1. This forum is in read-only mode.

"Migrating" Pokémon HGSS to B/W with Pokesav and Pokegen

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by insanecrazy07, Mar 15, 2011.

1. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

This is a mini-tutorial. Feel free to send it to the Tutorial section if necessary.

First, load up either Pokesav for B/W, or Pokegen.
    Load up your B/W save.

You should have all of your HGSS or DPPt Pokemon saved in .PKM files. If not, take the time to do this. There is no other way to do this easily.
    LABEL YOUR PKM FILES WITH THE NAME OF THE POKEMON, AND NATURE. YOU WILL NEED TO KNOW THE NATURE AND OT (NAME) TO BE ABLE TO CORRECTLY DO THIS.

For both processes, these criteria are global besides the two events that are needed for B/W, Celebi and any of the three legendary dogs.
    These apply to Wild Pokémon Gen IV, Wild Pokémon Gen III, Chained Shinies, in-game event Pokémon (ex. Mewtwo), Lake of Rage Gyarados, and Mystery Gift Pokémon with the exception of two events (and by that I mean, the three legendary dogs are treated as one event).

Pokesav:
    Met in Place (for Pokémon not named GAMESTP CELEBI or the Crown Dogs) must be 30001
    41h value must conform to its Nature (Pokesav automatically fills this in when changed to proper Nature)
    It will change your Nature to Hardy (00). Always take note of its Nature so it can be corrected.
    85h value must conform to how it was caught, unless otherwise specified. This can usually be left alone.
    Met level should be current level.
    Date Met should be the day you "Pokétransferred" it (Today)
    Egg must be unticked.
    Name of Pokémon must be in all CAPS.
    OT must be corrected.

Pokegen:
    Met in Place (for Pokémon not named GAMESTP CELEBI or the Crown Dogs) must be (Pokétransfer)
    It will change your Nature to Hardy. Always take note of its Nature so it can be corrected.
    Encounter: must conform to how it was caught, unless otherwise specified. Usually, you can leave this alone.
    Met level must be current level
    Date Met should be the day you "Pokétransferred" it (Today)
    If originally was an Egg, "As Egg" must be unchecked
    Name of Pokémon needs to be edited via Pokesav, unless you want to deal with escape sequences like /FFFF/FFFF/0000/0000/FFFF
    OT must be edited to it's correct value.
    Code:
    85h Values

00 - Egg/Pal Park/Event/Honey Tree/Shaymin (D/P/Pt)
    02 - Tall Grass/Darkrai (D/P/Pt)
    04 - Dialga/Palkia (D/P/Pt)
    05 - Cave/Hall of Origin/Giratina (D/P/Pt)
    07 - Caught in the Water (D/P/Pt)
    09 - Caught in Buildings (D/P/Pt)
    17 - Distortion World (Giratina) (Pt)
    18 - Starter Pokemon/Bebe's Eevee/Fossil Pokemon (Pt)
    0A - Great Marsh/Safari Zone (D/P/Pt)
    0C - Starter Pokemon/Fossil Pokemon (D/P)

Special Cases: (Will add as more events are discovered) All previous criteria still applies, with the exception of these specifiers.

GAMESTP Celebi (or any Celebi that triggers the event in HGSS and B/W)
    Met in Place must be: 30010 (Pokesav) or (Celebi pre-event) (Pokegen)
    I'm guessing 30011 is (Celebi post-event)

Crown Dogs (Shiny Entei, Suicune, Raikou)
    Met in Place must be: 30012 (12 stands for pre-event) or (Entei/Raikou/Suicune pre-event) (Pokegen)
    I'm guessing 30013 is (Entei/Raikou/Suicune post-event)

All other Mystery Gifts seem to conform to the standard 30001

Bred Pokemon (Gen IV)
    Pokesav:
    Met in Place 30001 -----
    Date Met: Day that it is Pokétransferred
    Egg Hatched at: 2000 -----
    Date Egg Received: Day Egg was hatched in Gen IV

Pokegen:
    Met Level is current level
    Date: Day Egg was hatched
    Encounter: Egg/Pal Park/Event/Honey tree/Shaymin
    As Egg is checked
    Game: Black/White
    Date: Day that is was "Pokétransferred"

