1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Computer Games Make Players Less Violent

Discussion in 'Gaming Lounge' started by anandjones, Apr 8, 2008.

1. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

http://nintendo-ds.dcemu.co.uk/computer-games-make-players-less-violent-103269.html

This is pretty cool, never thought WoW can calm you down :p

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

I can quite see that games like WoW have the stated effects, but I think the jack thompson brigade will declare this study invalid because WoW isn't an FPS. (i.e no guns/gore and not particularly realistic looking.) and they will continue to preach about violent games.

3. calvin_0

calvin_0 Well-Known Member

it could be possible that they are playing lower level character and all MMORPG, lower level character is easyer and more fun compare to higher level.

4. Loonylion

unless you're being ganked.

5. Solus

Solus Well-Known Member

The most dangerous type of games that encourages violence are puzzle game, not fps. And the graphics are barely good at all. :D
    For me yeah WOW calms me down cause I find it boring. *Yawn

6. Kennington

Kennington Member

briefly stated WoW isn't good. I find it unplayable and boring. There is a reason after all that it is called world of waiting and i may safely state that fun is not the reason. I prefer a story driven RPG WRPG most of the time, but i can see why gaming makes you less violent, if you can express your hatred virtually why not do it. it may not be as 'fun', but it is more safe and legal.

7. calvin_0

calvin_0 Well-Known Member

true XD, in real life i may not fight a guy, but in game i sure wont miss a chance to snap a neck when i get to XD (MGS3)

8. kamage

kamage Well-Known Member

Agree, but Puzzle games can settle me down, like Trozeii...

I ahve been in a few fights before, but some idiot tried to take my DS... of course I fought, but my DS wasn't stole.. then again, he shouldn't of mesed with a black belt....

Anyways, Violent games release emotions taht are meant to be in real life, thus calming you down

OR it can be used as some sort of practice so when you go on your blood hungry frenzy...

9. kanwarrulz_123

kanwarrulz_123 Well-Known Member

Yah ! I agree that PC games can never harm you psychologically.

10. Crashtehelf

Crashtehelf Well-Known Member

Except for Pokemon. It plays with your mind causing severe, unrecoverable psychological damage.

11. Loonylion

Pokemon isn't a PC game.

12. Crashtehelf

It CAN be. Emulators, homebrew, etc. Just because it isn't commercial doesn't mean it doesn't exist. And, I believe, a Pokemon TCG game was for the PC (Under 'Pokemon Play It v2')

13. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Yeah but still, that doesn't really count as a PC game though. But how does Pokemon "play" with your mind?

14. Crashtehelf

Because Nintendo embedded low-frequency sound waves which strips the human psychosis and forces children to kill their family

15. Almo

Almo Well-Known Member

This has been discussed so many times, There is no right or wrong answer, video games both make people more aggressive and more placid. It all depends on the person. If you already have some sort of psychological damage then playing a game like manhunt or GTA is likely to trigger something, its happened before, people who snap and cant tell the difference between real life and the game, usually ending in some sort of mass murder. Though its a rare case from a small percentage of people, but because its happened before to 2 or 3 people then obviously it can affect us all (/sarcasm). Just like smoking, it causes blindness in a very small percentile of people, though they still state on the packet 'Smoking causes blindness'. People at the edges of extremes always use the extreme cases to try prove thier point. Just because its happened to a few people doesn't mean it'll happen to everyone. Though I can understand how playing days on end of Manhunt can F*** with your head.