1. This forum is in read-only mode.

[WII] Need quick & simple guide for installing Homebrew & USB Loader on Wii

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Heche, Apr 2, 2010.

1. Heche

Heche Active Member

Unfortunately my Wii suffered a child / toast related fatality the other day, so i've had to go out and buy a brand new one to replace it. No biggie, except for the fact that I had my previous one soft-modded with the Homebrew Channel and USB Loader and play most of my games straight from the hard drive (I still have the original Dvd games though, so I can still play them on my new Wii, although with kids around i'd rather not do this)

I'm looking for a quick and straight forward guide to installing the necessary files back on my Wii console. I already have WBFS MANAGER installed on my laptop, so I don't need any directions regarding that, and still have my WBFS hard drive intact with the games loaded onto it. I simply need straightforward instructions on how to install the Homebrew Channel and subsequently USB Loader. Preferably with liks to the exact files I require, and clear ENGLISH instructions how to install them via the SD card

If anyone could point me in the right direction, then that will be greatly appreciated. (PM if you don't want to post here)

2. theunderling

theunderling Well-Known Member

Theres a point,what happenned to Ace101's Wii tutorial/guide.I thought it was in the Tutorial section.

Anyone any ideas

3. mikeac

mikeac Well-Known Member

I can help, let me type up a guide.
    Post Merge: [time]1270223181[/time]
    http://wehackwii.pbworks.com/USB-Loader (all versions of Wii)
    Not my guide, but here.
    Kinda outdated... Here's a newer one.
    http://www.wiihacks.com/recommended-faqs-guides-tutorials-only/16970-new-3-1-4-1-softmod-any-wii.html (4.1 or lower wii)
    http://www.wiihacks.com/recommended-faqs-guides-tutorials-only/24630-full-hacking-guide-4-2-system-menus.html (4.2 Wii)

4. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

Hey there!

I have a Wii soft-mod info thread.
    Check my signature or profile.

I'm on my DSi XL or else I'd be able to do more. :p

If you need any more help, just let me know. :)
    I'm prety knowledgeable with anything Wii related.

5. theunderling

theunderling Well-Known Member

OK Ace,Ive got the sigs disabled.I knew I seen it somewhere LOL.

6. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

Here's the link to the soft-mod info thread. :)

http://forum.romulation.net/index.php?topic=35411.msg638485

7. Heche

Heche Active Member

These guides are all very helpful and all, but they also seem to be full of lots of needless filling material. From what I remember from the last time I did it, the process was hell of a lot simpler than these guides make it out to be, and it's quite hard to filter out all the unnecessary information to get to what I need. None seem to be as straight forward as I require.

The Wii console I will be soft-modding will be a 4.2e version. Basically a brand new retail model fresh out of the box. I have no interest whatsoever in playing games from a burnt Dvd-r, so that information is automatically redundant (After all, I have the games on a USB hard drive, so why would I want that feature, huh?). I am also sure there's a lot of other sections which can be skipped as well to simplify the proceedure...

It would be nice if someone would create a step-by-step guide, with screenshots and links to the required files, of the process.

8. dragneon007

dragneon007 Well-Known Member

Sadly no ones really made a 100% user noob friendly guide with pictures and step by step as you just mentiond, but maybe adding thoes DVD back ups ect as optional in bold letters ect would make things more simple.. I also think having some links under the weird ass names of some Apps, wads, and files with links to what they are and what they do would simplify things more.

9. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

Like dragneon said, there are no simple guides.
    You'll have to read through and do as it says.

I would suggest using Priiloader like the guide on wiihacks says.
    If you don't and you semi-brick your Wii, then there will be no way of unbricking it without buying a mod-chip.

The process is still the same, but harder to understand?

I understand about 99% of the stuff they say, but thats because I have been soft-modding Wiis for a few months now.
    (I can soft-mod a Wii in under 20 minutes with the essentials ;) )

10. Duncan Idaho

Duncan Idaho Well-Known Member

well ill take this chance to arise a couple of questions, the first is there a WAD magnager comaptible with the wii verson 4.2u?, if its so were and how cna i install it like a normal app, and it works rigth off the bat, im asking this, since i magnaged to acquire a wad of sin and punishment, the one of the VC, and i have it stuck on my comp, i would love to play on my wii before SAP2, any help is appreciated

i have omebrew channel isntalled, but i do2ubt i have parched (if hombrew channel dint do so after being 7+ hours trying to make it work )

11. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

:)

To install a wad, just use wadmanger 1.5. --- http://filetrip.net/f6031-WAD-Manager-1-5.html

Make a folder called wad on the root of your SD Card and put the wad file in there.

Just make sure that it is a good wad or else you may brick your Wii.

