1. This forum is in read-only mode.

How to fix corrupt pokemon saves (HG / SS)

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Cheesewizard, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Cheesewizard

Cheesewizard Well-Known Member

In the future

Please back up you data like "Insanecrazy07 has stated" this is the only future proof way in which to stop your game savs been corrupted and it saves you the hassle of having to follow this guide again.

I recently had the problem of me going to boot up Pokemon SS only to find it instantly loads up a new game
    i spent ages trying to figure out what was wrong. The first thing i thought was that the save file musn't be there. So i turned to my comp to copy my backup save Id backed up just a day before. Nope still doing the same thing. I then though hmm perhaps the save game is spelt differently...... nope that wasn't the case either.

After some hundred hours later i found a post on gbatemp (From another user) who had some of my symptoms but was a different issue. that suggested that the Sav data was corrupt i was like N000000. because id spent roughly around 33 hours in the game.

(the data save data that was backed up on my computer was already corrupt, but i didn't know because when i backed up my data i hadn't played Pokemon since)

Just so you know. having a corrupt Sav file can also corrupt your game

well i went around the web only to find no solutions, all the solutions were start from scratch (as its the only ting you can do)

i said to myself..... N0 there must be another way and, i found it. In fact im not sure if anyone else has found it as this method would also work with (Diamond / Pearl / Platinum)

but yes i have found a way. Its a lengthy process if you want your exact items and what not then your going to have to put in some effort. But getting your Pokemon back Is very easy, with exact stats. Your money is also recovered too. In fact pretty much everything.

So please tell me if your interested in this guide and il write it as soon a possible

Btw you may want to know how to recover you save data just incase this happens to you

Using: DSI

Acekard2i - Akio 1.6 (latest loaders etc)

(it doesn't matter on the flashcard, so you know ^^)

1. You need to download Pokesav from here http://projectpokemon.org/editing/files/Pokesav_HGSS-ENG-Ver.0.03a_PP.org.zip or if you have a smaller screen resolution from here http://projectpokemon.org/editing/files/Pokesav_Compact_HGSS-ENG-v.0.03a_PP.org.zip (there is absolutely no difference between version, i prefer the second link because its smaller)

2. You need to make sure you have your corrupted .Sav file on your computer.

3. Now that you have your corrupted .Sav file (backed up) you need to start a new game and get it to create a clean working Sav.
    (I had an issue where it would Sav in game but not keep the progress. I solved this by. When the game is on the press start bit at the beginning press B - Select + up. This completely removes all traces of data from the game) (This didn't completely make my game work, i also had to download a new Rom. I used the same region as before (U). You can download the Rom from here)

4. Once you got a Sav up and running, pick a different starter (To the one you picked before) and get to the point where you can catch Pokemon. This is just after you choose the name from your rival etc

5. Now if you want to keep that new starter in your original game. follow these steps

1. Catch a wild Pokemon anything, Pidgy even. and put your starter Pokemon in the PC storage box
    2. now the tricky part comes here. you need to put the starter Pokemon in a non occupied box. Because when you put your original
    Pokemon back in the game it will overwrite this Pokemon unless you put it in a space of its own

Eg. corrupt Sav - BOX 1 i have a mew BOX 2 i have a Lugia ( I would need to put the Pokemon in box 3 so it doesn't get overwritten)

Eg. Clean Sav - PC storage (Empty) (just make sure it in a space of its own)

You can check what Pokemon are in your PC box if you open up Pokesav and open you corrupt Sav in it (You can drag your Sav onto it (while its open) if you don't know how to use the open function ^^)

[​IMG]

6. Now that you have a clean working .Sav file in which you can save (Without loosing progress) we can continue with the guide.

7. Copy the clean .Sav file onto the computer (Make sure you know which is the corrupted file and which is not)

8. We are now going to put everything back into our clean Rom. (Depending on how many items you had in your previous game, this process can take a while) (You can choose to not have any of your items, as you can find them all again) (I Choose to have my items and now i have twice as many master balls, because i had one in the previous files too ^^)

9. Open Pokesav and open up you corrupt Sav
    10. Open Pokesav again and open up you clean Sav

[​IMG]

11. Now save all of you Pokemon ( I didn't have many so it didn't take me that long)

Where it lists your party (corrupt version) choose save and save it as your Pokemons name. (This is saving that Pokemons data, so When when we load that in the clean save it should copy the Pokemons data across.