New Method: CAUTION!
    Be sure to back up your save before executing. Save data may be irreparable if not done correctly.
    This method uses only Pokegen.
    1. Save all Pokémon that are to be "migrated" in .PKM files.
    2. DO NOT load your B/W save unless you want odd changes to occur.
    3. Load Pokegen without your .sav file.
    4. Change the Target game to DPPt, or HGSS
    5. Load the .PKM files into the boxes.
    6. Change the Target game to B/W.
    7. Follow all of the same steps in previous instructions to correct the data. This method excludes the Nature correction step, and part of the name correction, which is the whole point of doing this.
    8. Once all of the information is corrected, save these .PKM files into a new section that has only B/W compatible .PKM files.
    9. You will need to change the nickname with escape sequences, for example, if a name does not have 10 characters, an escape sequence will need to be added. ARCEUS has 6 characters, therefore will need 5 escape sequences. ARCEUS will be changed to ARCEUS\FFFF\FFFF\0000\0000\FFFF. It always begins with \FFFF and sometimes ends with \FFFF. Sometimes it will have \FFFF as its second sequence.
    10. Exit Pokegen and execute Pokegen again. This allows for a fresh start and won't lock your Natures and won't do any odd functions to your save that was leftover from the DPPt or HGSS conversion.
    11. Load your newly saved .PKM files into your B/W save.

Sub Section: Dealing with Escape sequences:
    Since the escape sequences are not completely figured out, what you can do instead is go to the Name Rater in Castelia and revert its nickname back to the original name. This will only work if the Pokémon has the same game information as the game that you're using (you can easily do this in Pokegen, just be sure to remember the original data so you can revert that back). You'll run into issues if you are using a Japanese Pokémon or any Pokémon not named with an English name.

Code:
    For English Pokemon:

Ditto (5 characters): Ditto\FFFF\FFFF\0000\0000\0000\0000
    ARCEUS (6 characters): ARCEUS\FFFF\FFFF\0000\0000\FFFF
    Woobat (6 characters): Woobat\FFFF\0000\0000\0000\FFFF
    Gliscor (7 characters): Gliscor\FFFF\FFFF\FFFF\0000
    Lucario (7 characters): Lucario\FFFF\0000\0000\FFFF
    Ampharos (8 characters): Ampharos\FFFF\0000\FFFF
    Alakazam (8 characters): Alakazam\FFFF\FFFF\FFFF
    Cobalion (8 characters): Cobalion\FFFF\0000\FFFF
    Virizion (8 characters): Virizion\FFFF\0000\FFFF
    Rhyperior (9 characters): Rhyperior\FFFF\FFFF
    Bouffalant (10 characters): Bouffalant
    Electivire (10 characters): ELECTIVIRE

Code:
    For Japanese Pokémon, use the following escape sequences:
    4 katakana (ex. Espeon エーフィ)
    エーフィ\FFFFken\FFFF\FFFF\0000

5 katakana (ex. Dragonite カイリュー)
    カイリュー\FFFFken\FFFF\FFFF

To get the Japanese characters, copy/paste them directly from their respective bulbapedia pages.
    They'll look like square boxes in Pokegen without the Japanese language installed on your OS.

This method also works for B/W 2 and can be directly substituted for B/W seeing that none of the data actually changes. Obviously none of the new B/W 2 regions, moves, forms are valid/legal in B/W. The escape sequences seem to have changed slightly for Japanese Pokémon, but that is about it for B/W 2.

2. Devilkid32176

Devilkid32176 Well-Known Member

Re: "Migrating" Pokemon HGSS to B/W With Pokesav and Pokegen.

very good guide insane ^__^

should keep most of the people sated for their pokemon from the Gen IV games now :D

i can state that it does work, just follow the steps here, since i have tested this and works fine for me

d-- ^_^ --b
    i give it two thumbs up

3. M.AzaryPika3172

M.AzaryPika3172 Well-Known Member

Good Job Man! More 2 thumb up!

[​IMG]

4. Xalfrea

Xalfrea Well-Known Member

I don't get it, since i never heard of Pokesav or Pokegen. How is this supposed to work in the transferal of all our Gen IV?

And I'm using a original Pokemon Black. How is this supposed to work?

5. afullo

afullo New Member

New games, good news. 8)

I just tried the "Pokegen only" technique with Black 2 (and the new Pokegen version which supports it) and it seems to work fine, even if I failed to got some side data handled correctly (e.g., transfering a Mewtwo captured in Cerulean Cave on Soul Silver at level 70, grown at level 84 in that game, and then transferred, results in Black 2 said that Mewtwo arrived at level 70, while on Bulbapedia it says it should display the level when it was transferred, and not the one of the original capture), for the most part it is satisfactory. :)

It also updates rightly the Pokedex, so Pokemon transferred are registered as both view and seen (the fact that nothing would be done in that sense was one of my worries). ;)

Nature and place are also copied in the right way, and also the date, although I preferred to maintain the original capture date, just hoping the fact that for transferred Pokemons it is before when I started the Black 2 adventure, doesn't mess up somehow with the game (btw, in the case, it should be sufficient to modify a posteriori). I removed held items to better fit with the Poke Transfer rules, but if you want to keep them, you can without any issue. :p

Last but not least, I transferred them on Linux Ubuntu, executing the program with the compatibility layer Vineyard (in short terms, a stronger release of Wine), so it works also on that open source platform. :D

6. insanecrazy07

Good stuff. I'm actually waiting for someone to legitly transfer B/W data to B/W 2 to see how the changes work.

