1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Best card for storing games?

Discussion in 'Flashcart Help' started by kankerzooi, Apr 2, 2010.

1. kankerzooi

kankerzooi Well-Known Member

Dear fellow Romulators!

I'm looking for a serious discussion, the positive and negative points of the current todays card ( Cyclone,R4 etc )

I'm currently running with a R4, but I have been in certain issues I wished I bought an different one. With YSMENU help I could play different games, but with new games coming out I always need to update it or wait for patches. Since i'm a girl ( and not really techy ) I don't know much about the different cards, and I would love people opinion about the card they use. Ofcourse naming the negative points of the card could also help me decide, as I'm trying to use mines as an MP3 player and maybe later on as a GBA emulator ( I know I need some flash 3v1 for it or something like that )

I've personally heard a lot of good things from CycloneDS, and I know they're updating while R4 is left behind ( again )

Please help me make a safe dicision, instead of ranting around how great yours is and everyone should buy the card you use

/hugs

Sarah ;D

PS: Anyone also excited about Golden Sun DS? :)

2. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

If you can't locate a cycloDS, get the acekard 2.i (or 2.1-they work the same just the 2.i works on all ds/dsi models :) )

3. Jarradwelsh

Jarradwelsh New Member

Hey Sarah ::)
    Well the best choice of card for you would be suitable to you.. for an R4 card seems to be ok, but not for many DSi updates to come, it would depend on what DS you are using whether it be DS Lite or DSi, if DS Lite then your OK, if not then R4 cards are not suitable, i would recommend an iEDGE card thats compatible with the DSi, and if looking for GBA compatibility with the DSi then get the new SuperCard DSTWO that has support for such a feature..

Cheers

P.S Sooo excited for Golden Sun DS ;D

4. Dagsie

Dagsie Active Member

Well in my opinion I think you should just stick with R4, I use R4 too and besides it's not really left behind... so far. I mean for example the Pokemon HeartGold and SoulSilver don't work for the R4 but there was a patch created and now it works... If you see my point what I'm trying to say is just save money and stick with the R4. If a game won't work in the R4 then just look for patches in the internet that way you can save money and spend it on something more important.

5. mrkurtis

mrkurtis Member

m3i zero, no negative about it

6. Kiekoes

Kiekoes Guest

You can choose from these three:
    1. Ackedat2i (Better than 2.1)
    2. iEDGE
    3. CycloDS
    Those are the best ;)

7. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

Funny how after the patches come out, people say "R4 works just fine, there are patches for the games that don't work!" yet when the game first comes out, or is leaked earlier, etc. they are shouting "Why isn't their a patch yet, it's not fair you are playing the game and I can't!!".

Stay away from anything with the R4 name on it. It won't save you money, there are much better cards out there that are the same price if not cheaper than the R4 and it's numerous clones and fakes.

8. miros

miros Well-Known Member

You will not be disappointed with the Acekard 2i, as this flashcard has the greatest compatibility for roms and optional hardware extensions (such as the ez3in1 gba flash cart). I can test from personal experience that an AK 2i running AKAIO 1.6 RC-2 with the Ez3in1 GBA flash cart can load any GBA game, NDS game, GB game, GBC game, or homebrew that exists on the internet with zero issues. I would stay away from the R4 flash cart at all costs. Countless time I have read postings on RomU asking for help to load a game because their R4 is not working, either from not patching the game correctly or the R4 was not set up correctly or there is not an update for the R4 however one is needed or they have a clone. The Acekard 2i automatically patches roms, is very easy to correctly set up, the firmware is updated very regularly, and to my knowledge there is no existence of clones or copies of the Acekard 2i. To get the most possible enjoyment out of your NDS, I recommend the Acekard 2i above any other flash cart on the market right now. Trust me, do some research, read the forums, and you will see that the Acekard 2i is your best choice. Best of luck,
    miros

9. mallardman

mallardman Active Member

cycloDS evolutions are supposedly very good;however, if you don't want to shell out $50. I would recommend an Acekard 2.1 it works fine as long as you have a good micro SD. Plus it has good Moonshell compatibility.

10. duhizy

duhizy Member

acekard 2i is definitely the best choice because almost all roms minimum 1 or 2 get patched for the acekard 2i first and its backwards compatible with the dslite and such. the other best choice would be the edgei or something like that or wut ever is the latest because the updates and patchs pretty much come in just as fast as the acekard and the 1 or 2 roms i talked about in the beginning were both patched by the edge first and the acekard following about three days later so no matter what they are both perfect for music games and homebrew and best in most peoples eyes

11. LuckyTrouble77

LuckyTrouble77 Well-Known Member

I've stuck by my R4 through and through. :p
    The $4 the actual card cost me (new) is worth the wait for each game. I'm now playing Pokemon, and honestly, I don't care that I had to wait. I find myself not being nearly as enthralled by it after completing Crystal on the Lameboy emulator just a few months back. Nintendo is just running out of ideas, and it is starting to show. :/

Back on subject though, the R4 is fine if you are cool with waiting like I am. I'm finding at this point that the games aren't even really worth the wait. D.I.Y is fun, but honestly, a game where you make games can only be fun for so long unless you are REALLY into it. Most other games either don't have AP that I have issues with, or just don't interest me in the least.

If you are really in need of a new card for roms, Acekard 2i or CycloDS for sure. For the MP3 playing and such, you can just get Moonshell. It works on pretty much everything and plays music, videos, etc. For the EZflash, once again, pretty much every card out there is compatible with it. If you can take the wait, you might as well not blow the cash on a new card (assuming you don't have one of the numerous R4 clones that isn't compatible with any released patches).

Also, yes, I am very excited for Golden Sun DS. I've been considering taking out my R4 card for a little while to play through Golden Sun and Golden Sun: The Lost Age again.