12. Save all you Pokemon, including those in the PC box (saving them all to desktop with make things easier)

13. Now that you've saved all your Pokemon, its time to import them. Go to your Clean Sav and click load. (Make sure you load all your Pokemon in there original places. (So you don't accidentally erase your new starter Pokemon from Step number 5)

Don't forget those in the PC boxes too.

14. Now that you've imported all your Pokemon, you can delete the (PKM) files that stored you Pokemons data, as you no longer need these.

(I ADVISE BEFORE CONTINUING WITH THIS LONG PROCESS, THAT YOU SAVE THIS PROFILE AND LOAD IT UP IN YOUR GAME JUST TO CHECK YOU GOT ALL YOUR POKEMON AND THAT IT WORKS, I DONT WANT YOU TO DO THIS PROCESS TO FIND IT DOESNT WORK AND THEN BLME ME ^^)

15. (BEWARE....... VERY TIME CONSUMING)

Ok now its time to put all our items back into our game

1. View the corrupted Sav and where it says (Bag Edit) then Under neigh Items - Click edit. (It should now list all the items you had in the previous game.

Now you need to add those items to your clean Sav

Do process 1 to your clean Sav

The layout should look like this

[​IMG]

(On your clean Sav, click a space that says none then on the scroll down box under neigh, find the item your wanting)

Eg. I want 1 Everstone in my clean Sav - I click the top empty space because that is where it is on my corrupted file. I then find my item (pressing the E key) will jump me straight to the E section. i then put in the quantity and choose modify.

Do this for every single one of you items. (including all your KEY items, Pokeballs etc)

Pressing ok saves all the items you've chosen

(PLEASE DONT CHEAT AND GIVE YOURSELF 99 MASTERBALLS AS UR ONLY CHEATING YOURSELF AND RUINING A GREAT GAME)

16. Now that you have pretty much everything in place, you just need to put in your correct money and time spent playing the game. (unfortunately if you had your mom saving money for you in game. You cant get that back) - i lost well over 200000 :(

You can change your ID back to your original if you wish. The game will now think that these Pokemon were obtained in a trade so they get bonus EXP when battling :)

now go to save as and save it as what ever you want. (Keep a backup of your original clean Sav)

Don't forget tho that in order for the game to read the Sav file you need to name it the exact name of you Pokemon game

Eg. Pokemon game - Pokemon SS.Nds
    Sav file - Pokemon SS.Sav

I cant make this any more clearer so if you have any questions please ask.

Thank you for reading and please keep this topic alive, if you've noticed any mistakes or have had any other problems please tell me ^^

Restoring your Gym Badges

In order to restore your gym badges, you need to use a Homebrew app. in fact its pretty much Pokesav but on the DS. You can edit everything on the go http://www.csdgn.org/files/psds/PPSEDS_r10.7z

I used this to restore my 15 badges. I recommend battling all the gyms again though for the TMs and EXP. The restoring badges method messes certain event up later on in the game. And you have to use the walk through walks code in order to get past it

This error occurred when trying to battle the 16th gym, he said i had no badges when i in fact had 15 and i had to use walk through walls to get into his gym.

But that's it (Elite 4 and things work fine though)

To view how to use this Homebrew app visit this website - http://projectpokemon.org/editing/ppseds.php

Please back up you data like "Insanecrazy07 has stated" this is the only future proof way in which to stop your game savs been corrupted and it saves you the hassle of having to follow this guide again.

2. klaimore

klaimore Well-Known Member

I never had a corrupt file but Okay.

3. Cheesewizard

Btw will i also be able to post links here or what. There nothing illegal. its just you will need some tools?

