1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Best Metal Bands

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by a03dugga, Oct 24, 2008.

1. a03dugga

a03dugga Well-Known Member

Hey dudes. This is not a game, sort of an activity.
    List you numero uno Metal band of all time here, along with their song.

I havent chosen my favourite yet so i wont answer just yet.

2. grimsim1

grimsim1 Well-Known Member

Re: Best Punk Bands

My answer is....nobody...because there are no good punk bands. There is nothing good about a genre of music that uses three chords to create the same sounding songs over and over again. Sorry, but this is just my opinion.

3. a03dugga

Well ive changed it to metal bands now. I like all music apart from pop and stuff.

4. grimsim1

Now you talking my language. It's okay if you like punk, I just think its not good at all. I tried listening to other types of music but metal is the only one that appeals to me. Anyways, I love many metal bands. There are so many genres within metal (even though I despise classifications thereof) but some are necessary. My favourite metal band has, is and always will be In Flames. They are perhaps the most consistent band out there. Other notable bands are Kalmah, Children of Bodom, Kataklysm, As I Lay Dying, The Black Dahlia Murder, Dethklok, Amon Amarth, Insomnium, Disarmonia Mundi, Soilwork etc. Needless to say my best "genre" of metal is Melodic Death (Gothenburg) metal. :)

5. a03dugga

sweet for the info dude. Yh there are alot of sub-genres but i just call it all metal.
    Im actually not that much of a punk fan, i m just looking for some more artists to download.
    Will try In Flames first.

6. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

Dream Theater (progressive) and Nightwish (Operatic/symphonic) are both good.

7. jc_106

jc_106 Well-Known Member

Excuse ME?! Dream Theater are not good, they're the best thing that ever happened to Prog Metal!

As you can see from my previous comment, DT is my favourite band ever. I can't decide which music is best from them. They have done a fantastic job so far, but my favourite albums are Systematic Chaos, Train of Thought, Images and Words and Metropolis. But every single album they have is really worth listening to.

I love Rush to, although I have not decided yet which is their best album/song.

Other bands that I like a lot: Pink Floyd, Exodus, Dragonforce, Metallica, Megadeth (they're coming to Portugal this year!), Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, Dire Straits, Scorpions, Primus, etc. I listen to a nice variety of styles, although most of the time I hear DT.

8. ClydeOne

ClydeOne Well-Known Member

What genre is Atreyu in now these days?

9. Patton

Patton Guest

Dream Theater.

Also, Slipknot.

Those two are the BEST.

Period.

10. grimsim1

Octovarium was pretty good, although I will have to disagree with you. I think Opeth is a much better Prog metal band in my opinion. You're from Portugal right Jin? Do you know Moonspell? A very nice Portuguese band.

Sell-out metal. (Pop Rock)

new Slipknot album is actually really really good.

11. Loonylion

octavarium was Dream Theater's worst album if you ask me.

12. jc_106

jc_106 Well-Known Member

No one can convince me that there is a better band than DT. ;D

I do know them, although I don't like them. A bit too heavy for me.

I think so too. I never liked Awake either, but people say it's good. Ah, well...

13. grimsim1

I only own Octavarium and Train of Thought but i quite like it. But really, I like Opeth so much more. They don't always use clean vocals but their music is genius.

In Flames is the best band ever ;D I really like Moonspell, they are heavy but have a very nice gothic touch to them with some female vocals from time to time and great melancholic style music. Good stuff.

14. jc_106

jc_106 Well-Known Member

I don't like Death metal and neither do I like its variants, so In Flames is not an option for me.

Train of Thought is fantastic, I think it's the album I like the most. All songs are fantastic.

About Moonspell, they're a bit Death metal too, so nope for me. I once heard Whitechapel or something in RuR, I loved their instrumental, but then their voice came. Horrendous.

15. grimsim1

The last few In Flames albums are not really Death Metal. They have developed their own sound and its anything but Death Metal. There is no genre to place them in really. It's just a solid metal band. I do like Train of Thought.

Oh and Whitechapel are really really good :) it takes time to get used to that kind of music but there is a lot to find. The secret is to purely enjoy the music itself and actually give it time, and the vocals eventually grow on you.

16. jc_106

jc_106 Well-Known Member

I can't stand those vocals, it's horrible for me. But their instrumental is fantastic, and that's the only thing I like in Death Metal: potent instrumental.

17. Loonylion

you need to try falling into infinity, images and words, and six degrees of inner turbulence. Metropolis pt.2 Scenes from a memory is also good.

18. a03dugga

Hey thanks dudes, keep up the input for this topic.

19. a03dugga

And slipknot is one of the best.

20. grimsim1

Instrumentals are good :) at least you like that. I'm actually pretty good with vocals like that myself. My friends have a death metal band (sort of). My band will have their first show soon, when I get time off studying will concentrate more on that though. We are pretty heavy and melodic at the same time.

Thanks Loonylion, will look around for those. I like Dream Theater. Tell me though, what do you think of the new Nightwish vocalist? I like her better than Tarja. She is a little less operatic but more flexible when it comes to the types of songs they can now make. I really like Dark Passion Play.