This tutorial was started on April 1st 2011.
Its about enabling WIFI feature for NDS Games playable on DeSmuMe v.0.9.7 if you have broadband connection using Wired-LAN (Ethernet LAN Cable Broadband) without any WIFI router or access point; not possible on USB Broadband Dongle, or Dial Up via telephone cable; maybe possible via wireless connection but I'm not covering it. As long as you have Ethernet Wired-LAN Connection and Ethernet LAN hardware in your computer (PC/Laptop) as well as using router; it should work. I first learn about this thanks to Lune's tutorial thread in GBATemp.net, all credits goes to him/her for bringing it up. If you are using an internet connection method other than Ethernet LAN Cable, please refrain from trying as it won't work.
For Win XP users, run the program as normal, for Win Vista and Win 7 users run the programs in ADMIN Mode. Mac and Linux.....well....don't ask me about it as I don't have either program. I have confirmed that the below method work on both my Windows XP Home SP3 Laptop and on Windows 7 Home SP1 Laptop.
What you need:
1. DeSmuMe WIFI Package (Choose 1)
1. DeSmuMe v.0.9.6 WIFI with WinPcap v.4.1.1 : Download Here
2. DeSmuMe v.0.9.7 r3947 x64 WIFI with WinPcap v.4.1.1 : Download Here
3. DeSmuMe v.0.9.7 r3947 x64 WIFI with WinPcap v.4.1.2 : Download Here
4. DeSmuMe v.0.9.7 r3947 x86/x32 WIFI with WinPcap v.4.1.1 : Download Here
5. DeSmuMe v.0.9.7 r3947 x86/x32 WIFI with WinPcap v.4.1.2 : Download Here 2. WinPcap Program and BIOS for DeSmuMe Package: WinPcap v.4.1.2 and BIOS BIN for DeSmuMe Download Here
Instruction & Information :
3. High Speed Ethernet Wired-LAN (Broadband) Connection Optional:
Version 4.1.2, 02 jul 10Supported platforms:
•Windows XP/2003/Vista/2008/Win7/2008R2 (x86 and x64)
MD5 Checksum: 929b7d846b635959201e30b571902
SHA1 Checksum: 5bbdce5c2ad5423ba023b1272301a
If you want the newer WinPcap (Not necessary to use new one);WinPcap v.4.1.3 : CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOADInstructions:
1.Download and run the executable
2.Follow the instructions on the screen. The installation applet will automatically detect the operating system and install the correct drivers
3.The WinPcap-based applications are now ready to work
4.To remove WinPcap from the system, go to the Control Panel, click on "Add/Remove programs" and then select "WinPcap"Notes:
Starting from WinPcap 4.0beta3, support for the Windows 9x/ME family of operating systems has been dropped.Changelog:
•Fixed a bug reported by Boaz Brickner (http://pcapdotnet.codeplex.com/
): the driver could cause an OS crash when an IRP_MJ_CLEANUP is processed in parallel with an IRP_MJ_READ/WRITE/DEVICECONTROL. The fix defers the deallocation of the open structure in IRP_MJ_CLOSE.
•Fixed a bug in the buffered write code. A malformed transmit buffer sent with pcap_sendqueue_transmit could cause a buffer overflow and crash the OS.
•Disabled tracing in the driver (it was left on by mistake in the previous release of WinPcap).
•Added the missing export pcap_free_datalinks.
•Do not show the installation panel with the OS info.
•Small fix to the documentation regarding WDK.
4. Save File Convertor : Offline Save File Convertor from Evan Dixon
Shunyweb Online Save File Convertor UniqueGeeks Save File Convertor
Use this only if you want to convert your game save file from DeSmuMe type to use on your Console's Cartridge, or if
you want to download contents for your game save file from your Console Cartridge via DeSmuMe. Pre-Setup:1. Installing WinPcap
After downloading the packages, run the program, make sure to tick "Automatic Start at Boot time",
also make sure that its marked as "exception" in your FireWall Settings. Note:
Do not ever disable your FIREWALL and ANTIVIRUS !!!
