1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Rumor: First working 3DS flashcart Gateway 3DS Announced

Discussion in 'Flashcart Help' started by roee, May 30, 2013.

1. roee

roee Member

Exciting news, the very first working 3DS flashcart - Gateway 3DS has been announced today!

News from GATEWAY 3DS official website
    GATEWAY 3DS Teaser
    30/05/2013

The wait is over! The first ever backup device that enables playback of 3DS ROMS is now a reality. The device is in its final stages of design and production is just around the corner. Stay tuned and enjoy the show!

Read more:
    http://www.gateway-3ds.com/
    http://www.r4flashcart.com/13-gateway-3ds-flashcart-play-3ds-games-on-3ds-xl-3ds.html

2. TBreaker

TBreaker Well-Known Member

Looks like another fake.

3. Neon32

Neon32 Neo-Noir

it looks promising but the video in the official webpage doesnt really shows much , i guess it may be fake .

4. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

wait for an announcement on a reputable site such as gbatemp or ds-scene

5. Jhon 591

Jhon 591 Well-Known Member

Don't know, look's kind of real...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uW3LxuDvHeI

Buy looking at the video, she insert and unsert three Diffrent microSD cards while active, how could you fake that ?

6. Loonylion

without much difficulty.

7. Jhon 591

Ture xd ;D .

Bit wearid xd, that one MicroSD Card could be required for each game only, maybe for smaller games maybe upto 3 games for each 2GB .

8. farcry31

farcry31 Well-Known Member

could be that they can start only one name , 3 micro cards , 3 games , 1 name

9. TBreaker

TBreaker Well-Known Member

Is already confirmed, that the format of the 3DS ROMs is correct?
    I hope they are overdumped and some data isn't needed. I don't like such big files.

10. Loonylion

its unlikely, the 3ds cartridges are much higher capacity than ds/dsi cartridges

11. tanstaafl

tanstaafl Active Member

From another forum:
    *Is this real? Short answer: Yes. This is a real product and will really allow you to play 3DS ROMS on your 3DS unit.

*How does this work? It's a tiny bit more complicated than this, but I'm dumbing it down so that everyone can understand. Basically, this is a shell for an SD card slot which tricks the 3DS into thinking that the SD card is the game cart. By putting the ROM into the SD card, and the SD card into the shell, you've essentially created a 1:1 copy of a retail game; a bootleg.

*What does that mean for the user? A couple things. The SD card has to be the correct size for the ROM. If you have a 2gb ROM you need a 2gb SD card, and so on. You cannot use a larger card than the ROM you're using, which also means that there's no way to store more than one ROM on the card at a time. Additionally, the save files are stored on the cart shell itself, as the spot for that is standardized. This means that if you change the ROM, the new game will see that information as a corrupted save and delete it. You'll need to back up your save files before switching ROMs, and you may need additional hardware to do so.

*Can it run homebrew? Nope. This won't allow you to run unsigned code. The cart is set up in such a fashion that you've created a 1:1 copy of a retail cart. That is, it's signed by Nintendo already, and that's why you can run it.

*Can it get around region blocking? Nope. For the same reason listed above, you'll still need to use the correct region's ROM for your hardware, and won't be able to play any ROMS of games that haven't been released in your hardware's region. You also can't modify the ROMs without stripping the Nintendo signature and thus making this method no longer work.

*But since the 3DS can't tell the difference between this and a real cart, it means Nintendo can't block it with an update, right? No. Nintendo can and will block this device. Currently, the 3DS can't tell the difference. However, it's just not being instructed to check the right things. There's plenty Nintendo can do to identify this device. For only one example, they can check the read speed of the cart and see that it isn't the same as an official card.

Worse, since ROMs can't be modified, Nintendo also can and will simply include the update on future game carts, it impossible to play those games with the device since doing so would force an update that made it no longer function.

*So what will I need in order to use this to full effect? You'll need: 1) The device itself 2) One MicroSD card to standard SD card adaptor for your computer, or a USB card reader device with a MicroSD card slot. 3) One MicroSD card of every standard 3DS ROM size - 512mb, 1GB, 2GB, and 4GB 4) A method of getting save data off the cart, storing it for later, and putting it back on the cart (an R4i save dongle, for instance).

*Will this open any doors for better versions in the future? Nope. Again, because it's running 1:1 copies, and can't run any modified or unsigned code, it won't be leading to better technology on its own. It will, however, serve to motivate those that are currently working to crack that nut in two ways: First, because someone is out there getting a piece of the pie already and potentially eating their sales, and second because people will be unhappy with the complicated way this one works and demand for a proper system will increase

12. Fylgja

Fylgja High level Neet

looks good, ill need to remember not to update my 3ds now

13. Neon32

Neon32 Neo-Noir

dont know if the another forom is reliable this answer clearly states that only one game per card. :-\

14. tanstaafl

tanstaafl Active Member

More quote from yet another forum:

"Yep, it is real.
    And for those asking, it is 'early video' before the 'game manager' was finished in coding by the homebrew developers, reason for 3 microsd one for each rom.
    And it should be shipping in less then 2 weeks."

15. Fylgja

Fylgja High level Neet

that contradicts the previous statement that homebrew wouldn't work

16. Jhon 591

??? sorry totly lost you farcry .

17. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

Not sure if it really makes sense from the video where this demonstrator insert and remove the cart, without shutting down the console first, yet it auto launch to the next game each time a new SD card is inserted.

If it's real, it's at least a step forward. However at the current state where 1 SDHC card = 1 rom is so damn troublesome.
    But I still doubt this is real, until it really hit the market.

18. Jhon 591

Thats was my thought, and when the 3ds was "Half shut", You could see the Game icon popup / appear as soon she inserted the card .

Then again about one microSD, how can anyone complane ??? , I mean at lest save one buying a game, are you could delate the game after use and add a diffrent game onto SD card.

19. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

I don't own a 3DS, but I doubt doing what the demo shown is 'proper'. How can a new game be loaded properly if the console isn't shut down first? It'll cause/pose a potential memory lost/corruption by doing so, as far as I know. I suspect it was 'video edited' material, or the game was from the DS's virtual store running on the console without the need of any cart inserted into it (forgot it's proper name)?!

Also....there it mention the need to use an 'R4i Save Dongle?! Wow....what for? I got the device, it's only for original game carts to dump and inject save files. Shouldn't the save file be created into the SD Micro and not into the flash cart itself? Does the flash cart has it's own on-board memory to separately save the save file in it's own extension compared to keeping it together with the game rom? Why? If it's not so, then just plug the damn SD card into a PC and the save file should be there along with the rom. For starter, R4i Save Dongle won't detect a flash cart inserted into it, not to mention the Dongle been abandoned by the R4i team. Sounds damn fishy....

I for one would. The whole idea of using a flash cart, is to have a media where you get to keep/accommodate/carry more than 1 game rom instead of carrying several cards on the go. With having to have 1 card per 1 game is kind of troublesome. Consider not having a PC/laptop/tablet with you on the road to transfer files when you only have 1 SD card. You'd be stuck with having to carry several cards instead, and buying SD/SDHC Cards isn't cheap, even though it certainly is by far cheaper than having to buy original carts. Just inconvenient for the most part.

20. Jhon 591

Yes I suppose so xd ^ , at lest a 32GB card with many games ;) would be better, maybe for the video it was in tester mood... , as the main saite has no firmware yet, in the making .

No idea about R4i Save Dongle... very odd.

If that was video edited metrail, it must be very very good job of it xd ;D .

Then again, the title was Tester .