If I could get a simple readout of something that was transferred in that way, I can update this guide to include B/W 2.

It seems that it would follow the same rules, except that the place met would be different. I have a ton of B/W data (that also included migrated data from versions as early as Gen III) that would be much easier to transfer over instead of rebuilding everything from scratch with B/W 2 especially with the majority of Gen III or Gen IV specific (or event) moves not available in Gen V.

7. afullo

afullo New Member

I will be able to try, just after I'll have finished transferring from Gen 4 to Gen 5.

The idea is to follow the same steps, changing just the alternance of target games (B/W in step 4, B2/W2 in step 6; btw, I obviously changed to B2/W2 in step 6 to transferring from Gen 4 to B2), and the correction of place.
    In my opinion (but I've not verified it on the field), every nameplace coded in B/W is also coded in B2/W2, with the Cold Storage in the former ones just named PWT in the latter ones (link1), but without lacks of assignment (i.e., also unreachable places in B2/W2 like Route 10 are correctly registered in that games, if a Pokemon captured there in B/W is transferred).
    The fact that the converse could be (could be, not is) false, e.g. that Route 19 through 23 aren't coded in B/W, has sense, but maybe programmers also wrote their entries into the first two games of Gen 5, preparing them for B2/W2 release (assuming that two years ago they already know that exactly 5 new routes would be added).

Also (but later) I want to transfer some data from Gen 3 to Gen 4 (e.g. Kanto and Hoenn starters), but it seems that only the Windows version of Desmume allows to emulate the GBA slot required for playing in Pal Park (link2), and Pokegen doesn't support Gen 3 anymore (btw, it is right that it's difficult to obtain, at least via official channels, older versions of it, because the maintainers delete older links?), so I schedule it on a lower priority...

__________________________________________________________________________________________

links (I have to write them in this way because the board doesn't allow me to post them directly):

link1 http : // bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/PWT#Trivia
    link2 http: // wiki.desmume.org/index.php?title=Faq#Why_doesn.27t_a_menu_option_or_tool_exist_in_my_Linux_build.3F

8. insanecrazy07

The problem I have is that I don't know what the newly coded location is that differentiates between BW and BW 2.

For example, I remember the move from D/P/Pt to HG/SS was FarawayPlace and all of the caught locations were coded via hex (for HGSS caught pokemon). This meant that for DPPt people that obtained HGSS pokemon (and transferred them back to DPPt), it showed up as FarawayPlace, but for HGSS users, it showed the actual Kanto/Johto region it was caught in.

In short, this meant that the way they coded locations changed in HGSS and did not conform to the old DPPt system. This is the same scenario for the Gen IV to Gen V move with (Poketransfer). I need to know what the new "Poketransfer" modifier is for BW2.

If I had a legit transfer of a Gen IV pokemon to Gen V with the Pokegen readout posted, I can see where the correlations are and change them accordingly.

Ideally, I'll need:
    -A Gen IV that was bred in-game and then transferred
    -A Gen IV that was caught (not event) and transferred
    -A Gen III (from a Gen III game) that was bred and then transferred to Gen IV and then to Gen V
    -A Gen III (from a Gen III game) that was caught (not event) and transferred to Gen IV and then to Gen V

This will allow me to see all of the mechanical changes and I'll be able to recreate a set of rules to follow when recreating them for Gen V BW2 without actually transferring them.

9. afullo

afullo New Member

Ok. I've had a lot of things to do in these days, so I'm proceeding quite slowly. Tonight I finished transferring from SS to B2, and now I can start to do it from Pt to B2, and then from D/P to B2.

After having done it, I can try to do something in that way. With "legit transfer", do you mean a transfer by in-game means, i.e. Pal Park from Gen 3 to Gen 4, Poke Transfer from Gen 4 to Gen 5, and trade between games of the same generation? And furthermore, which kind of Pokegen readout do you need?

10. insanecrazy07

Sweet.

I need the whole readout actually, and a basic description of what it is that you transferred, say a Pokemon from a Gen IV game (wild, bred, unique, event), but really a screenshot of all of the tabs in Pokegen for B/W 2 would do.

