beaten and shows his third form. Same stuff. You keep praying. The first prayer goes unanswered. The second one is answered by someone unknown to Ness and Paula. The third one is actually answered by yourself - you, the player. The player starts praying and deals the finishing blow to Giygas.
    While all of that, he'll be unleashing devastating attacks against everyone.

The below image couldn't describe that last battle any better:

[​IMG]

Jjust try to image. You're all small kids. You're not fully grown adults who have seen all the evil in the world. Even if Ness, Paula, Jeff and Poo are all powerful and corageous, they're still kids. They find themselves uselessly fighting against a fetus who just wanted to be friends with Ness. Their efforts are for nothing and Paula's prayers are all they have left. And after Paula's praying saves them all, it turns out that, in the end, all they did was an abortion.
    So yeah, they saved their world which was the most important thing. I'd have done the same in their place. But still, they aren't the enormous heroes the game makes them sound like. They had to kill a freaking fetus who was only trying to survive after a traumatizing moment.
    These kids would probably grow with severe mental disturbances.

Anyway, the rape stuff is real, it was taken from a movie. All the rest about the fetus and so are rumors. But the worst part is: IT MAKES SENSE.
    And, even if it didn't. Just look at Giygas' true form.

[​IMG]

Not even Shadowman, Siren or Silent Hill got THIS bizarre.

Yeah, Nintendo produces a lot of stuff for kids... But not all of their material is for kids, like you can see.

I think I'll never be able to play Earthbound again...

Source: http://www.playfire.com/Yaridovich/blog/super-metroid-and-earthbound

Opinions? Post here.

2. seriaku

seriaku Well-Known Member

Re: Earthbound- The ugly truth? =Last part Spoilers=

To be honest, Earthbound is a great game, but all the meme's and shit attatched to gigyas ruined the whole game for me, and i didnt even bother to finish it, but i might one day.

Also I was reading else where, it wasnt actually a rape scene of a movie, one guy went into a movie when he wasn underaged and experienced something he thought was rape, since not in the know, had a bad memory, which, is what gigyas is based on.

3. Wild_Kat

Wild_Kat Guest

Ahhhh... That was a relief.
    Seems I won't be getting any nightmares tonight. :D

Thank you very much.

4. seriaku

seriaku Well-Known Member

If you think that craps weird/scary, I dare you to play Yume nikki, its that, but 10x worse

5. ggrroohh

ggrroohh Well-Known Member

Have you played the first game,the one on the NES?
    Some people say this game's final boss is related to the first game's final boss.
    I can't say for sure since I've never played the first one.

6. Wild_Kat

Wild_Kat Guest

Well, yes, Giygas is Mother and Earthbound's main antagonist.

7. MR4Y

MR4Y Well-Known Member

There's a article on earthbound central that explains what really was the scene and the specific movie.

8. Rysio

Rysio Well-Known Member

You know what I think? Somebody thinks too much.

9. msg2009

msg2009 Romulations sexiest member

i love earthbound, im stuck though in the dreamworld part its real hard there im gonna have to start again.
    I have to see this end boss after reading this

10. Wild_Kat

Wild_Kat Guest

Yes, but in the movie, there was no rape scene.

11. Rysio

Rysio Well-Known Member

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/522566
    Pokey returns...

12. dancubs

dancubs Well-Known Member

I love these kinds of topics. Keeps it all fresh. Hey buddy, you've got to see the Pokemon Conspiracy thread. :p

13. lampslammer

lampslammer Well-Known Member

earthbound is tits i've got the original, and it runs great on the snes emulator for ds. i've beat it a ton of times. my brother got that game when i was 8 or 9 years old.

not to be a chode or anything, but "most intense boss of all-time" i disagree. Gigas just takes time. all you need to do is use brainshock and pray.

14. indianCHAN

indianCHAN Well-Known Member

Trippy. This is quite interesting, where'd you find this info?

15. do0rkn0b

do0rkn0b New Member

this reminds me of the rinoa is ultimecia conspiracy.

16. msg2009

does anyone know if the rom on here in the nes section called earthbound is mother 1?
    google tells me its called earthbound zero so im a little confused

17. sylar1000

sylar1000 Well-Known Member

Mother for the NES is Mother Zero, or Mother 1

earthbound is Mother 2

Mother 3 for the gba

18. msg2009

so the 2 earthbounds on here, 1 for nes and 1 for snes are the same game?

19. sylar1000

sylar1000 Well-Known Member

Nope, Earthbound for the NES is a prequel i think

20. SoulSin

SoulSin Well-Known Member

Oh ... interesting.

Guess I finally found a reason to play that childish game.