1. This forum is in read-only mode.

How to edit text in Pokémon Black and White

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Rykin122, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Rykin122

Rykin122 Guest

Welcome! Read this before you start:

I know some of you want to make a translation of Pokemon Black and White.
    I'll be telling you how to edit the text in Pokemon Black and White.
    Please read all of it, and don't turn a step down, because everything is necessary.
    You can just read one section at the same time, if you like. Makes it easier.

Also, please note that translations can be done by either translating the japanse or use a translator online.

Good luck translating!

Tutorial:

First of all, you gonna need a download located at the "Links" section.
    This section is located way below. The next list, lists what you need:

- NitroExplorer 2B
    - PPTXT.exe
    - PPTXT.dll

Second of all, extract the one folder inside the ZIP file onto your Desktop.
    You may choose an other location for that folder if you want to.

Third of all, open the Pokémon Black or White ROM with the NitroExplorer 2B program.
    Example: If your ROM has the name "Pokemon - Black.nds", open "Pokemon - Black.nds" with NitroExplorer.
    Then head to the following locations, and then click on them to select them:

[​IMG]

Then you want to click the "Extract" button at the top of the program.
    A screen will pop up where to save the file.
    Save the "2" file to "PPTXT / Main" folder and the "3" file to "PPTXT / Story" folder.

Then you want to go to that two folders. Rename both files to: "2.narc" and "3.narc".
    So what you basicly want to do is put ".narc" behind your desired name.
    What you should have now is:

PPTXT / Main / "2.narc"
    PPTXT / Story / "3.narc"

Okay now that's done, let's do the extracting and importing. Check if you've done everything as descriped.

Fourth of all, you want to do, is try to open "PPTXT.exe".
    If it says that it misses DLL's, just check if the DLL's are in the same folder as "PPTXT.exe".
    If not, post a reaction here. But let's continue...

When you've opened "PPTXT.exe", click "File > Open Narc".
    Then browse to the following locations:

Main:
    PPTXT / Main and double-click "2.narc".

Story:
    PPTXT / Story and double-click "3.narc".

When that happend successfully, you can continue on. If not, try again.

When you've opened your desired NARC file, you go to: "File > Export all to files" and click it.
    You will be asked to where you want to save your files. It is the same folder as your NARC is in.
    Go to the folder where your narc is and press "Choose". This is why you want two folders in it,
    they are called "0000" and "0001". In the "0000" folder, the normal Japanese text pops up after extracting.
    But in the "0001" there will be a special version of Japanese, called "Kanji", this is the other Japanese alphabet.
    Anyways, when that is done, you can continue to the next step.

At this stage, you can translate the ".txt" files. This is the translating.
    They're located at the same folder your narc is in. Remember to translate the "0000" folder.

Fifth of all, (here comes the tricky part) is importing all the files into the narc.
    Read this carefully and do every step. Or it WON'T work.
    NEW!
    You can also look at the pictures in the spoiler below.
    These are the steps you want to take:

1. Make sure to save all work into the ".txt" files.
    2. Open "PPTXT.exe".
    3. Click "File > Open Narc" and open your desired narc.
    4. Click "File > Import all from files"
    5. Go to the folder belonging to your narc file. (PPTXT / "Main" or "Story")
    6. When in that folder, click "Choose".
    7. Wait for the import to be done. ("Story" takes a long time to import.)
    8. When all is imported (read note below), click "File > Write to narc".
    Note: There will be an error with the "Main" narc. It will say that the 25Th didn't import. That's normal.
    9. Open NitroExplorer, and open your ROM.
    10. Click to select the narc file you want to replace and click on "Reinsert".
    11. Everything should be translated what you've translated now :)

Step 2:
    [​IMG]

Step 3:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Step 4:
    [​IMG]

Step 5 + 6:
    [​IMG]

Step 7:
    [​IMG]

Step 8:
    [​IMG]

Step 9:
    [​IMG]

Step 10:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Step 11:
    [​IMG]

All pictures are uploaded with ImageShack.us

Downloads and other information:

Download:
    The download of all the files located in their folder they should belong and all HERE! [4,05 MB]

Terms:
    There are few terms used in this tutorial which needs explanation:

"Main (2)" => Battle options, menus, items, moves, in-battle text, etc.
    "Story (3)" => Story dialogue, PC menus, Pokécenter, Pokémart, etc.
    ".narc" => File extension used for Nintendo DS ROM (internal) files.[/size][/color]

Download status: Should be up and running :)

Last updated with:
    - A picture explaining the "Highlight" part better.
    - "Highlight" changed into "Click to select".
    - A few terms explained (at the top).
    - Put the narc number behind the "Terms explained" section.
    - Added an additional note.
    - Edited the 2nd step.
    - Uploaded pictures for the 4th section.
    - Fixed the pictures in the 4th section.
    - Made all steps in seperate spoilers to clear them up.

2. sajon123

sajon123 Well-Known Member

how do you translation. you go on google translationer

3. DSCandyX528

DSCandyX528 Member

cool tutorial

4. klaimore

klaimore Well-Known Member

Coolies.

5. Rykin122

Rykin122 Guest

Anyone having problems? I mean... At all?
    Wow, I did post it correctly then :p

You can do anything you want.
    You can even make your own story and language you want!
    But Goog Translate isn't that good if it comes to translating...

6. sajon123

so how can i translation the story maybe get good and help you translation.

7. Rykin122

Rykin122 Guest

The story translation file is 3 (located at: Root / a / 0 / 0)
    You just open that one with PPTXT and you can translate :)

Also, I'm NOT making a translation patch since I am helping the "Pokemon Black and White Translation Project" already.
    But, if the USA version will have Anti-Piracy again which is hard to crack, and maybe even harder this time,
    I will think of making a USA text to JAP rom patch again.

