C:\Avenger.... what is this?

Discussion in 'Computers & Modding' started by timmy1991, Sep 7, 2009.

1. timmy1991

timmy1991 New Member

I ran malwarebytes on my PC earlier today, and it said I had to reboot in order to remove one of the infected files. When I restarted my PC there was a folder in C:\ called Avenger... could this harm my PC?
    AVG did not detect any virus in the folder.
    It contains the file secedit.exe

2. kamuikurou

kamuikurou Active Member

Umm... I'm not sure but viruses or ad/mal/spywares usually hides themselves. And they can't be deleted/renamed/moved easily.

Anyway, try googling the secedit.exe and avanger keyword, it has some interesting results.

3. timmy1991

timmy1991 New Member

hmm... the search came up with everything from it being a virus to a log created by malwarebytes... still not sure what to do about it

4. kamuikurou

kamuikurou Active Member

Can you actually delete/rename/move it? Does it recreate itself? :-\

5. timmy1991

timmy1991 New Member

ok I think I have found the answer... I looked on the malwarebytes forums, and they said that it is just a leftover file that was supposed to be deleted when I rebooted, and I can safely delete the folder

6. yoshi2889

yoshi2889 New Member

try for if you not sure AVG-free, it will detect real virusses and dont make them... www.download.com

7. timmy1991

timmy1991 New Member

AVG never said this was a threat, but I have it solved now

8. yoshi2889

yoshi2889 New Member

maybe youre right... mine version is saying something: but its in dutch. it appears everytime when my computer is long time no use...

9. timmy1991

timmy1991 New Member

hmmm.. I don't know...I don't speak dutch either, the only error message I get after no using it for a while is a virtual memory shortage for some reason...

10. yoshi2889

yoshi2889 New Member

Re: C:\\Avenger.... what is this?

i can translate... only this i cant translate: Trojaans Paard PSW.VB.ATL as i said: its in the sys. directory...
    Post Merge: [time]1254681518[/time]
    and, wait... you can get into your c/ drive?! my computer crashes anytime if i want that...

11. timmy1991

timmy1991 New Member

must be just your computer... I do maintenance on peoples computers a lot, and that's the place I always go first.... never had one crash on me because I opened C:/

12. yoshi2889

yoshi2889 New Member

maybe that 'trojaans paard' thingy... i heard that it is some virus... hope it doesn`t infect my whole c:/ drive...

13. timmy1991

timmy1991 New Member

actually, now that I think about it... it has happened on one of my older computers before

14. Mikiie

Mikiie New Member

I lol'ed

15. timmy1991

timmy1991 New Member

I looked up your trojaans paard PSW.VB.ATL, it means Trojan Horse PSW.VB.ATL...
    PSW.VB.ATL is a password capturer, I highly recommend that you have your computer looked at and possibly re-install windows to prevent being hacked...
    it's spyware, so first download a spyware removal tool, and see if your problem is fixed, if not, you might want to go for the professional help, or a clean install of windows

16. yoshi2889

yoshi2889 New Member

yeah... thats what i have...

17. mds64

mds64 New Member

So do I.

18. PuffyChain

PuffyChain New Member

try scan with kaspersky...

19. theunderling

theunderling New Member

Prevention is better than the cure.Get a good AV and the resident shield should stop these things from accessing your PC.

As for paying a professional-Id rather buy a new hard drive and a copy of Windows7 than waste money with them.

20. yoshi2889

yoshi2889 New Member

Re: C:\\\\Avenger.... what is this?

??? My PC says this:

secedit.exe is a process associated with Windows Security Configuration Editor Command Tool from Microsoft Corporation.\r This file is part of Microsoft® Windows® Operating System

(Got from the internet)
    Post Merge: [time]1260552676[/time]
    T-T Why would someone hack me? You do not find any interesting files on my PC, exept my Opera passwords... (Wait a sec.: I saw that someone changed the maintenance text on my forum. It could be my admin mate, but I do not think he changed it like this: ''Hello, evil fellow members, this forum is closed, it will be opened soon for you to attack it again.'', thats not how I know him, and how everyone knows me. (I did not fantasied it, it is copied))
    Post Merge: [time]1260552783[/time]
    I didn't T_T