An Unbiased Look At The 3 Next-Gen Systems

Discussion in 'Gaming Lounge' started by Winterreise, Feb 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Winterreise

Winterreise Well-Known Member

Here I'll put up some unbiased pros and cons on the current systems, that do not take system specs into account.. Also, this list is in alphabetical order so don't get pissed off if your system isn't listed first.

Sony PS3

Pros:
    • Free online service (PSN)
    • Web browser
    • Support for up to 6 controllers
    • Built-in WiFi
    • A growing community for online games
    • Supports Blu-ray discs

Cons:

• Price (Expensive compared to other systems)
    • Rather small game library, with few large "blockbuster" titles (as of writing this, anyways)
    • The PSN service is still in a very early stage, and is not the greatest

Nintendo Wii

Pros:

• Innovative motion sensor controller
    • Free online service
    • Built-in Internet Browser
    • Built-in WiFi

Cons:

• Lack of online games
    • A medium-sized library of games, with a few 'blockbuster' titles (this could be a pro, I suppose)
    • Controllers and peripherals are bloody expensive
    • Currently does not support a next-gen disc type.

Microsoft Xbox 360

Pros:

• Xbox Live, a very advanced online community with rich features (eg: Movie rentals, downloadable content for games, move trailers, music videos, Xbox Flash, etc)
    • Original Xbox games available for download through Xbox Live
    • A massive game library, with many 'blockbuster' titles
    • Controllers and peripherals are mid-range for price
    • A huge online community for games
    • Currently the Arcade version of the Xbox360 is the cheapest next generation system available.

Cons:

• Xbox Live is not free, and can be expensive depending on location
    • Does not have built-in WiFi
    • Currently does not support a next-gen disc type.
    • Xbox 360's built before September 2007 have a high failure rate (New chips dramatically decreased this problem)
    • They tend to get quite hot if left in an area with poor ventilation (as do all systems, but more so for the 360)

2. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Nice pros and cons.

3. Born2killx

Born2killx Well-Known Member

Not bad. Although you call "Support for four controllers" a pro for the 360, but not for the Wii. Fixed a capitalization error too. The V in very was lowercase.

4. A good list, probably researched.
    But I'm afraid I have to disagree with some of your pros/cons
    PS3
    1. Rather small game library, with few large "blockbuster" titles (as of writing this, anyways)

I don't disagree with the statement, but most systems only have a few truly great games in their lifetime, and I would say the PS3 has already made one hell of a ringer, that which is Resistance: Fall of Man, Where as XBox 360 has been out for 2 years now and don't even say the word halo, it is NOT a great game by any standards, however, They have made many...good games, like bioshock, fusion frenzy 2, and I suppose I could consider Halo as a good game.

I also disagree that the Wii has a some blockbusters, the only good games they have come from nintendo themselves, i.e. Super Mario Galaxy, Mario Party 8, The Legend of Zelda, etc. The only exception I have of this is No More Heroes, but not many people with Wii's get that kind of game, so it will go mostly unnoticed

oh, one last thing, there is NO way that four controllers is a pro, its neutral, any less would be a con, any more a pro, hell, the PS2 could handle 8 so don't go saying four is a pro, makes me laugh :p

5. Winterreise

Fair enough. Pros and cons on controllers have been removed.

Also, the 'blockbuster' game comments I made were purely by asking people to name big games for each system off the top of their head. PS3 got 2 or 3 big-name titles (Namely Resistance, Jak and Daxter, etc), Xbox 360 got between 10 and 12, and the Wii had about 5.

Games are generally a moot (happy, Loony? :p) point, though, since each person has their own opinions.

6. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

You mean a 'moot' point.

7. iamlegend

iamlegend Well-Known Member

Fairly accurate summary Winterr...

But I'm afraid I have to disagree with just about everything codemeister says....
    To call Resistance "one hell of a ringer" is stupidity..
    Resistance is a very average game....stuck in the last generation....
    Xbox 360 has Gears of War, Bioshock, Dead Rising, Crackdown, The Orange Box and many more great games...
    And to say Halo 3 is not a "blockbuster" is wrong....it is by definition a blockbuster...

Also, you can't discount the Wii's catalogue of games just because many of its games are in-house productions...

The PS3 can actually handle up to 7 controllers....
    8 would be possibly be a pro....but 7 is no better than 4

And finally, I would like to label you a PS3 fanboy.

8. actually, sony in general, dating back to the PS1, but I looked at it from a unbiased view, like I should be, and halo may sell a lot, doesn't make it a good game....

