1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Cheats Not Working On Wood R4 (Need Help)

Discussion in 'Flashcart Help' started by drybones41, Jul 15, 2010.

1. drybones41

drybones41 Well-Known Member

I have an r4 with wood r4 1.11 and none of my cheats are working. They show up but don't work, none of them work even the most simple ones like money codes.
    I tried some old games with cheats that work but now they don't.
    My cheat database is usrcheat. Please can someone help me.

EDIT: Also tried reformatting it.

2. Fredbox

Fredbox Well-Known Member

First you need to press start and choose settings. Press R until you get to the "Patches" menu, and change "Cheat In Game(AR)" to "on". It might sound simple, but lot's of people miss that out.
    Then you go to the game you want to cheat on, bring up the cheats menu (you already know how to do that, right?), and turn on all the cheats you want (sometimes having loads of cheats on at the same time can cause problems, so be sensible). Then, press the X button (or press "Generate" on the screen). That should be it.
    Many people seem to not turn cheats on in the menu, and many people don't know they have to save which cheats they want by pressing "Generate".

3. drybones41

drybones41 Well-Known Member

I knew about activating and generating but not about turning the cheat ing game on. Thanks for the help appreciate it.

4. iluvfupaburgers

iluvfupaburgers Well-Known Member

did it work before on the wood firmware? probably its not on the right folder. also, i recomend you making your own usrcheat. the ones downloaded from other places with every game are too big, and this sometimes causes trouble, like cheats not working, or games crashing

5. Fredbox

Do you realise this has been solved? You're a bit late, and wrong.

6. iluvfupaburgers

ok, im sorry if i didnt notice if it was already solved, but im not wrong, it has happened to me, and many other people, look around the threads, or posts, whatever

7. Fredbox

Only with the original R4 firmware (1.18). I used to have the same problem that you described, but it's a completely different issue from this one, and Wood R4 fixed it straight away.

EDIT: I just want to apologise if I seem a bit angry, or anything. Just reading my posts back, it might have seemed that I was trying to pick a fight or something. I was just pointing out that you should read the whole thread carefully before giving advise that might just confuse the OP. So sorry if I seemed argumentative.

8. iluvfupaburgers

yeah, it did seem kinda angry, but no worries, thanks for clearing that up, and yes, its true, i should read more carefully next time :)

9. rikki lover 4 life

rikki lover 4 life New Member

ok so i have the newest wood wersion i think ts the 1.16 and i have the cheats in and every thing so i go to the game press y and it says cheats but whene i press on it nothing happens i dont know whats wrong with it plz help me!!! thanx

10. dharz

dharz Member

same here

11. Fredbox

So you mean you press Y on a game, and then when you press X, nothing happens? Does it freeze? Or does it just act like you never pressed X?
    Where did you put your cheat file? Where did you get the cheat file from?
    Sorry about all the questions. They help me get a good idea of what's going on.

12. dharz

dharz Member

i solved my problem. to enable cheats from r4 wood rpg 1.16 press y then press y again click compatibilty turn on the cheat in game(AR)

13. Jellybee22

Jellybee22 New Member

I have the same problem, still not solved. When I press Y on a game, then X to view cheats, it acts like I didn't press X.

Here's what I've tried:
    -I opened usrcheat.dat in r4cce, enabled R4, enabled each game, and deleted games I didn't want cheats for.
    -I put usrcheat.dat into the cheats folder.
    -I went to Settings>Patches>Cheats in Game(AR), turned it on.
    -I've gone to each game's File Information>Features>Cheats in Game(AR), turned them on, even though global(on) always worked before.
    -I even downgraded back to 1.16 since dharz seems to have fixed the problem that way; no dice.

I'm at my wit's end, help would be very much appreciated, and I'll answer more questions if I can. In the meantime I'll stick with games I don't cheat on.

14. Fredbox

I doubt dharz actually had the same problem. I think he/she just forgot to turn cheats on. To me it sounds like you've tried all the sensible things. I assume you're running Wood R4 on an original R4 and everything else is working fine?

15. Jellybee22

Jellybee22 New Member

Yes, until I upgraded I'd been running Wood R4 v1.13 with no problems. I'm 99% sure it's an original R4, according to pictures and articles I've found online.

16. Fredbox

If 1.13 ran fine, then it is almost certainly an original. Have you tried backing up your MicroSD and formatting it?

17. Jellybee22

Jellybee22 New Member

I feel so brilliant. *facepalm* I've finally figured it out.

Things that didn't work:
    -Quick format
    -Full format
    -Re-downloading and re-installing Wood R4 and usrcheat.dat

What worked: Opening usrcheat.dat in r4cce and unchecking Encrypt File.

The reason it was checked has to do with the *.xml files not working, so I see "R4???(E)" instead of "Encrypt File". It was only too easy to misinterpret that as "R4 Cheat Enable". On that note, why ARE the *.xml files not working on Windows 7?

Anyhow, BIG thank-you to FreudianLemur, you helped me re-think every little thing. I doubt I'd have fixed it without you! ;D

18. Fredbox

Great! You got it working! Don't thank me, I really had no idea what was wrong. But I'm glad it's all good now.
    Man, I love Wood R4!