An Unbiased Look At The 3 Next-Gen Systems

Discussion in 'Gaming Lounge' started by Winterreise, Feb 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

I almost only play PC games. It does not count as a console and never has.

2. x9x9x

x9x9x Well-Known Member

The PC is only like a template for what every console does, like now every console is becoming a "multimedia center" which is what a PC has been for a while.
    The PC may never be a complete "console" like the 360, PS3 or Wii but it is where they get their things from.

Loonylion, if you look then you'll see that some of the original generations had consoles which were computers (BBC Micro) and it has slowly become it's own thing, seperate from them so i can see where you are coming from that isn't a console now. (BUT I SHALL NEVER ADMIT THAT I AGREE WITH YOU BECAUSE I'M STUBBORN LIKE THAT!)

3. mikesta733

mikesta733 New Member

Xbox 360 had the widest variety of games. That's why I would prefer it over the others. Furthermore games surpasses most other reasons for having a system, for example PS3 can play Blue-Ray, not the reason I would buy it though. (But I must say it's nice to have the perks =P)

4. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

PC game userbase is the user base that usually gets shafted.

See: FEAR 2, every bad console port, DRM, bugs/patches up the wazooooooooooooooooo.

UGH. Fear 2 aggravates me.

PC is not a console, a PC is a personal computer obviously, game consoles are things that's main focus is to be used for video games.

5. jc_106

jc_106 Well-Known Member

There are people (like me) who just want a PC to be used as a games console, although it wasn't designed to be a games console (and it isn't a games console, people just use it for games).

6. Pearldante

Pearldante Member

only real prob the ps3 had was the price cause at the time blu-ray was still new so a bad choice at the time so many ( like myself) went to the 360 but i now am having a hard time choosing between the 2, oh and an after thought i have spent a lot of time in pc world in the last ( waiting for my latop to be fixed DO NOT GO TO PCWORLD FOR A FIX 2 WEEKS and counting WTF) and have seen many Blu-ray PC's/Laptops all of witch are £800+ so in hine sight the ps3 w2as a good price at relase yet still more tham i get in a month :p ::)

7. equitypetey

equitypetey Well-Known Member

the price was fine people just moaned about it, as you say blu-ray players are expensive and when they came out stand alone players cost more then the ps3 so it was actually cheap for what it was.

8. nish_bish

nish_bish Member

nice. i dont know whether youve seen it yet but the newest console(esq) machine is onlive. if you know about this then we should say what the futre of this is. im deefinatley intrested in getting one if the monthly price is right.

9. ImDaMage

ImDaMage Member

Maybe they're mostly shovelware, but the wii has the biggest game library.

And the console sellers:

SSBB
    Zelda TP
    Mario Kart
    Super Mario Galaxy
    Mario & Sonic (working really well amongst casual gamers)
    Wii Sports
    Metroid Prime 3

might of missed one =/

Also you could add the backwards compatibility into pros and cons of wii and (partly) Xbox 360

10. Wintrale

Wintrale Well-Known Member

Was I the only person who bought/enjoyed Red Steel, MadWorld, Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles and House of the Dead: Overkill...? Besides, the biggest console seller on the Wii is WiiFit. The biggest pile of rubbish in the last three generations at least. If it weren't for the DS, Nintendo would be screwed this generation in terms of core gamer support.

11. koniferus

koniferus Well-Known Member

Onlive will pwn if they pull it off. I'll have one on launch day. There are a good deal of "nay sayers" bitching about how it will never work and all that jazz. Everything that has EVER came out has had a massive amount of "nay sayers." I say YAY! It has some serious potential. If their system works truly lag free, I'd say video game graphics will get better extremely quickly.

[me=koniferus]crosses his fingers.[/me]

12. Wintrale

Wintrale Well-Known Member

There are only two problems... One, the OnLive servers had better be pretty much damn inpenetrable with at least ten backup generators. If the servers go down, all your purchase history will go with it. At least, with current gen consoles, the games are actually on your harddrive. Secondly, bandwidth. Not everyone has the bandwidth to stream games for five or six hours a day per month - so people will either have to use the service sparingly, or lose out on value. Those are some pretty big hurdles... Besides, who wants to pay a console, for the games, then pay monthly to be able to play them as well as their internet usage bills? OnLive sounds costly. Like, really costly.

13. apophos755

apophos755 Well-Known Member

I think that onlive will go the way of bleem.

I can see the potential benefits of onlive. I just finished watching the trailer for it.....it sounds nice...."on paper". Like Wintrale said above me, it sounds like it has the potential to be exorbitantly expensive. If I'm goint to put forth my hard earned money for a game, I want something tangible in exchange. Actual disc media, not just some data stored on someone else's server. If the servers crash with no back up of your purchase or gaming history, you're out a lot of money. Hopefully they have thought of something to counter that very real possibility.

14. jc_106

jc_106 Well-Known Member

Still can't believe people take next-gen graphics for next-gen game. Fallout3 was one of the best games I've played and it sure is a next-gen game! Now, a game like Resistance is, for me, another FPS with great graphics. Crysis sure was fun, but it would have been a 1/10 compared to Fallout3 or Dead Space. These last two actually have some depth in their stories.

And Dragon Quest VIII scores an 11/10 anyday for me.

15. asdzxc123789

asdzxc123789 Well-Known Member

Ps3 is perfect for me.

XboX is also good ,but I live in a country that XboX is expensive as hell.

16. Vainone

Vainone Well-Known Member

Ok, going not from personal experience but from a hardware nerd's point of view.

The xbox 360 is flawed in design, the fan doesn't circulate enough air around the console since it only blows the hot air out.
    It needs another, higher powered fan.

The box is too small to fit the components in such a way that would let air flow.
    In summary, a bad design but a good console.

Let's just hope that microsoft realise their stupidity (but that's never going to happen.)

A more substantial hope would be that linux makes a gaming console... It would be the best ever :D

17. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

linux isn't company.

18. asdzxc123789

asdzxc123789 Well-Known Member

Sony owns Blu-Ray.

There will be no such thing as:360 wit B-R or not-suckin Wii.

19. aaaaaaa7

aaaaaaa7 Well-Known Member

Wii is getting really original.

Mario
    Samus
    Kirby
    Luigi
    Link

I can tell you,they are lacking in originality.
    They should focus more on creating characters
    and Hi-Def.Though Nintendo believes that
    Hi-Def was useless since at the time it was made
    there were barely any Plasma/LCD TV's being used.
    Now that millions buy these,I think their thoughts about it were wrong.And:Motion Sensitivity wow...
    that's so new -.- but it gets tiring after a while.And gets kicked in the arse by the 360's ergonomic
    and sleek design.

20. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

The only reason why I'm playing the hell out of my Wii is because I can play backups on it. The big problem though is actually finding games that will keep me playing for more than 30 minutes.

Twilight Princess is just about the only game that I've put 5 hours into already. Mariokart and SSBB are more pick up and play games...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.