1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Anyone here build hobby kits?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by McCrazy, Jan 9, 2017.

1. McCrazy

McCrazy Well-Known Member

Let's see... where to start.

I've built two model kits beforehand, both messed up pretty bad.

One was a Tamiya Nissan GT-R. I remember loving it a lot before I spray-painted that beauty to ruin.

The other was an Italieri Alitalia-liveried Lancia Stratos. That went well. I got some of the liveries on but they didn't look good at all.

Yeah, at this point you could probably tell I'm crappy with my hands.

Anyways, as a first year college student now, I've gotten back into it by assembling a tiny 1:32 Beetle kit from Airfix, a beginner series. I was also fortunate enough to get a RX-7 FD kit for the same price as the Beetle kit, though it is significantly larger in scale.

Do any of you build Hobby Kits? If you do, let's discuss!

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

I've done a few airfix kits in the past. From memory, a harrier jump-jet which I modified with all the spare munitions left over, a sepecat jaguar (the only one to get painted) and a helicopter (Westland Wessex I think). they were a long time ago though.

3. McCrazy

The small-form Airfix models are pretty rubbish if I'm honest... either that or I am really clumsy with my hands

4. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

I built a die cast lamborgini & a plastic jaguar car model long time ago, as well as a T-rex model. These days I happily settle just making papercraft models. Got several in my showcase. :p

5. 2DamCerius

2DamCerius My eyes for your brain...fair trade.

I used to when i was about 6 and then i remembered getting legos. Model kits i used to make were mainly airplanes.

6. McCrazy

... Generally speaking kits can be a pain in the ass if you don't want to put in the extra effort and money of making it look pretty – if you leave it half-assed you'd feel like you would not be doing it justice. I know from my experience with them. I need one of those green cutting boards as well...