4. omgwtfitzben

omgwtfitzben Well-Known Member

I already deleted my corrupt file, but will this prevent the corrupt games in the future? Or will this just fixed corrupted save files. I have a DSTT, and it's been happening with me on HG, I beat the Pokemon League, and it reset automatically. It started a new game, I was quite mad. So post the guide please.

5. Cheesewizard

this will fix corrupted sav files. the lenghy process it putting back all your items that you had. everything else is rather quick. Ive only had a corrupt file once. but man it annoyed me so much that i spent 2 days searching for an answer. only to get me no were. (make sure you dont delete corrupt save files, as you need them for this guide )

6. omgwtfitzben

omgwtfitzben Well-Known Member

Oh, so you're saying every time you turn off/reset your DS you're going to have to do this process with the saved game? There is no way to just fix it so it treats it like a normal game? I already deleted the file but I wanted to play it through again.

7. Cheesewizard

no once youve done this, you will have a fully working sav with all your origional pokemon etc. your basically putting the corrupt pokemon data into a working sav

working sav - no pokemon
    Corrupt sav - all pokemon

Merge them together and you get - working save - all pokemon

you injecting your data into a different sav

but if you know how to fix it then next time it happens you can just go about fixing it without loosing where you were.

Because of the nature in which the sav is injected. certain parts of the game may need to be redone. like:

Elite 4

The begining bit, choosing pokemon etc. ( if you choose a different starter pokemon, and put it in your pc. then when you get all ur original pokemon back youl have the extra starter pokemon)

Certain in game events may need to be done. i chose to do some of mine

You will need to revisit every pokemon centre in order to fly there again.

thats it really

now you can save and youl have all your data. when you switch the game back on. you can click continue like normal.

8. ASuch

ASuch Well-Known Member

How do you merge them? I have the two files, but I don't know how to merge them.

9. Deviluchiha

Deviluchiha Active Member

now thats interesting, cus that happend to me recently, i was trying to catch ho-oh without the master ball
    and i had to turn off my game really fast cus i was making alot of noises, (ARGHHHH, DANGGGGG) stuff like that XD, but yeah im interested in this guide that ur making, cus i want my pokemon again T.T

10. Cheesewizard

ok il write a guide. i will start it now. and il try to make it as detailed as possible.

try to keep this topic active so that lots of people may be able to use this guide in the future. hm, wel shall i start a new topic for the guide or just edit my first post and add it on the end?

11. saddamsdevil

saddamsdevil Well-Known Member

Just edit the first post. I am rather curious :)

12. Cheesewizard

there we are everyone. guide is up ^^. took me absolutely ages

13. benny95

benny95 Active Member

does anyone know how to fix a corrupted folder without deleting everything inside cause when i try to accs my "game" folder on my computer for my r4, it does not allow me cause its corrupted so i cant get the sav file.

also while on my ds it freezez when i scroll on pokemon HG, so i cant delete like that.

14. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

The best way to avoid corrupted saves is to avoid them in the first place, by making a "system restore" like archive of every time you save. When you get a corrupted save, just load up the one that you saved before it, and there ya go.

15. Cheesewizard

you lose a lil bit of progress tho. and for an rpg thats major. but corrupt files are rare so this guide is meant as a one of kinda thing
    Post Merge: [time]1271919236[/time]
    boot ur computer in safe mode, or use a program to open it like i dunno a unblocker program

16. insanecrazy07

The difference between my saves are less than the stupid 10 or so minutes of not saving with the antipiracy...

I've gotten the corrupt save several times but the game seems to always load my previous save so I don't really lose any progress at all.

17. Cheesewizard

yes i understand what your saying, but this guide is for people who do0nt have that option or in my case the game loaded up then instantly selected new game. i had no choice to revert to my last save.

18. insanecrazy07

The life lesson here is to always make a backup of your save so that you don't have to go through the excruciating pain of "recreating" your entire save file from scratch...Even if you do get this all seemingly perfect, you're missing out on the "events" within the game, especially the abundant ones found within the first 2 gym badges or so.

Also, when you pokesav your pokemon back in, they do not count in your new pokedex. They're only counted if you evolve, catch, or trade for one.