9. Almo

Almo Well-Known Member

I couldnt agree more, Halo 3 was absolutely horrible. And though youve missed the biggest of all: Mass Effect. However if I was going to list titles off my head I think more would fall into PS3 (though thats due to previously having the PS series and wanting to play the sequels to my much loved childhood games) for example KillZone2 and MGS4.

But all in all a nice list there winterr. Perhaps it can be added to over time.
    maybe under cons for the 360 add in "Almo's ISP is a c**t and boots him off live every now and then"

10. ultra

ultra Guest

be careful on comments about the library of games for each consoles. the xbox has a lot of fps, sports and western rpg games. so if you're one of them then you more then likely will support or say that the 360 has a nice selection of games then compared to the wii or ps3.

btw, the wii is currently open, open as in there are new things that nintendo is adding to their wii chanels. for instance, wii ware is coming out soon as well as a new chanel called pay to play. i don't know about the others though.

for ps3, you may want to comment on how the price for the ps3 may actually be a pro, knowing as of now, that the blu ray is the winner over hd dvd.

don't forget to mention alot of shovelware on the wii.

you may want to mention hard drive space?, as it relates to the convenience of rather you need to delete and install again and again. wii for instance is a pain in the butt because the 512mb memory is small so you frequently delete and install over and over again. the other two consoles, xbox 360 and ps3, i'm not sure of. as of right now, we don't really know if there is a possible solution to solving the wii's hard drive problem as nintendo has done nothing to solve the problem other then to tell people to delete the stuff and install the new stuff you want and if you want your old stuff then delete the current stuff and install the old stuff.

11. Winterreise

This list does not focus on system specs, such as HDD space, etc.

Also, the games library is a general thing. I'm not talking about different genres, I'm talking about total games to choose from.

Updated for blu-ray, though.

12. iamlegend

In any case, the 360's external HDD would be a pro...

13. MusicAddict911

MusicAddict911 Well-Known Member

The PS3's price isn't that bad when you factor in that you are actually getting a blu-ray player and a gaming console. The blu-ray players are pretty expensive stand-alone right now.

Resistance isn't an average game stuck in the last generation. It's a great game. The Orange Box isn't exclusive to the 360 either. From your general posts throughout this section, I label you a XBOX 360 fanboy.

14. iamlegend

Agreed. But how many people actually need or want a blu-ray player ? First and foremost it is a games console...

Yes it is. Please don't confuse next gen graphics (not that they're even that great) for a next gen game.

No it's not

You're free to label me what you wish, but I speak truth..

15. kamage

kamage Well-Known Member

@ iamlegend: Well, it is a game console, but it would be nice if they doubled as a dvd player...with Hi-def

16. ultra

ultra Guest

it's very hard to rate and comment on a systems game library because of personal preference. orange box consists of classic fps games and if your a fan of fps games, then you more then likely will support it and say yes, but on the other hand if you're not a supporter of fps then you will decline it's favor. this will decrease the size of the library for that system. if i don't like fps games and suppose the 360 had 100 games, which 50% are games that are fps, then i only have a choice of 50 titles that i may like or dislike.

17. Winterreise

This is why I didn't go into specifics on game libraries. It's just easier to say that the Xbox360 has a very large library, so you're likely to find a few games that you really like, over the PS3, which has a much smaller library, and you may have a harder time finding a few games you like.

18. iamlegend

Also there is no doubt the Xbox is overcoming the bad reputation it had gained
    due to the lack of RPG's...
    (Thanks in no small part to Mistwalker)

19. MusicAddict911

MusicAddict911 Well-Known Member

A much smaller library? I'd imagine for the majority of gamers that it's easy to find a few games you like on both consoles. You're acting, particularly from the wording of that post, that the PS3 has absolutely nothing ("have a harder time finding a few games you like"). I don't like first-person shooters that much and I can easily find tons of games on both consoles that I like as can many others.

@iamlegend: Clearly it's going to be impossible to debate that with you so I'm just going to ignore your sheer fanboyism for the XBOX 360. Can you explain to me how Resistance: Fall of Man isn't a "next-generation game" when compared to Halo 3 which is just Halo 1 and 2 all over again? Can you define "next-gen game"? What specific qualities does a console or game have to have to be "next-gen"? The whole "next-gen" term is subjective and can be interpreted in many different ways.

The bad reputation the 360 gained wasn't centered around the lack of RPGs. It was mostly about the reliability of the console, which, even with the new "falcon" chips isn't that great. I want a gaming console that I can rely on, not one that'll give me the red ring of death after playing it for three hours. (personal experience) My PlayStation 3 and Wii don't get hot at all.

20. Winterreise

NeonFire, the gameplay in Halo 3 may be the same, but the really revolutionary part of the game is the Forge (where you can re-create the maps for multiplayer), the video replay system, screenshots, etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.