8. sajon123

what do you use to translation the text

9. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

Rykin122,

I've trying to use your tutorial as guidance to learn how to translate roms. I'm especially confuse to which one that you meant by:

Then head to the following locations:

Main: Root / a / 0 / 0 and highlight "2".
    Story: Root / a / 0 / 0 and highlight "3".

I don't understand the above. It look simple but I can't locate it, I understand you meant was go to "a" folder, open "0" folder , then another "0" folder, etc. The reason I am confuse is because as I illustrate below, I don't know which "2" and "3" you are referring to. Can you please elaborate further? Sorry I am really an amature in this. I wish to learn about this rom translation skills.

My question is which ones do I need to translate. The ones below I marked in red, or those in blue, or the ones in green? Cause like I said I am confuse which "2" and "3" you are refering to, and that also mean I am confuse with which one is STORY and which is MAIN? Thank you for taking the time to assist. I hope you are patient enought to teach amatures.
    ---------------------------
    Here's what I see after loading the ROM using Nitro Explorer 2B (I'm using the PKM White Official V3 English Patched version):
    - Root (PKM White OfficialV3.nds)
    -gifl_font.dat
    -skb.narc
    -soundstatus.narc
    -titledemo.narc
    -wb_sound_data.sdat
    -a
    +0

+1
    +2
    +3
    +4
    +5
    +6
    +7
    +8
    +9
    +1
    +2
    +dl_rom
    +dwc

** Some of the files I marked in green color after I changed to .narc can't be read using the PPTXT.EXE and kept causing a dialog box saying it cause an error. Example is the a-0-0-0-1, a-0-0-0-2, a-0-0-0-4, and a-0-0-0-5. **

10. sajon123

you get the green one you highlight it number 2 and 3 only
    2 is main
    3 is story
    [​IMG]

11. Prectorian

Thanks for the answer. I think I am now able to do the translation. Though there is still 1 thing on this Pokemon Translating that still bothers me. I see the original Japanese text are short, and if its translated into English it could be 2-3x longer in sentence length. Is there a limitation to how long the sentence in order to fit the dialog bubble?

Another thing I want to ask is about another type of rom translation, it involve translating Dragon Quest VI: Maboroshi no Daichi. I can see the files using PPTXT.EXE and the same result also shows when using DSLazy.EXE. But the file extension that show up was identified to belong to an APPLE II PC. I think its a programmers only PC not some commercial version, unless an Apple Mac can read the same extension?! Well I can't be sure because I do not own any Apple based computer, only got Windows based.

I've identified at least 3 types of extension that might contain the texts needed to be translated in order to turn the JPN game into US/EU. They are: '.mpt', '.tex, and '.dat'. I know .dat is common but this version can't be read using TTDT.EXE. I am also suspecting another type of extension that might also contain the texts which is '.pack'. But I am almost 100% sure the first 3 extensions are the primary key to get it done.

My question is, would you or any one happen to know about what program I should try for Windows based computer? I found a blog in Japanese saying about a 'DQ6Set.zip'. I downloaded it and it contain 2 files 'DQ6mes.exe' and 'DQ6monst.exe', but each time I run it or drag a DQ6 rom, it did not work. If you wish to see the blog, the link is: http://blog.goo.ne.jp/imaha486/e/90e5335136397b6f9c396c07c37f4c7a

If you have any relyable input for me to possibly do the translation or maybe there's already a translation patch for the NDS version. I would very much appreciate it. I know there's already a Super Femicon translation patch for the older DQ6:MnD. Thank you.

12. fclinux001

fclinux001 Well-Known Member

Can someone upload the archive again in 2mb parts? Or just pptxt program and stuff it needs in an under 3mb file? I only have downloads with my phone for a while and I can only download 3mb and below files.

Many thanks.

13. wtnow

wtnow Active Member

i just get this in each txt file:
    しゅうまつは でんしゃを みようと\xfffeおおぜいのひとが やってくるよ
    しゅうまつに なるとよ\xfffe\xf000ĉ\x0001\x0000を あつめている\xf000븀\x0000ひとが くるんじゃよ\xf000븁\x0000なにか べつの どうぐと\xfffeこうかん してくれるそうな\xf000븁\x0000

14. Prectorian

That's the original text inside the rom.
    Then all you need to do is translate those Hiragana/Katakana sentences into the language you want. Do not delete or modify the HEX CODES next to the Japanese sentences. If you do that, it will cause an error. Click SAVE after you translate each file, then follow the step from Rykin122 about how to reinsert your translation back into the rom. If you bump into problem....well...sorry I can't help...I'm also new to this translation project. :p

15. wtnow

wtnow Active Member

^^^^^^
    Ah, Thank you!

16. Rykin122

Rykin122 Guest

Updated a lot of the thread with your information.
    Also added and deleted some things on it.

I'll be uploading pictures and stuff now to make it more clearer :)

17. Prectorian

Rykin122,

Thanks for the Pokemon translation program. Was very useful and easy to operate.
    Do you by chance know what program to use if I want to try translate DQ VI: Moboroshi no Daichi NDS? I'm using Windows. Appreciate if you could shed some light. Thanks.

18. Rykin122

Rykin122 Guest

I am sorry, but no.
    I can't make my awnser any longer, it's just no...
    Sorry :(

19. mikeac

mikeac Well-Known Member

Thanks. .narc is sort for Nintendo ARChive correct?

20. adamgm10

adamgm10 New Member

Cool tut!

Hey guys what translator do you suggest cause Google is crappy when it comes to translating.