Unless you don't mind getting virus/trojan/malware all over your computer. Which is more precious and
important? Your computer and its files or playing games? Just give the WinPcap exception and do the
same to DeSmuMe. Give both FULL CONTROL/ADMIN RIGHT under PROPERTIES in the SECURITY option.2. Setting Up the DeSmuMe
Run the DeSmuMe in the package; #
Large Image in the Spoiler:
a. Go to CONFIG and choose WIFI SETTINGS, then tick INFRASTRUCTURE and then press OK
As for the bottom INFRASTRUCTURE SETTINGS, it depend on what hardware you have in your computer,
so you have to test which one will work for you, should be the one for Ethernet Wired LAN that will work.
b. Go to CONFIG and choose EMULATION SETTINGS, then tick as shown in the image below and press OK
(Note: ticking the Boot From Firmware Like NDS is not necessary unless you want to do step 2.c which is optional)
As for the ARM Bios 7, ARM Bios 9, and firmware Bin, make sure to enable/choose the files in the package.
Press the " .... " and locate the 3 files in the package provided.
c. Optional step
(This step is not necessary unless you want to mimic loading like an NDS Console.) #
Skip this step if you don't want to "Boot From Firmware Like an NDS" console.
c.1. Go to CONFIG and choose FIRMWARE SETTINGS, fill it up with your data, and then press OK
Make sure the data you add in this step is the same with the data added in the c.3 step below.
c.2. To do this step, make sure that you have tick the BOOT FROM FIRMWARE (LIKE THE NDS)
at the FIRMWARE option under the EMULATION SETTINGS (see image in step 2.b.)
When you first load a game, the above image will be shown, tap the small icon at the
bottom center that looks like an open NDS console.
c.3. Next, tap the green icon, fill up your username, birthday, and choose the color you want.
Make sure that the database you enter in this step is the same with what you enter in step
2.c.1. Otherwise you'll get an un-matching ID. Do make sure to match the database before
moving from an older DeSmuMe to a newer version. Otherwise you'll suffer un-matching ID.
After filling up the details as shown in the above, choose Confirm/Ok to Shut Down
and you will need to reboot/reload the game that you want to playing. Setting Up the In-Game WIFI
Load any game that have WIFI capability in it. And go to the WIFI SETTING.
a. Go to NINTENDO WIFI CONNECTION SETTINGS, and choose it.
b. Now in the next page, you should see as below the box on the left marked as NONE/READY, choose it.
See and do step c.
After that choose SEARCH FOR AN ACCESS POINT to acquire the SOFTAP. It will automatically do step d.
c. Now you should see as shown below, choose TEST CONNECTION.
d. If you did the above correctly, then you should see these 2 images as shown below.
If you get testing fail, re-check the EMULATION SETTING and WIFI SETTING.
e. If you see the above result, then congratulation you have enabled DeSmuMe's WIFI CapabilityVisual Tutorial on Setting Up DeSmuMe WiFi for v.0.9.6 and v.0.9.7:Video Tutorial On How to Set Up the DeSmuMe Wifi Capability : Click Here
(Thanks to : John3 a.k.a John2461
)Video Tutorial On How to Set Up the DeSmuMe Wifi Capability Using Wireless Connection Method: Click Here
(Thanks to : John3 a.k.a John2461
)Possible Trouble Shooter for Error Code 20104 and 52000 DeSmuMe WiFi for v.0.9.6 and v.0.9.7:
Here are all the possible solution to your connectivity problem. If none of the below possible trouble shooter work, most likely you will never be able to get the feature to work due to your internet subscription package type.
1. Try replacing the firmware.dfc in the DeSmuMe folder with either one of this:
a. Firmware.dfc Option 1 : Click Here Option 1
b. Firmware.dfc Option 2 : Click Here Option 2
(Thanks to : John3 a.k.a John2461
2. If some of you are using VISTA or WIN 7;
a. There is DEP (Data Exchange Protection) security in the system. To by-pass it for DeSmuMe and any other
* Right Click on the DeSmuMe icon on your Desktop
* Run as Admin
* Right Click on the DeSmuMe icon on your Desktop
* Edit Permission
* Full Control
b. Move the "biosnds7.bin", "biosnds9.bin", and "firmware.bin" into the Firmware Folder before assigning them
as instructed in the tutorial.
