1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Tutorial: Uploading songs into Daigasso! Band Brothers

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by eden2812, Dec 5, 2007.

1. eden2812

eden2812 Well-Known Member

Alright ;D I really wanted to do one since some time now, but I never found the time. Since I'm totally free as of now until I start college, heck, why not now?

As the title suggests, this is a tutorial for the music/rhythm game, Daigasso! Band Brothers (No. 0036), which actually allows you to create, play and share your own custom music. Yup, its time to flex those fingers, Beethoven.

Only released in Japan so far, I found this game amazingly fun and challenging, and not knowing Japanese didn't hamper me at all while navigating through the simple menus. Spawning a huge community of wannabe musicians, the players creativity was put to the test. Whats not to love about that?

Index*

i. Requirements
    ii. Step-by-step guide
    iii. Resources
    iv. Credit
    v. Random trivia

*simple enough 'eh?

i. Requirements

I'll cut most of the fat and just write the gist of it.

Of course, you need the game. A ROM or an original doesn't matter. For my love this website and its community, I've upped a ROM. Get it here.

Now, grab something to transfer your save data. If you're using the original cartridge, get your Action Replay, etc. If you're using a ROM, take your your memory medium (SD card, CF, etc) and get a card reader.

Now that we're gotten down with the physical aspect of this, its time to move on to the virtual aspect. Eh, bad phrasing?

Credit goes to the original creator. Get the save editor from here (its the one titled "bbstool-win32-0.3.zip"). And if for some reason, you have no clue as to how to handle .rar files, check out Winterreise's "Winrar (.rar) Tutorial" here or Almo's "Fool-Proog .RAR Tutorial here

Finally, you need special Daigasso! Band Brothers music files. They can be found in the "Resources" part of this tutorial.

ii. Step-by-step guide

1. Get your save file! Extract it from your DS or your memory card and put it somewhere easily accessible, for example, your desktop, like so:

[​IMG]

2. Unzip the save editor from its clammy .rar shell. You should now have something like this:

[​IMG]

3. Run the one named "bbstool.exe". Now this should open up:

[​IMG]

4. From the top, select "file --> open" and then your choice of an M3 dump, Action Max Replay or a typical save dump (like the one I've shown). If you ever need to convert your save, use Shuny's Save Game Converter.

5. Choose your medium of fancy, then find that save file, and open it using the save tool, like so (in step 4), and get something like this:

[​IMG]

6. You now have a choice of configuring your GAME data. You can get save files from the aforementioned sourceforge link. Since MUSIC importing is the order of the day, let us continue. By clicking on any of those "(Empty or invalid)" spaces, options for importing/exporting and rearranging lights up.

7. I'm gonna assume you were impatient or prepared, and you already have a music file/skipped all the way down to the bottom to get some music files. Click those "(empty or invalid)" spaces of your choice and select "import". You are now prompted to find ".bbs" files. Alright, those are the music files. Find them in your PC and import them. The file should now appear in the save tool, like so:

[​IMG]

8. And well... Thats it! Its done! You can import how many you like, but to a limit of only 8 songs per save file. Once you finish up, select "file --> save/save as" and you're done! You have officially imported custom music into your Daigasso! Band Brothers game! All thats left is to put it back into your DS! When you turn your Daigasso! Band Brothers on, you should see the song at the bottom of the list. Well done!

*Note: Sometimes, the save doesn't appear. Strange, but it happens to me. To get over this, let your flashcart "update" itself. How so you ask?
    While you are configuring the save data, plop back the SD card, etc back into your DS. The <insert fancy technological term here> should note that the Daigasso! Band Brothers save file is gone. But for goodness sake, don't turn on the game! If you do, fear not. Just open your card through the computer and delete the save file thats in it. Once done, repeat the above step (about putting the ROM back in without a save file). Finally, when you are really done, put back the edited save file into the DS. Voila.

iii. Resources

The Daigasso! Band Brothers save editor's website (you can get some music files here), http://zigg.com/code/dbbsed/

The Sourcefourge project summary (where you can also download the save editor and a couple of unlocking save files), http://sourceforge.net/projects/dbbsed/

Websites for music data (read more at the save editor's website), http://gbm.yh.land.to/edit.htm , http://www.maid.gr.jp/jubai/bandbrothers/bb_bbs/c-board.cgi and http://www6.plala.or.jp/maximus/music/bb.html

iv. Credit

Full credit goes to Matt, the save editor's creator, the ROM dumper team behind this game, those amazing Japanese musical maestros, and Shuny for giving the world a super save game converter.

I wont say all right reserved and all that crap. I'm sure other people out there have done this before. I'm just gonna say don't rip me off. Ask for permission or give some credit to me. This took a lot of time to do.

P/s: Like this tutorial? Drop me a PM. This might be the incentive for me to write more in the future ;)

v. Random trivia

Did you know... Babara the Bat, who runs the music store in Daigasso! Band Brothers, also runs a magic shop in Masters of Illusion?

2. conjy

conjy Well-Known Member

Great tutorial, thou it should probably go into the "tutorial" section.

3. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

he can't post in there. Moved