The two most important correlations is the Met Location and Met Level changes from when it's transferred like (Poketransfer), and the PID if that changes at all, particularly from B/W to B/W 2 since the PID criteria may have slightly changed between those two games. In Gen IV and earlier, we already have several PID generators out that work for this and I doubt they'd change the PID for those games.

EDIT:
    Looks like I was just being retarded. It seems that we're able to trade between B/W and B/W 2 normally without using one of those migration bullshit machines.

...in which case, the data remains unchanged from the previous versions.

Case closed.

11. afullo

afullo New Member

Btw, I successfully finished transferring my Pt and D/P data to B2.

Yes, trading between games of the same generation is always allowed. But emulating trade seems to be a bunch of crap, so I prefer to migrate my W data into B2 like I did from Gen 4 to Gen 5. Glad to have confirmed that I can do it in a straightforward manner, without (in theory) unexpected complications.

About the double step from Gen 3 to Gen 5 via Gen 4's Pal Park, it seems to be more difficult than expected. My GBA emulator VisualBoyAdvance apparently refuses to save games in Flash 128k format, even if specified it creates anyway a 64k file, while online walkthroughs explicitely state that in order to correctly emulate Pal Park transferring, the GBA savegame must be in that format.
    So, at least for the moment, I'm using these PKM files (http : // www.pkmdb.com/PKM-Downloads-All-Generations) to complete my Pokedex (at least Gen 1 through Gen 4 Pokemon, for Gen 5 I found a source for PKM files, but they were hosted on Megaupload, and they are now unreachable, so I have to search better). They are made for Gen 4 games, so they can be converted for Gen 5 games following the usual guidelines.

12. insanecrazy07

I've already cracked the code for most Gen III stuff except for events due to the unique PID relationship they have. I can however, create a semi-legal PID using a PID generator. It will say GBA unrestricted as the PID type, instead of GBA restricted for the legit one.

I think I have already covered this in one of my other posts. It's probably not in the Tutorial section.

13. Vratar

Vratar New Member

I know this is an old thread -- my apologies for bumping it, but I think I have information that will help avoid problems with some transferred Pokemon, if anyone is still doing this (I am, to get ready for XY migration). I didn't see it mentioned anywhere else, soooo....

The problem occurs in Pokegen, and relates to ribbons. I migrated a few from HG to Black (not 2), and when I checked them in the game computer, the ribbons had not transferred properly. Specifically, it was supposed to have the Legend Ribbon for beating Red in HG, but it got changed to the "Regional Championship" ribbon, which is clearly wrong (and, from what I gather, has never even been issued in reality). This would leave me with an obviously hacked 'mon.

I think the problem is that when you switch from HG to BW in Pokegen, the system adds (or removes?) a few ribbons to the available list. Unfortunately, the check marks stay in exactly the same place. If you have ribbons at the top of the list, they are fine. The farther you go down on the list, though, the check marks are farther and farther away from the correct ribbon.

What I started doing, then, is to write down the ribbon names before starting the migration, then correcting the check marks on the ribbons before I save to BW. It's a little tedious, but I'd rather do that than be accused of cheating (I use Pokegen mostly to check hidden values and migrate, NOT to create super Pokemon).

Hope this is useful to someone!

14. insanecrazy07

Good catch! I had noticed this with some ribbons and when I did a few of mine it would Check All ribbons or Check None. So yes, to avoid this, just take note of what ribbons it already had prior to migration.

And I'll be doing XY stuff the minute Gateway releases their new firmware that allows me to play XY (and more importantly, keeps the savedata on the SD card and NOT the cartridge. I'd be playing the legit cartridge if it saved to the SD (so that savefile extraction -> decryption -> some sort of save editor can be used). It would be hugely stupid to play the legit cartridge only to buy another piece of hardware to extract save files.

15. jollyMisty

jollyMisty New Member

Thanks for the tutorial.
    This been a great help for players like me who're restarting b/w. :)
    Um, just curious, in the 'OT/Misc' tab, does the 'OT' name have escape sequences for poke-transferred 'breeded' pokemon who don't have trash bytes on the OT's name in the original gen4 game?

16. insanecrazy07

No, I don't believe they do. Escape sequences only exist for Gen V and up, including OT.

17. sinanju

sinanju New Member

TY for the great tutorial.

What about pokegening a pokemon to make it seem like it's been traded?
    Like for example: a breeded Horsea hatched and evolved to Seadra in saveGameA(White2), to be traded in saveGameB(Black2) to evolve it to Kingdra?

18. insanecrazy07

The data does not change between versions of the same generation.