1. This forum is in read-only mode.

[TUTORIAL] Playing PS1 backups with Swapmagic, Ule and MSP Mod on 9000x PS2s

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by personuser, Sep 24, 2010.

1. personuser

personuser Well-Known Member

Hi, everyone! I've been using this method for a while, but I don;t know if everybody's heard of it, so here-a we go!

I can only confirm that this works on SPCH-9000x "super slim" PS2 models. Many other models perform an extra AP check after the PS1 boot screen, 9000x does not.

Things you will need:

Swap Magic 3.6 or 3.8 (I recommend the DVD version as the CD version will stop working after a while on a 9000x)
    Magic Switch Pro v4 (probably already installed, have tool a in a position in which you can remove and insert it at will)
    A usb drive (used to start Ulaunchelf)
    Ulaunchelf - http://psx-scene.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=17135&d=1276376381
    A real PS1 game that has a big TOC (table of contents) I suggest a Final Fantasy or A Demo Disc.
    A burned PS1 game. I suggest using IMGburn and writing at 8x, which 9000xs can EASILY handle.
    Instructions:

Setup

1. Download ulaunchelf, and copy all of the folder's contents into a folder on the root of your usb drive (yes, it's case sensitive) SWAPMAGIC.
    2. rename BOOT.elf (Ule's default name) to SWAPMAGIC.elf.
    3. Remove your USB stick from your PC and insert it into the ps2
    4. Insert your swapmagic DVD into the PS2

Process

1. Start your ps2 and then Swap Magic. With your USB drive in it, Swap Magic should automatically load Ulaunchelf.
    2. Once Ulaunchelf is loaded it will give you a few options. Hit select to configure it and turn disc control ON.
    3. Exit the configuration menu and your configuration will be saved. On the main screen you will see "STOP DISC=PS2 DVD"
    4. Remove your swap magic disc and insert your large PS1 original game. Keep the disc cover open.
    5. (here's the first tricky part) Your tool A is most likely taped into your PS2. Lift the tape (and mod) and put it back in. Then close the lid. Your PS2 should make some noises and the disc will start and then stop spinning. "STOP DISC=PSX CD or PSX CDDA" based on if you put in a demo disc (CDDA) or normal game (CD).
    6. Now, open the lid, remove your PS1 original disc and insert your copy WITHOUT lifting the sensor mod. Now it will not do anything. THIS IS GOOD. Close the lid.
    7. Hit O to go to the filebrowser (this is the default). You should see a lot of devices like CDFS (CD or DVD) MC0, MC1 (Memory Cards) and MASS (USB Drive) Go to the last device, MISC, and hit O. There will be a few commands to choose from. Select PS2DISC (yes, PS2DISC and hit O once more.

wait a few secs...

..and there's our friend the PS1 logo. From here you're in the clear, you can play the backup as if it were an original. The only games that will not work are the ones that Sony lists as incompatible (like tomba) or games that require switching CDs (like Vib-Ribbon)

You can eventually configure PS2disc to a button for quick ps1 launching, but doing this works well too. Also, you may be replacing the tape on your Tool A from time-to time with inserting and removing, that's normal.

Enjoy the ps1 games! If you've got any issues starting them then reply and I'll try to help ya out.

2. dedboy

dedboy Guest

This really should be in tutorials man. It's good too.

3. personuser

personuser Well-Known Member

Loonylion has a sticky in the tutorials section that says to put it in the General Discussion thread and PM him to move it to tutorials. That's what I did.

4. dedboy

dedboy Guest

Gotcha chief.

That he does. I'm sure it will get moved, as it's a top notch tutorial. Well written and accurately described.

Hell if I can understand it, anyone can