Also, you can shortcut the whole Storage thing by saving the entire box, and then loading the entire box data into the new save.

What I'm most concerned about is the unintended consequences of giving yourself the gym badges, because it may not trip all of the switches that basically tell the game that you already did this sequence of events. For example, you might have 7 badges, but it didn't trip the Sudowoodo switch, or the Slowpoke Well, or any other event along the way. Since these are untripped, but you have the 7th badge, you might cause an exception or an error, which I'd rather just start a new save completely, save the pokemon from the other save, change the IDs to match the criteria of the second save, and then rush through to roughly the same spot that your first save ended.

You could go through all of that...or just periodically make a copy of your save, put it in a folder and number them. Like mine, I have 4748 - Pokemon HeartGold (U).sav as my current one, and 4748 - Pokemon HeartGold (U)(1).sav as my very first save file, basically just starting the game and saving. Then I have 4748 - Pokemon HeartGold (U)(2).sav, then Pokemon HeartGold (U)(3).sav........then Pokemon HeartGold (U)(n).sav. Before I copy over the new 4748 - Pokemon HeartGold (U).sav, I take the older file with the same name, add the next number in the sequence and then copy over the new 4748 - Pokemon HeartGold (U).sav.

19. Cheesewizard

i forgot about it not counting in your pokedex. but with the untripping events thing, it doesnt brake the game because if you trip the last event or whatever. it thinks youve done the events before and cancels them. the only event in which i couldnt get to work is picking up the hm surf from that guy. but i can always pokesav it back into my game. Also if people have already corrupted there sav and they havent backed up then your method wont work. As stated above i backed up (i back up my savs periodically) but that backup was corrupted so it was nothing. oh yeah another event:

if you put in your gym badges. using pokesav. when you go to speak to the guy on cinibar island (blue i think) he says youve got 0 gym badges. but you can get around this by using walk through walls code and then walk into his gym.

yes i do agree with you though that backing up is the better way to avoid loosing data. But corrupt savs are fairly rare so using this guide once just saves the hassle of going through the game again

for me if i lose my data on an rpg (i will probably never play the game again) - because i just cant get back into it
    Post Merge: [time]1271964997[/time]
    btw, because youve already got the items like Squirltebottle (for sudowoodo) - because you imported your old items into the game. the game thinks youve done this event already and doesnt make it happen. because if youve got the item and you talk to the girl in the flower shop (she treats you as though shes just given it to you) and even if you receive another vs recorder. it doesnt matter because it doesnt give you duplicate key items in game. The girl will just give you it as normal. but it wont effect anything in game because youve already got it.

20. insanecrazy07

The only way you can screw up my way of doing it is if you don't do it at all...or simply overwrite your most recent backed up save with your current one, which is unwise as you found out the hard way. If you had made several backups, like I suggested, you could just go back one more save file and find if that one is also corrupt, then go back another one until you find one that works. It's the "System Restore" method, which is probably the one "Windows feature" that I like to use as a concept because it actually works when you do it, unlike the real System Restore, that no matter how far back you go, you still have the files you had most recently...If it truly made a snapshot of your system, any files newer than the restore date would not exist, but here we go with more recent files than the snapshot...fail...

If you find that even the very first save (from when you started your adventure) doesn't work, then I'd say it would be something wrong with your system, not the save. I usually get the corrupted save issue quite a bit because I'm impatient and end up shutting off the system before it fully saves, even though it says I have saved the game, but luckily the game takes my last known good save and reloads that. I don't know why yours doesn't do that. It's a feature in the ROM itself, not my doing.

If you don't bother to make an archive of all your saves, I guess that's purely your fault, and you run the risk of losing all of the data. Your method sorta works, but requires cheats to fix the broken parts...I'd rather just pokesav my original pokemon over, change the ID to match so I don't get boosted exp and disobey issues, and fly through the main part of the game tripping all of the switches correctly so I don't run into issues like that you just encountered. Really, using a high level pokemon, with 100% catch rate on, you can fly through the game in less than 6 hours. I flew through doing just a speed run and finished under 11 hours, but that was with severely underleveled pokes.