(Thanks to : Insanecrazy07
3. You might want to attempt editing the DNS inside the WFC Setup config to : 188.8.131.52 184.108.40.206 4.2.2
4. Go to Network Connection, manually changing the bridging from PPOE to PPOA (or the other way round)
5. You might want to attempt editing the IP inside WFC Setup to : 192.168.110 or changing the last 2 digit to
any number in the "10" multiplication; eg. 192.168.120 ,etc.
6. Locate in your Control Panel's Firewall, for any possibilities of a setting that might block the WinPcap (eg. disable
SPI Firewall). There's no need to disable your firewall !!!
7. Make sure your LAN Connection is set as HOME Network, not work or public network.
8. If you get Firmware.dfc,BiosArm7.dfc, and BiosArm9.dfc, image error, go to PATH SETTING under the DeSmuMe's
Config, and self assign the files/folders. Or alternatively, self replace the firmware.dfc with the one provided above.
9. Assign STATIC IP ADDRESS for routers that has both ethernet cable port and antena(WIFI anthena).
10. Go to DeSmuMe main screen and press CTRL-R
to reset your settings, or perform a RESTART computer.
11. Make sure the WinPcap (rpcapd.exe) and DeSmuMe are in the exception list of your Firewall and Antivirus.
12. Try to clean up your network adapters. Uninstall/disable all the VPN software like Hamachi, Tunngle, VirtualBox, and VMWare
Workstation, etc. and reboot your computer. You can also try to make your network adapter that is connected to the internet to the
primary one. To do this, go to the list of your network adapters and press ALT then click "advanced" --> "advanced settings"
highlight the adapter and put it to the top with the arrows. (Thanks to: Ultravore)
13. If you have trouble getting the GTS, PGL and Game Sync to work between 2 friends. One of you (or both) may try to change your
router settings: enable UPnP is a must, beacuse a DS needs all the UDP ports forwarded for the connection to work (this info is
available on the Nintendo troubleshooting website). If you still have problems, you may have to change your router.
(Thanks to: Shadow-5471)
14. Make sure to check if you computer is running on x64 bit ot x32/x86 bit.
15. Make sure your network is set to use LAN Broadband (Local Area Connection) not Wireless.
16. Make sure you are the only computer connected to the router-modem.Side Note Regarding Save File Conversion
If you want to use the downloaded WIFI stuffs on your NDS Console, simply convert the DeSmuMe's save file into the appropriate save file type for your cart, and name it the same as your game rom's name. It should work like a charm as I've already tested it too. If you have an on going game play on your console and do not have WIFI router/access point in your home, you can also make use of the above to download contents over this feature by converting your save file to DeSmuMe's save file type using the convertor, run it like the above, and convert it back into your cart's save file type once you've done the download.Credit Acknowledgements:
1. Romulation.net : For hosting this tutorial
2. DeSmume Team : For the original DeSmuMe Program (DeSmuMe Official Site
3. EmuCr.com and Nichole : For the WiFi Capable DeSmuMe SVN release (Latest DeSmuMe SVN Download
4. Lune and Slytherx : For the original tutorial thread in GBATemp.net (Original Thread
5. Evan Dixon : For the offline Save File Convertor Program
6. Shunyweb Team : For the online Save File Convertor Program
7. winpcap.org : For the WinPcap program (WinPcap Official Site
1. I've decided to remove all images that was hosted in PhotoBucket due to them blocking it each month for a week as they expects me
to go pay even though I didn't used up my free quota.
2. Given that some of those who come to use this topic don't seems to understand that I don't support wireless connectivity, however
there're several posts made by nmp0401
in pages 56 - 58 for that purpose. Read them if you must.
3. Also given the numerous similar and repetitive problems that kept popping in this topic, I find that it's a waste of my time responding
to the same issues over and over. I suggest those of you having problem to go read the over 60 pages worth of posts. It shouldn't
take an hour to skim read through them all than wait for my response. The solution you probably looking for is sure to be among
those 60 pages.