1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Going wireless on my PS3?

Discussion in 'Sony' started by houstontx224, Jun 15, 2011.

1. houstontx224

houstontx224 Well-Known Member

I have a modem which is connected to an outlet jack( phone type ..I think) and it was suggested to me that I can go to Best Buy (or someplace like it) and purchase a wireless modem? Will this work with any internet service (AT & T). Ive been playing some Modern Warfare on PSN and my TV is like waaaay in the other room so I play on the small set. I want to use my TV in the living room. Thanks in advance for any help.

HoustonTX224

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

it is a wireless modem-router, and yes you can. You need an ADSL2+ (or VDSL if that is what you have) broadband router with wireless (note a cable router is not the same thing as it does not have a built in modem) however if your current modem uses ethernet you could use a cable router in conjunction with your current modem. Depending on your current modem, this may cause you to be double NATed, which can be an inconvenience.

3. houstontx224

Not realy sure if this will do the trick? Any ideas on this one..Ever heard of it? Or used it? Thanks.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833162033&cm_re=buffalo_wireless_router-_-33-162-033-_-Product

HoustonTX224

4. Loonylion

thats a cable router.

5. houstontx224

So, I need the modem-router? Sorry if IM making it so confusing.

6. Loonylion

yes, a modem-router would replace your current modem, a cable router would attach to your current modem (if your current modem uses ethernet, if its USB you're SOL) instead of your PC (which would then attach to the cable router). There are disadvantages to chaining a modem and a router however.

7. houstontx224

Thanks Loonylion..my internet does use an ethernet cable..so modem router it is..thank you.

HoustonTX224

8. Mondu

Mondu New Member

Having same problem, and this thread gives me the exact solution. Thanks for all of your help guys ....