12. Duncan Idaho

Duncan Idaho Well-Known Member

pm me a good site to get wads, i got it from xtorrent, xtorrent tells me its from pirate bay, never had problems with their stuffs but im not risking a brick on my wii..., damn it seems im gonna end buying the game, [rant]nintendo next gen make this stuff free[/rant]

13. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

Just follow the guide that's on my Soft-mod information thread.

http://forum.romulation.net/index.php?topic=35411.msg638485

It will tell you how to install Priiloader and many other amazing little trinkets that will allow you to play downloaded games and the such.

14. Heche

Heche Active Member

Ah ha! Now this is more like what I was looking for!

http://lifehacker.com/5518518/how-to-back-up-and-play-your-wii-games-from-an-external-hard-drive

It's clear and simple, and straight to the point without too much filling material. Pictures are also useful rather than confusing. However, as mentioned in the comments section, they did omit the BootMii and Priiloader installations, which are highly recommended.

Perhaps someone here could produce an even simpler guide, which includes all the neccessary steps?

15. dragneon007

I would try to make a simple guide, ehll I would love to make a simple one! but i'm not even good at understaning most of the wii side of hacking... and I still am not 100% sure or remember how the hell I manage to get mine to work.. since the original guide ace gave me was removed.

but if O had wii's left and right I would try to make a insanly easy guide.. sadly I can't even experiment.. because of the riks of bricking.. and I still don't know what the hell a wad is :s butwhy is it so hard for people to make a straight foward guide? I mean i seen TONS of tutorials on really complicated stuff made easy, but i have yet to see a easy tutorial on how to make a wii get from point a to point z, and then just suggest other things that are optional.

16. Heche

Heche Active Member

Having a link to a compressed file containing all the tools required would make things a hell of a lot easier if you ask me. So far i've downloaded eight different files from several locations. Perhaps each file could be numbered in sequence according to the order they're required

I honestly think it would be worthwhile joining together as a community to create a simplistic beginner's 'How to' guide. The Life Hacker site does an excellent job of attempting this, although I still feel that the whole process can be made much more simpler and straightforward (Speaking on behalf of others, not myself). It just needs to be kept to the basics and presented as a simple, clear, step-by-step layout with visual aids with annotations

17. dragneon007

I agree, and not getting ahead of ourselves like other guides do by adding to many things that just seem really cluttered and complicated.

18. Heche

Heche Active Member

I would gladly take the time to write the guide myself, but first I need something to work with. I really need all the information I can get so I can then order it appropriately and simplify it where necessary. It would aid so many people in the long run who may have previously been put off by the long and complicated proceedure - When in fact it's not a long and complicated proceedure, it just looks that way because of the drawn out complicated guides which are currently out there, when in actual fact it would be a piece of cake if it were made step-by-step

PS. I have a new Wii coming tomorrow, so will be experimenting on it, but would really appreciate some more links to guides so I can get cracking

19. Heche

Heche Active Member

I'm wondering whether anyone here (Such as Ace101) would be willing to work with me on an "Idiot's guide" style project? I wish to make this process easier to understand and achievable by almost anyone, and have all the necessary information stored in one place rather than scattered around the internet with no real pointers as to where to start etc...

Basically I want to create a guide that's clean and simple, and gives detailed instructions along the way, including links to necessary files (Ideally all files will be included in one downloadable Zip file), as well as pictures and / or video's of the process (Perhaps someone could create some video's in order to help me understand more easily, and I could reinterpret the process into a written guide?). At the moment, a lot of so called "Guides" are notthing more than a repository of links and signposts to other guides - I want to change this and create a guide which encompasses all this relevant information, rather than just fobbing you off elsewhere in order to figure it out for yourself...

From what I understand, there are four main processes which need to be done correctly in the right order:

1. Pre-mod precautions (Ie, PriiLoader and BootMii)
    2. Homebrew Channel
    3. USB Loader
    4. Various emulators etc

I envision a guide which is more like a recipe cookbook. As with cooking, there are obviously tools which will be required (Hardware as well as the relevant files) and also preparation (Such as WBFS Manager and formatting a hard drive). It would also be nice to include a section explaining about compatible hard drives, and how to prep them - These steps would provide the start of our guide and will be done in preparation, as to not inturrupt the flow of the processes afterwards

The second part of the guide will focus on the precautionary measures to avoid bricking the console. The third section will be all about installing the Homebrew Channel. The fourth section will explain how to install the USB Loader, with the final section describing how to install such things as GameCube emulation and Snes9x GX etc...

It's a huge project, but something I think needs doing and could benefit the Wii community as a whole

20. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

I would be happy to make a guide like that.

But my Wii is already modded as much as it can be. :p
    But I'll do my best.

PM me with details of how you want the guide exactly and I'll do my best. :)

Actually, to make this project a success, please anyone who reads this, PM me with details on what you're looking for in a Wii soft-mod guide.
    I need everything I can get to make it as "noob" friendly as possible. :)