1. This forum is in read-only mode.

And life takes yet another shit on me...

Discussion in 'Rants' started by Reider, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Reider

Reider Modereider

So, basically I had this paper that was due at midnight on Wednesday. I've been working on this damn thing for days and there was a specific place I was supposed to submit the thing.

I go to this place and type in my username and password like usual. It's worked every other time I've done it after all. There's literally no reason as to why this should go wrong.

NOPE, FUCK YOU! WE'RE GOING TO MAKE YOU RESET YOUR PASSWORD BY PUTTING YOU THROUGH AN INCREDIBLY ANNOYING AND TIME-CONSUMING PROCESS TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD THAT MAY OR MAY NOT WORK SINCE THE PASSWORD RESET IS AS SHITTY AS I AM.

Just to add on, I tried my password 5 times before I did the password reset and I even double checked to make sure I was typing it in correctly. I know for a fact that I haven't changed the password recently so I've no idea why it stopped working in the first place.

To say I'm pissed right now would probably be a bit of an understatement. I can really only hope the teacher is willing to accept my explanation that the site i was supposed to submit my paper to was being a piece of fucking shit and that she'll at least grade the damn thing now.

2. Stanley Richards

Stanley Richards Well-Known Member

Hopefully it would be easy to convince your teacher if you're not the only one who had this problem.

3. Void

Void Well-Known Member

Shit sucks, inadequate electronic submission services are something I can relate to

4. Jonez001

Jonez001 Well-Known Member

Making good online software for schools is hard.

5. nex26

nex26 Well-Known Member

you should wipe your ass with the paper and then submit it, stick it to the man!!

6. Nitemare_ Plague

Nitemare_ Plague Well-Known Member

Screen shot it, put it on a flashdrive and bring it straight to ur professor so he cant say ur lying

7. Reider

Reider Modereider

Nah, I was special. Story of my life.
    I hear you. Pain in the ass really.
    In lieu of your suggestion, I just drew brown spots all over the paper and gave it to the teacher after I handed in the initial one. I'm sure she'll get the message though!

Just as an update though, she did take the paper when I sent it to her via email though she docked me a couple points for it. Her reasoning was that while there was nothing I could've realistically done about what happened, I was still at fault since I didn't make damn sure it was working ahead of time.

Not completely happy with the result, but I figure based on how shitty that entire week went, that was probably as good as I was getting.

8. Hypr

Hypr Well-Known Member

Things could have always been worse, Reider. It's a good thing you at least got something for your paper assignment despite the circumstances you were in when the electronic submission system crapped out on you.

But then again, life isn't always fair...

9. gaynorvader

gaynorvader Well-Known Member

I was designing a dev-kit for the PS3 for my final year in college, was building it through YDL (Yellow Dog Linux) I had my work backed up on my college PC, online on a website for PS3 devs (PS3-dev.net or something like that) and the work was on my PS3. I had some basic stuff working, then 6 weeks before the deadline, on April 1st Sony announced that they were pulling Linux support on their consoles. I thought it was one of those April Fools jokes and more or less ignored it, until I booted up my PS3 one day and found that my house mate had updated it to play CoD:MW2 online and the update had formatted my linux partition. I had a spare PS3 in the college which hadn't been updated, so I didn't panic, but when I went into college my HDD had packed it in, I tried taking it out and putting it in a different PC but it didn't work and the college wouldn't let me try to take it for repairs. So I tried downloading my project from the net, only to find that, since Sony had pulled the Linux support, the website had sold its domain name and server space to some advertising agency, I contacted the admin and he told me he didn't even have access to the backups as he'd essentially wiped his hands of the situation.

Result? The college allowed me to change my project after 4 weeks of meetings and hemming and hawing. I did a 26 page thesis on the Cell Processor and got a passing mark for it.

I feel your pain Reider. :)