1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Pirating

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jailminer, Jun 18, 2015.

1. jailminer

jailminer New Member

I know pirating is illegal and all.... BUT hear me out! So like, if you have a messed up (scratched) disc of a game, and downloaded it off the internet and used it without buying it, is it okay? I don't wanna break the law!!!! :'(

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

no its still illegal. It's a civil offence rather than a criminal one though, and you're unlikely to get in trouble.

having backups is only legal if you made them yourself from your own originals. (assuming your country's law allows you have backups at all, not all countries do)

3. maxmahito

maxmahito Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I'm very curious, sir, what country are you from? In many countries, the DMCA enforcers themselves violoate it by downloading things off internet/torrents. :p

By the way, nice irony asking about the legality of a product in the forums of a site which provides products illegally (for academical and research purposes only, though.)

4. harryclinton

harryclinton New Member

Pirating CDs is a illegal act it comes under civil offense not in the crime category but still it is not done in any aspects.

5. miguel_urbie

miguel_urbie Member

no matter what you come with or ideas you think or try to find a way. its "illegal" the end.
    besides... when you buy a game there is always terms and conditions that you accept. on pc games that is usually displayed at install\notes inside the disk
    you already are breaking the "rules" by doing so.. but on console games its usually on manual and printed on the disk

depending on your country it usually is legal to own a copy of your own games. but to be legal you must make the copy yourself. that is the only case.

legal or illegal whatever, every single person who owns a computer, phone or media player got at some point something "illegal"

don't you tell me you never had a teacher that brought printed pages of a book or an article online without bothering looking to the terms imposed by the author.

no one is arrested for piracy unless you made someone mad\angry like the big guy at hollywood or policeis desperate to get you.
    so.. stop having affairs with that woman married to the police chief!
    have fun take your friends to court because they have a "not legal" copy of a game

6. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

that's legal, it's known as the fair use doctorine.

People do get arrested for it. It's not common but it happens, usually either its the supplier that gets busted, or a very prolific downloader.