1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Did nintendo just fry my sd card?....

Discussion in 'Flashcart Help' started by archlvt, Oct 18, 2010.

1. archlvt

archlvt Well-Known Member

I connected to DQ9s DQVC to get the new shop items for today, and it froze during the "do not shut power off" part. I waited a few minutes, it didn't budge, so I reset the ds. Went to the loading screen, and froze, so I thought "okay, must be corrupt again". So I pop it into the reader and put it in my PC, and although I hear the "doo doo" sound, nothing pops up. So I go to My Computer, hit my G drive (which is what this is), and it said "Please insert a disk to the G drive".

I tried several times to put it back in, and it's not working. This means that the DS isn't the problem, nor is the flash cart the problem, otherwise the SD card alone would work in the reader, and it doesn't.

Did nintendo do something during my dq9 connection? I've used wifi a LOT and had no problems until now. Or is it just a freak coincidence? It's a Kingston, which I hear are crap, but it didn't give me problems until today.

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

coincidence.

3. archlvt

Have you heard of this happening before? Is it normal? The thing's been corrupt and formatted like 10 times, so maybe it just couldn't handle it this time.

4. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

I've formatted a the two cards in my PSP countless times without corruptions happening.

You have an AK2i right? - http://www.akaio.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=686&f=8

5. manaseater

manaseater Well-Known Member

seems like your card was having issues from before.

i don't think nintendo fried it.

6. archlvt

Formatting doesn't CAUSE corruption. Formatting fixes the corruption. It gets corrupt all on its own.

I used to use akaio, and it became corrupt a dozen times. I switched to the official firmware, and it's been running nicely for months until today. AKAIO messed it up really bad before.

I've got a supercard dstwo on the way via mail, and I'll just buy a new 8gb sandisk at walmart tomorrow.

AKAIO is what caused my issues, not the card itself. Doesn't matter, it'll all be refreshed since I just got a new ds, getting a new supercard, and getting a new sandisk. Just wanted to see if this happened a lot.

7. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I know formatting doesn't cause corruption, only if it fails though. I thought you had asked:

You were saying that it won't format perhaps due to being formatted so much. I went to say that I have formatted a few of my micro sd cards more than ten times and I haven't had a corruption after formatting it so much.

8. Loonylion

the card has probably reached the end of its life and will no longer work.

9. archlvt

Oh, no, formatting isn't what did it. I didn't even get to the formatting stage this time around, as the formatter won't even detect that the drive exists. And yeah I gathered that the card is dead. I just wanted to know if this happens often to other people. Something like a microSD card should last more than 6 months, even under heavy use.

No big deal, it was just a 4 GBer.

10. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

I've had my a 2GB card for a few years now and it has lasted this long.

11. Loonylion

Lifespan of flash memory is measured in read/write cycles not a time period. they only last 10,000 cycles so its directly dependent on how much you use it.

12. archlvt

So I can only expect another 6 months from a new SD card if used just as heavily?

13. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

Probably so. It sucks, but that's what happens.

14. archlvt

I read that an sd card has roughly 10,000 read/write cycles. What counts as a cycle exactly? Deleting and saving files? I'm wondering if perhaps losing my data and putting it back on so many times burned through the available cycles, because these things are supposed to last at least 3 years.

15. yoshi2889

yoshi2889 Well-Known Member

Maybe the WiFi AP came up and f*cked your SD card...

Try it in a friends PC + on a Linux computer (saved my SD card).

If it doesn't work in a friends PC (and it has nu Linux) try installing Ubuntu in a Virtual Machine (VMware player preffered as it can install Ubuntu on it's own)

16. archlvt

Doesn't work on other computers... Nor should it, that makes no sense.

17. yoshi2889

yoshi2889 Well-Known Member

Yes it makes sense. I heard it had WiFi AP, blocking you from entering WiFi.

18. dancubs

dancubs Well-Known Member

Let me get this straight, wifi AP can fry an sd card? If I got it wrong, please explain where the train of thought for this situation is going.

19. archlvt

Considering I've connected to DQ9 wifi about 40 times already, I'm thinking it's not AP that caused it.

20. Loonylion

saving, adding files or deleting. Note that deleting uses the most cycles, short of formatting. Flash memory should not be formatted, ever.