1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Creating Model Tree with Play Doh\Modeling Clay.

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by calvin_0, Dec 11, 2012.

1. calvin_0

calvin_0 Well-Known Member

i'm planing a project which require me to make a model tree, does anyone know any easy way to create tree bark on play doh, modeling clay or similar compound.

i try google, but i couldnt find anything....

2. grimreaper26

grimreaper26 Well-Known Member

maybe use paper tubes or something and then just cover it with play doh?

3. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

Make it out of paper clay; it's a mixture of flour, corn starch (maizena), water, and PVC glue, also water color. There are various 'recipe' for making the dough, easy to find on the internet. Cheap method because it's home made. Alternatively, buy polymer clay packet from craft store.

To sculpt the dough to look like tree barks, I'd suggest using a hand wood carving knife. You can grab a set of various tip from a home depo/carpentry store, or use a skewer stick. To make into a tree, you'll certainly need some wires to act as skeleton. As for the leaves, you could buy pre-made plastic leaves, they come in various sizes, else make them out of the same material in use.

Probably a useful link : http://cs.finescale.com/fsm/modeling_subjects/f/44/t/140831.aspx

I don't suggest using playdoh, or molding wax, plasticine, etc. It's oily, too soft, will collect dust in the long run, and certainly won't look nice. I would have highly suggest using Semtex if it's ok should it blows up. :p

4. calvin_0

calvin_0 Well-Known Member

thanks for the link, that tree bark will work for me... but the leaf will not because that is too realistic, mine is cartoon style, so it might be easier to do.. (just couple of green blob)

i never think of paper clay before, i'll try that, originally going with play doh because proper modeling clay require baking, since i dont own an oven that will not do. air dry clay is too expensive. (play doh is RM 4.50, air dry clay is RM 13.50~Rm 20)

5. nex26

nex26 Well-Known Member

buy a tree

6. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

Paper clay is air dried. Another homemade alternative is making polymer clay, also air dried. http://thenewnew.blogspot.com/2011/06/homemade-polymer-clay.html
    You might need to adjust the recipe, too much glue could make kneading the dough becomes tough. And cover your nose while cooking the mixture, you don't want to get 'high' because of evaporated pvc.